Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakethis1234

seems like when jamesway closed farm country later tractor supply when in most of them

KyleRF

My mom said that she has a picture of me when I was 1, in 1993, at halloween at the jamesway in Dover, New Jersey. I will post it as soon as I can find the picture. :)

storehistoryguy

Check out these 1990 Jamesway articles. Jamesway Article Jamesway Article

d_fife

what is probably the old jamesway location in oswego ny

d_fife

old jamesway in fulton ny

KyleRF

That would be funny if an old Jamesway location was turned into a Lord and Taylor. :insane:

I can't believe it was turned into a JC Penney though.

Caldor1999

thats funny that it turned into a JC Penny but hey i know  of a caldor that became a filene's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

KyleRF

I know of a Lord and Taylor that became a Caldor.
This was in Falls Church, Virginia, when the Lord and Taylor was not needed in the area anymore. Then, it became a Caldor and it is now a Sears.

shakethis1234

that jc penny was not the old james way the P&C cross the road was the old james way

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
that jc penny was not the old james way the P&C cross the road was the old james way

still thats one ugly looking JC Penny lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

mikey1972

There was a Jamesway in Massena, NY and another in Watertown, NY.  The Massena store was built in the mid-1980's and closed in the early 1990's.  It was converted into a P&C Foods.  The Watertown store was under several chains.  Originally a Weston's, then Jamesway, then Zayre and eventually Ames.  The store closed when Ames moved to the old Hills store in the Salmon Run Mall a few years back.  The old Jamesway is now split up into Herb Phillipson's sporting goods, Dollar Tree and Michaels crafts.  I had hoped that Jamesway would have opened a store here in Ogdensburg NY, but they never did.:(

mikey1972

BTW...would anyone happen to have a pic of the old Massena NY or Watertown NY store that they would be willing to post?:huh:

shakethis1234

That fulton jamesway was a former Korvettes  store

d_fife

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
labelscar for jamesway in Dunmore PA

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/portfolio/dunmore/default.php

What a sloppy job! Most scarring leaves when their future tenants paint over or plug previously left holes from channel signs.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
What a sloppy job! Most scarring leaves when their future tenants paint over or plug previously left holes from channel signs.

Holy crap! At least when my local Shaw's  (which was semi-local to you) closed down they had the lablescar painted over with-in 2 weeks, right dawg?

Caldor1999

onm the far right you can see a picture of the formr jamesway in peekskill ny this store was tron down in late 1997 to make way for a wal mart and it clsoed in 1995 this was one of the ancores in teh westchster mall whitch also had pergament and i think thats all it had it is now called teh cortland town center
Caldor Forever!

Ameskid

When I first saw that picture, it looked like the dirt path was fire coming out of the roof! :o
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Caldor1999

heres some james way stuff i found on flickr.com
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

shakethis1234

that ugly jcpenny in oswego use to be WT Grants Jc penny did no out side work just put their name on the building so picture the Wt grant Name on the building that what the store look like if u go in their u could tell the hair salon used to be WT grant Snack bar but is does look like a modern Jc penny on the inside

videogamer75

there is still an abandoned jamesway in williamstown new jersey. there is also an abandoned acme supermarket in the plaza

videogamer75

the former jamesway in hammonton, NJ sat vacant for 9 years and became a shop rite supermarket in 2004.

the former jamesway in williamstown, NJ is still vacant, and considering its in a pretty dead plaza, i don't think anything will move into it. all the stores now are moving into the giant store congested area of turnersville up the road. for some weird reason a lot of cars are shown parked there on the live maps picture.

the former jamesway in lakewood, NJ is now some sort of medical complex.

the former jamesway in seaville, NJ is now peebles.

Toys4Joy

Albany area had Jamesway in Saratoga Mall.  I believe orginally it was near downtown Saratoga but there was a fire and it moved to the mall.  An Ames later took that old spot near downtown Saratoga.  Now there is a dollar tree there.  I also remember a Jamesway located in Schenectady, right off of Altamont Ave.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
I've been to a Jamesway, I think the onw in brick IIRC, I rode in the car and my mommy pushed me, and i gto food, etc.  I  will never forget that story.

Interesting. :rolleyes:

Toys4Joy

KMart was off Curry road in a small plaza.  Jamesway was off altamont ave in a plaza. The Jamesway is now a Hannaford.  The other anchor in that plaza was a Shop-Rite and that later became a Great American.  Kmart left curry road probably around 1990.  I am guessing they left not soon after Kmart opened in Rotterdam Mall.  The Jamesway that was off altamont ave. probably left around 1990.  

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Catskill was turned to Ames, and the building still sits vacant. The Wal Mart Supercenter has been rumoured to start being built in 2006 sometime.

As for the Rhinebeck store, I still remember when it was standing, and I even remember going into it once as a little kid. Unfortunately, I never took a picture(I was too young..hehe -Imagines a three year old kid taking a picture of a Jamesway- Man, how I think of all the stuff I could've gotten pics of when I was little, that's all gone now...).

The Highland, New York store, which later became Ames(I remember going to that one too), is now divided into a locally owned dollar store, a Tractor Supply store, and a remaining vacant spot.

The Kingston, New York store, which was previously a Sears before moving to the mall, later became Ames, and is now still vacant.

BillyGr, was there any other Jamesway stores in Albany besides the Saratoga location? Thanks.

Not at the end - I didn't even know about the Saratoga one until after the stores had closed.  I don't know if they ever had stores in the Albany area - with one exception.

They did have one store in Rotterdam many years ago - it had to have closed in the 80's, i'd guess.  It was on Curry Road (Curry Road Plaza) - the building still sits vacant to this day (there have been several things mentioned over time, but none have actually happened).  The plaza had probably one other large store (thinking Price Chopper as they are just down the road now and they also were in Hudson in the plaza with Jamesway) and a building with a few small stores - the only thing left now is a bank.

Just to add to Hudson - the last location was what is now Staples/Goodwill, but they had an earlier location - that building was just Jamesway and Price Chopper side by side (think of the Kmart/Grocery combos) and was located behind the now empty theater building (single theater) - the lot is empty but for a partially built skeleton of steel with one block wall that was started probably 10 years ago and never went any further!

jamesway dident close any store sin the 80's from what i know tu was problye one of the 11 stores that clsoed in 1991 is the Rotterdam one still there if it is u should get some pictures

Toys4Joy

100% positive this was a Kmart.  I remember getting my picture taken here as a little kid with my sister.  I didn't see these pictures before I posted about this a few minutes ago but this makes things easier to explain!   This was a Kmart and the Jamesway you are thinking about was off Altamont Ave where Hannaford is.  I remember a card shop and a bank in this plaza off Curry.  This Kmart probably has been vacant since 1990.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Not from that site - but here are a couple shots of the (Very Former) Jamesway in Rotterdam, NY (On Curry Road - Curry Road Shopping Center).  This store closed quite some time before the chain went out (so probably late 80's I'd guess) and the building has not been used since.

The first shot is of the front of the Jamesway section, the second shows the left end of the building with two large garage doors (I don't know if they did auto repairs as many of the older stores did, or if this might have been a delivery area - there doesn't appear to be much of a road leading to the rear of the building), and the third shows the joined to the right side portion
(this was a grocery store - most likely Price Chopper since:
A: They have a newer store up the road and
B: There was a Golub Corp security van driving in the parking lot).

In addition to these two buildings, there is a section that runs perpindicular to the road (the Jamesway/Price Chopper face the road) with a (still open) bank and a (not sure if open) card shop.

wow i cant beileve that store is tsill there afert 10 years

mikey7290

Here is a pic I took of what is now in the old Jamesway in the Harte Haven Shopping Center off Route 37 in Massena, NY.  The part on the far right was added on after the Jamesway closed.

videogamer75

I miss Jamesway!!!! Out of all the big closed department stores like Ames, Caldor, Bradlees, I miss Jamesway the most. They had nice stores, a nice logo, and a friendly neighborhood store atmosphere to them. There aren't too many remnants left of them, but I do know there is a former Jamesway in Williamstown NJ that has been VACANT SINCE 1995!!! The same plaza also has a vacant Acme that closed a long time ago. There are no remnants of either still left in the plaza except there is a road sign going towards a street splitting off of the black horse pike that has a darkened Acme oval logo in it, with the word Acme just barely readable. All the stores moved up to the giant retail congested area of Turnersville, NJ which is right up the road from Williamstown (and also houses NJ's first Walmart Supercenter). I don't think anyone will ever move into the old Acme and Jamesway spaces. I think it would be cool to have a go-kart race track in the Jamesway, like they did with that former Walmart in Round Rock, TX. That seems like a very cool way to renovate old, former, vacant department stores. :)

Also, here is an interesting article talking about the opening of the Wal-Mart in Turnersville, NJ, which happens to be NJ's first ever Wal-Mart store in addition to being NJ's first Walmart Supercenter, and what the rival stores (including the Jamesway) did to counter-act the opening day sale at Walmart:

Article about Wal-Mart Opening in Turnersville, NJ and What Other Stores Did To Counter-Act It.