Similarites between radio and retail

Started by ynkeesfn82, October 31, 2015, 07:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Much like how A&P has been selling groups of its stores to different operates such as ACME, Stop & Shop, Shoprite, etc the Davidson Media Group (DMG) which at one time has over 30 stations has been selling their stations to different groups over the past few years. Yesterday DMG announced the sale of their last 4 stations in New England.

Red Wolf Broadcasting owner of WBMW 106.5 (Pawcatuck, CT), WWRX 107.7 (Ledyard, CT), WHJJ 94.9 (Montauck/New London), and WMRQ 104.1 (Waterbury/Hartford) along with several translators and stations in Northern New England have purchased the last 4 stations in New England owned by Davidson Media Group. They are:

Massachusetts:
WSPR 1270 Springfield (Spanish)
WACM 1490 West Springfield (Oldies)

Rhode Island:
WKKB 100.3 Middletown/Providence (Spanish)

Connecticut:
WXCT 990 Southington/Hartford (Oldies)

No purchase price has been announced and Red Wolf will take over the stations immediately via LMA.

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...n-new-england/

The sales of the DMG stations have been very aggressive the last few months. I lost track of how many are left with these last 4 being sold. I know DMG will still have Spanish MEGA 1310/105.7 WEMG in Camden/Philly.

TheFugitive

Similarites between radio and retail?

Full disclosure: I have never worked in radio.  Though I've had friends who have, and
I have always wanted to give it a whirl.  (a non-issue now as I have a good day job, and
the radio industry's business model has imploded)

That being said, some similarities so far as I am aware:

1) Extreme job instability.  Town to town, up and down the dial.  While doing retail management I lived in 8 homes in 5 cities in 3 states over 10 years.  People I know who did radio experienced that scenario...or worse.

2) Fickle audiences.  Whether you are holding down the afternoon drive slot, or merchandising your toy department, and the end of the day you always end up asking yourself just WHAT THE HELL DO THESE PEOPLE WANT??  It is rarely the same year-to-year.

3) People in positions of power in your industry who think they are SOOOPER GENIUSES with game-changing scientific insights that will absolutely change your fortunes.  In reality they don't know jack about anything.  Moving the weather from the 8's to the 6's or replanogramming that counter one more time is NOT going to revolutionize the industry nor send your bottom line into the stratosphere!  Don't try and tell them that though.  Or the executives who are overpaying them.

4) People in senior levels of management who come equipped with absolutely stupefying levels of arrogance.  The most arrogant, self-centered, egotistical person I think I've ever met in person was the then-President of Service Merchandise.  Granted I had never had the opportunity to meet Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong Il.  He was nearly topped by a DM at another chain who had a conniption fit when I pointed out to him (in a store where our best selling items were Carhart Coveralls in 4X-6X) that the average customer in Lapeer County can not get down a three foot aisle.   My friend who did Top 40 radio in the 70's in Top 10 market at a station owned by a major chain experienced the same, I think.