Tim Hortons closes locations in Maine, Central New York

Started by retailisking, November 18, 2015, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

All ten remaining Maine locations south of Waterville have gotten the axe - both locations in South Portland (Mill Creek was a Tims/Wendy's combination restaurant) as well as Augusta, Auburn (two stores), Lewiston, Norway, Topsham, Biddeford and Scarborough. Tims aburptly pulled out of the Syracuse, New York market today as well:
http://www.syracuse.com/storefront/index.ssf/2015/11/tim_hortons_closures.html

ynkeesfn82

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on November 18, 2015, 11:35:28 AM
They plan on rethinking their US strategy and will eventually open 300 new US stores.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/2015/11/18/tim-hortons-closes-two-maine-locations/75970490/

Good luck with that! They've gotten their butts handed to them in New England. Maybe they will continue to expand in the Midwest where they seem to have gotten some traction. They're in the process of expanding into the St. Louis market.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on November 18, 2015, 04:22:33 PM
Quote from: Marc B on November 18, 2015, 11:35:28 AM
They plan on rethinking their US strategy and will eventually open 300 new US stores.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/2015/11/18/tim-hortons-closes-two-maine-locations/75970490/

Good luck with that! They've gotten their butts handed to them in New England. Maybe they will continue to expand in the Midwest where they seem to have gotten some traction. They're in the process of expanding into the St. Louis market.

Perhaps some of the farther west (but still closer to their Canadian base) locations will work better, particularly as one gets to areas that have less (or perhaps no) Dunkin Donuts in existence.  That may have been the issue in New England as DD has been there for a lengthy time and often has many stores in an area.
Kind of like the issues KK had in these same areas trying to operate with only a few locations.

store215

I don't even understand why they would have tried to open in Dunkin' territory.....maybe they should try the West Coast where Dunkin' has very little presence.

retailisking

Quote from: store215 on November 20, 2015, 01:01:43 AM
I don't even understand why they would have tried to open in Dunkin' territory.....maybe they should try the West Coast where Dunkin' has very little presence.

They do well in territories that border Canada. Maybe that convinced them that they would do well in Southern Maine, Central New York and even Southern New England. That obviously didn't happen. However, they're currently making a big push into the St. Louis market, so maybe there's something to be said for opening locations in territories that DD doesn't have a heavy presence in.

Hudsons81

They should at least try to expand into the Seattle market first-it's pretty close to Canada. There will be a problem with this though...

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on November 20, 2015, 01:28:40 AM

They do well in territories that border Canada. Maybe that convinced them that they would do well in Southern Maine, Central New York and even Southern New England. That obviously didn't happen. However, they're currently making a big push into the St. Louis market, so maybe there's something to be said for opening locations in territories that DD doesn't have a heavy presence in.

True, and you look at the Maine locations they kept open and they're all in eastern and northern Maine.

Travelling often there it appeared that the southern Maine stores were doing okay.  I was expecting a push to NH someday. 

DD is everywhere and Starbucks and McCafe were certainly hurting Tim Hortons...

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on November 28, 2015, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: retailisking on November 20, 2015, 01:28:40 AM

True, and you look at the Maine locations they kept open and they're all in eastern and northern Maine.

Travelling often there it appeared that the southern Maine stores were doing okay.  I was expecting a push to NH someday. 

DD is everywhere and Starbucks and McCafe were certainly hurting Tim Hortons...

where are they in maine now?

retailisking

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 19, 2016, 09:31:13 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 19, 2016, 08:57:28 AM
where are they in maine now?

Their locations from Waterville north remain open.

the ones around Portland and Biddeford where there last summer when I went to them.

BillyGr

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 20, 2016, 08:54:56 PM
the ones around Portland and Biddeford where there last summer when I went to them.

Looks like those were part of the closings in the first post which was in November of 2015, so after you were there but not by a lot.

JimSawhill

Tim Horton's bought Bess Eaton, I wonder what happened to the Vernon Bess Eaton/Tim Horton location.