Main Menu

Abandoned Home Office pics?

Started by truviking05, June 07, 2005, 12:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truviking05

Hey everyone! I'll be going on a trip to PA later in the summer--last year when I was there we drove RIGHT PAST a lovely abandoned Ames store. I hope it's still there this summer, because I had JUST run out of film last time! I'll take pics and try to post them. I think I posted here about that store last year--it's in West Mifflin.

Zayre88

I will probably go on a trip in southern NH, northeast MA this summer.  I hope to catch the the former Ames/Wards in Nashua NH and the two other former locations in town.  

Also get pics from Salem and Plaistow NH.  I just bought a new battery for my camera so i'm ready to go.

tokensafari

I will be making a trip to Hurricane, Wv here in the next week or so to snatch some pics of that store located there. Also, a vacant Big Bear is located in that same plaza! Lots of pics coming soon!!

PRoy

Still a nice Ames up in Augusta Maine, maybe this weekend when I am up there I will be able to get some pictures to share.

dayville81

There is an abanonded Ames store in Bloomsburg, PA at the Columbia Mall. It used to be a Hills. It has a mall entrance and outdoor entrance. The Ames sign above the mall entrance was taken down, the Ames sign above the two outdoor entrance is still there. Ames label scars visible on Columbia Mall navigational signage. This Ames had aisles almost as high as the ceiling. They had so much more merchandise in this store than Hills did.

beachgal26

Just for update sake, has anyone been able to get current pictures of any Ames that are still standing?

Ameskid

Hey, awesome,  tokensafari! I went there in maybe late '04 or '05 and got pics of it! They went on the store locator a while ago, but I hope you got access to the inside. I got one interior pic through the window and it stank. I'm looking forward to seeing exterior and interior pics of Big Bear, for I saw it but got no pictures.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I will probably go on a trip in southern NH, northeast MA this summer.  I hope to catch the the former Ames/Wards in Nashua NH and the two other former locations in town.  

Also get pics from Salem and Plaistow NH.

These were the Ames stores still standing on that trip.  I also saw former or demolished Ames stores.  By now, Augusta is being gutted for Christmas Tree Shops, half of Waterville is a Dollar Tree, Nashua will soon become a Cinema and Seabrook is still vacant. :yup:

beachgal26

What a great find!  It actually looks like there are customers at the Augusta store!!

P.S.  Do you know when those stores closed?

:):):):):)  :):):):):)

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
What a great find!  It actually looks like there are customers at the Augusta store!!

P.S.  Do you know when those stores closed?

:):):):):)  :):):):):)
It does, i have a picture of Augusta when it was open and it looks like that too.  All of them closed in 2002.  Soon, every store will be gone, demolished, renovated into another store.  Not many abandoned stores left...

Rich

Been waiting a while to get pics for you guys.  I just got my new digital camera and took some pics of a couple old Ames in my area.  There's a few more left to be explored, I just got started late and ran out of daylight.  This store is on South Park Ave. in Hamburg, NY.

Rich

Here are pics of the old Ames (this one used to be a Hills) on Lake Street in Blasdell, NY.  The old loading dock was completely submerged.  My brother called it the "urban death pool".  He also said "I didn't know Ames sold pets." when he saw that hairy spider in the pic at the bottom.

beachgal26

Wow!  What great pictures of the store.  Is the flooding in back due to all the rain that the NE has had this summer?  Do you have any info on this store and its history?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich
Here are pics of the old Ames (this one used to be a Hills) on Lake Street in Blasdell, NY.  The old loading dock was completely submerged.  My brother called it the "urban death pool".  He also said "I didn't know Ames sold pets." when he saw that hairy spider in the pic at the bottom.

u got some nice pictures i also like the spider and all that water is from all that rain we have gotten in ny and thatred cart looks like it belongs to grand union
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

C. Fontaine

Could you possibly get a full adress for the Blasdell location?  It would help in the store locator!:)

dmx10101

I'm just curious, but how do you people get inside of the closed Ames to take pictures? Do they keep the doors unlocked or do you pry open the doors or something?
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

Here a old man pulling out his dentures at an old Ames thats been turned into a flea market.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
Here a old man pulling out his dentures at an old Ames thats been turned into a flea market.

This might be the (other) store in Agawam on Suffield Street which is an active flea market operating outside an Ames. I'll be photographing that one soon upon my trip to the Big E.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Rich

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Could you possibly get a full adress for the Blasdell location?  It would help in the store locator!:)

I'll get back to you on that.  Shouldn't be too hard to find out.  Feel free to use any of those pics in the store locator section if you want to as well.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
That is definitely the Napanoch, NY location, I have posted the pictures I took in the store locator.  I recognize it from that black door in the background.  I also have an A+ pin and a bunch of employee cards found here.

darkmoon9

Hi fellow Ames/Hill workers, I worked at the Leesport DC 969 for 11 years. I have a site  for the Leesport DC and also have photo of the Cressona, Pa. Ames store at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzer9h0t/amesdc969leesportpa22/.   Check it and let me know what you think of it.  I saw that someone was looking for photos of Ames trailers, I have two  but no cabs.

BJ:bounce: 0185

C. Fontaine

shakethis1234

HoJofan206

Why does the other guy in the "dentures" picture appear to have blue teeth? :huh::huh:

lizzielizzie

I grew up in Rocky Hill, CT, where the home offices of Ames were located.  The flagship store is still standing and labelled Ames.  I don't think the home offices are labelled anymore, but the buildings are all still there.  I will take photos next month when I go home and post for everyone to see!

--liz

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by lizzielizzie
I grew up in Rocky Hill, CT, where the home offices of Ames were located.  The flagship store is still standing and labelled Ames.  I don't think the home offices are labelled anymore, but the buildings are all still there.  I will take photos next month when I go home and post for everyone to see!

--liz

YES PHOTOS! ! !  :bounce:
JN

Chuck E. Cheese

Went to the Corporate Offices Yesterday and Plan to release the Video and all Other Vacant Ames locations in CT on YouTube.

busman_49

TheFugitive

The photos are really sad.   I was there in 1988 when it was a bustling place.