Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

I've noticed that a lot of the shopping centers which had Jamesways are still called ''Jamesway Plaza'' or ''Jamesway Shopping Center'' today. For example, even though the Jamesway in Hammonton, NJ was turned into a Shop-Rite 5 years ago, the address still says ''80 Jamesway Shopping Center''.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I've noticed that a lot of the shopping centers which had Jamesways are still called ''Jamesway Plaza'' or ''Jamesway Shopping Center'' today. For example, even though the Jamesway in Hammonton, NJ was turned into a Shop-Rite 5 years ago, the address still says ''80 Jamesway Shopping Center''.  

it happens to a lot of stores when they go out theirs a shopping center by me that's still called Caldor plaza even though it became a Kmart nearly ten years ago
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HeatherM

While cleaning up from a flood I had....I found a gem! Somehow it has survived a bazillion years and a flood in my basement! I have an ad from Christmas of 1988...it is their 4 day marathon sale and it is in perfect condition. When I can get my scanner hooked back up I am going to scan it....

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
Here is a site packed with over eight pages of old Jamesway pictures from back in 1978!! :tumble:

http://www.allrandall.com/reunion.html Click the word ''Jamesway''  

hears a pic from that sight all i have to say is i hope they renovated this store before it closed  
The signs and checkouts look a LOT like a '90s style Kroger.  Almost disturbingly so.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

videogamer75

Those pictures are from 1978. Jamesway was not copying anyone.

shore72

Finally took the time to dig out and scan this. Sorry about the red blotch, the camera I had at the time had problems. This was taken not long after the chain closed. This was in Denton, MD and was replaced by a Roses which is still in business. Wal*mart has bought the property across the street so I look for there to be another vacancy soon. Somewhere I have a picture of the Cambridge, MD Jamesway and will get it posted later.

I liked Jamesway, it was one of my favorites. Our artificial Christmas tree came from there, among other things! In a town like Denton they were a pretty big deal-the next biggest store was probably the Dollar General.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by shore72
Finally took the time to dig out and scan this. Sorry about the red blotch, the camera I had at the time had problems. This was taken not long after the chain closed. This was in Denton, MD and was replaced by a Roses which is still in business. Wal*mart has bought the property across the street so I look for there to be another vacancy soon. Somewhere I have a picture of the Cambridge, MD Jamesway and will get it posted later.

I liked Jamesway, it was one of my favorites. Our artificial Christmas tree came from there, among other things! In a town like Denton they were a pretty big deal-the next biggest store was probably the Dollar General.

oh wow nice find cant believe they have been gone for 14 years now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

GREAT PIC!! Can't wait to see the Cambridge store picture!

I wonder if there are any pics out there of the Williamstown, NJ location.

Caldor1999

GREAT PIC!! Can't wait to see the Cambridge store picture!

I wonder if there are any pics out there of the Williamstown, NJ location.  

im sure there out there somewere i mean i was able to find a picture of the one in carmel ny (of coruse it was already closed at the time ) i may have never shopped at a jamesway but i was able to find a pic of the one in my old town
Caldor Forever!

shore72

As promised, here is the Cambridge, MD store. This one isn't so pixelated-I need to go back and rescan the other one to sharpen it up. (I'm no expert!) My notes say that this was taken shortly before it closed.

Some background: Cambridge had one discount department store, Ames, in the Cambridge Plaza shopping center. Late in the 80s Dorchester Square was built just down the road, anchored by Jamesway and Food City. In the early 90s the Ames was deemed an "underperformer" and closed. In no time at all Jamesway went out of business, leaving the town with no such store. Then, KMart bought Cambridge Plaza, replacing the Ames with a big new KMart. Within a year Wal*Mart demolished this Jamesway and moved in there. Soon, KMart closed. There are other stories, but I don't want to rattle-on too long!

Caldor1999

that jamesway looks like  it was still open at the time you took that picture
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

That is another awesome pic! Looks just like the Jamesway in Williamstown, NJ!

nims57

Where was the Acme in Cambridge in relation to this Jamesway? This store is the second picture in this thread: http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2046

shore72

Yes, the Cambridge Jamesway was open when I took that one, but my notes say that it was in the process of closing.

The Acme was in the Shoal Creek Mall, just west of the Cambridge Plaza (Ames), Dorchester Square (Jamesway) is a mile or two east, all on US 50. I can remember that Acme from when I was a young kid (70s) and they had the "fish" logo. There was a Safeway in Cambridge Plaza, at the opposite end from the Ames. They built the big new store at the other end of that center but then closed it and Super Fresh took over. A very impressive store for the time it was built (early 80s). The old Safeway became a Fashion Bug. Looks like I'll have to snap some more photos.

I have a lot of threads to go through on here!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Actually, that Jamesway became a Super Fresh.  

Which Super Fresh? I could never find one in Somers Point.

Oh wait, nevermind, I got it confused with the Jamesway in Cape May Court House, which did become a Super Fresh. I don't know what happened to the one in Somers Point.  

Correction, the one in Cape May Court House became an Acme, not Super Fresh.

nims57

Actually, that Jamesway became a Super Fresh.  

Which Super Fresh? I could never find one in Somers Point.

Oh wait, nevermind, I got it confused with the Jamesway in Cape May Court House, which did become a Super Fresh. I don't know what happened to the one in Somers Point.  

Correction, the one in Cape May Court House became an Acme, not Super Fresh.  

Do you know where the Big Lots in Somers Point is? Not Pleasantville, this is an older Big Lots, so it could have been a Jamesway.

videogamer75

No that building is too small to be a former Jamesway.

Caldor1999

heres the fishkill location when it first opened
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

cutting the ribbon
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and heres the mall entrance the neon sigh stayed on even after the location closed down
Caldor Forever!

nims57

Those photos are fantastic. Where did you find them? What year was that?

gu4ever

and heres the mall entrance the neon sigh stayed on even after the location closed down  

That's a great photo, the stonework and sign reminds me of amesman's photo from the Dutchess Mall when they were tearing down the center section that unearthed the interior stone entrance and sign remaining on the former Jamesway store.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

amesman

Scott, those are awesome pictures! where did you find those? And gu4ever, that is the same entrance that I have the picture of. Very cool to see it in it's old form. I remember it from when the mall was still open, but the store was closed.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Scott, those are awesome pictures! where did you find those? And gu4ever, that is the same entrance that I have the picture of. Very cool to see it in it's old form. I remember it from when the mall was still open, but the store was closed.  

i found them on a facebook group i was amazed when i saw them
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

if i had to take a guess jugging by the cars in the pictures and what people had on idd say sometime between 1987-1991
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres a picture of the jamesway Woodhaven Mall this location has since become a homedepot sadly
Caldor Forever!

nims57

if i had to take a guess jugging by the cars in the pictures and what people had on idd say sometime between 1987-1991

Who took that picture?