Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Here is the Coupons sign. Does anyone have a pic of the Harleysville Pa. Jamesway?

storehistoryguy

I really miss Jamesway. They were so 80's retro.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
I really miss Jamesway. They were so 80's retro.

thats true there was one in carmel NY but its was closed when i saw it back in 1996 thats when i first saw a Jamesway latetr on i found out a lil about it:)

they havent opened a store since 1990 and there last big expansion of stores happend in 1988 they dident open any in 1989 in 1990 they had 135 stores they were even bigger then Bradlees:) but they closed 11 stores in 1991 and 23 stores in 1994 and closed the remaning 24 stores in decememebr 1995
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

Look what I found at the old Amsterdam Howard Johnson's...hehe

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

Nice! :yup:

Caldor1999

wow now thats old it probley hasent been on the road since 1995 or maby even earyler:o
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

powersbt

Nice Find!! Can't believe the letters weren't all painted over at some point in time. For the right price, I'm sure you could take that home with you.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
Nice Find!! Can't believe the letters weren't all painted over at some point in time. For the right price, I'm sure you could take that home with you.

maby thats how jamesway made there trucks heh but is that the llast logo they used???
Caldor Forever!

shakethis1234

Are the owners of Jamesway still alive

shakethis1234

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234

Probebly. They were put out of business so they're probebly working at Wal-Mart now. Poor guys.

storehistoryguy

Here is a picture of the Harleysville Pennsylvania Jamesway. Its the store all the way down on the left end. > Click Here! The store opened during the early 70s and closed in 1996. That part of the building was knocked down for a supermarket. That was a historic Jamesway! In the lobby they had left the old pay phone and it was an old 70s one where you had to turn the wheel, the old fashioned typed phone. It also had the checkouts in mint condition. It was also a pretty nice building. R.I.P.

DutchessMallMan

Hey Everyone! I thought this would be a great time to submit my photos of my Jamesway truck I have. As a child ironically I collected tracktor trailers of businesses which varied from sports teams to retail. Here are several quick photos for everyone to utilize. This is great timing, do to the real Jamesway truck recently posted, we can compare this toy Jamesway truck to figure out the debatable approximate age of the real 18 wheeler. The Jamesway truck was purchased in 1992. Here are the pics, enjoy everyone. Be well. :bouncing:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by DutchessMallMan
Hey Everyone! I thought this would be a great time to submit my photos of my Jamesway truck I have. As a child ironically I collected tracktor trailers of businesses which varied from sports teams to retail. Here are several quick photos for everyone to utilize. This is great timing, do to the real Jamesway truck recently posted, we can compare this toy Jamesway truck to figure out the debatable approximate age of the real 18 wheeler. The Jamesway truck was purchased in 1992. Here are the pics, enjoy everyone. Be well. :bouncing:

so taht was teh last logo they used well the one in teh dutchesse is still there vacant just with out the logo heh
Caldor Forever!

DutchessMallMan

Hey Everyone! Hey what's up Caldorman! Yeh, you are deffinitely right, to my knowledge I believe the Fishkill, NY Jamesway is one of only 5-6 tri-state area locations that are still remaining undisturbed. The Fishkill, store was my favorite Jamesway of them all. I use to shop at 2 or 3 of them regularly, but the Fishkill store was the cleanest, friendliest and most organized store in the area. This store was exspecially superb compared to the Newburgh, NY store or even the Peekskill, NY store. I trully believe that out of the 6-8 department stores in the past ten years that have closed do to the rath of the chinese monopoly called Wal-Mart; Jamesway ranked second place out of my top 10 stores to shop at of all time. This means quality, price, clean, great customer service, and a call beyond the duty to serve the customer and make a happy sale. Here is my current list:

1. Caldor
2. Jamesway
3. Ames
4. Service Merchandise
5. Bradlees
6. Wards
7. Burlington Coat Factory
8. Pergament
9. Best Buy
10. Media Play

This list, is a rough one, but the top several stores I am sure of, they deffinitely deserve the credit, exspecially Caldor, Jamesway & Ames! Well, anyways back to Jamesway. Back when I was a few moons younger, I use to shop as freakwently at Jamesway with my family as a suburbian stupid soccer mom shops at China-Mart today. We shopped so much there, that some of my family members made life time friends with several of the associates in the Fishkill store. When the store closed I specifically remember our family following one cashier we knew from Ames, then when that specific store closed to Jamesway then when the chain closed to Caldor. After that store closed my family still kept in touch, and the cashier whos name I do not recall, had the dignity and ethics, not to go work for the China-Mart being built in Fishkill. Well anyways here is a recept, from me buying one of my first VCR's and take notice to the year, price back then, tax and Jamesway logos. I hope this rare find is enjoyable for all. I have more where that came from, and hopefully I can share it with all of you fellow reail history lovers soon. Peace & Be Well. :)

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by DutchessMallMan
Hey Everyone! Hey what's up Caldorman! Yeh, you are deffinitely right, to my knowledge I believe the Fishkill, NY Jamesway is one of only 5-6 tri-state area locations that are still remaining undisturbed. The Fishkill, store was my favorite Jamesway of them all. I use to shop at 2 or 3 of them regularly, but the Fishkill store was the cleanest, friendliest and most organized store in the area. This store was exspecially superb compared to the Newburgh, NY store or even the Peekskill, NY store. I trully believe that out of the 6-8 department stores in the past ten years that have closed do to the rath of the chinese monopoly called Wal-Mart; Jamesway ranked second place out of my top 10 stores to shop at of all time. This means quality, price, clean, great customer service, and a call beyond the duty to serve the customer and make a happy sale. Here is my current list:

1. Caldor
2. Jamesway
3. Ames
4. Service Merchandise
5. Bradlees
6. Wards
7. Burlington Coat Factory
8. Pergament
9. Best Buy
10. Media Play

This list, is a rough one, but the top several stores I am sure of, they deffinitely deserve the credit, exspecially Caldor, Jamesway & Ames! Well, anyways back to Jamesway. Back when I was a few moons younger, I use to shop as freakwently at Jamesway with my family as a suburbian stupid soccer mom shops at China-Mart today. We shopped so much there, that some of my family members made life time friends with several of the associates in the Fishkill store. When the store closed I specifically remember our family following one cashier we knew from Ames, then when that specific store closed to Jamesway then when the chain closed to Caldor. After that store closed my family still kept in touch, and the cashier whos name I do not recall, had the dignity and ethics, not to go work for the China-Mart being built in Fishkill. Well anyways here is a recept, from me buying one of my first VCR's and take notice to the year, price back then, tax and Jamesway logos. I hope this rare find is enjoyable for all. I have more where that came from, and hopefully I can share it with all of you fellow reail history lovers soon. Peace & Be Well. :)

t though the jamesway was in moheagan lake cause it was in teh moheagan mall or something there was a pergament there and  a walbaums i saw the mall back in 1996 wal marty and home depot took it over  and opend in 1998 right next to a caldor too and put that store out of bizz
Caldor Forever!

store215

Jamesway really did not go out of business because of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart had very few stores, (if any) in this part of the country (meaning east coast area states) around 1995. One of the first Wal-Mart stores in the Philadelphia area wasn't built until 1997--back when the company still had a little dignity. Jamesway was hurt by other stores of the time that were still successful: A combo of Bradlees/Caldor/Kmart/and even the growing Ames at the time all hurt Jamesway.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Jamesway really did not go out of business because of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart had very few stores, (if any) in this part of the country (meaning east coast area states) around 1995. One of the first Wal-Mart stores in the Philadelphia area wasn't built until 1997--back when the company still had a little dignity. Jamesway was hurt by other stores of the time that were still successful: A combo of Bradlees/Caldor/Kmart/and even the growing Ames at the time all hurt Jamesway.

wal mart took over many of there locations but i kida blam wal mart for add on to the closings of caldor and bradlees
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears teh old Jamesway still standing i wonder what it looks like inside????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears were teh logo use to be
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears were u would enter
Caldor Forever!

davcolli

I used to work for Jamesway. I had a District Office in that Fishkill Jamesway for a while. It was a nice place.

store215

Well...it's 10 years since Jamesway announced their G.O.B. I don't know the exact date, but I know a videotape I have recorded on Thanksgiving Day 1995 has a store closing commercial on it.

Caldor1999

anyone know what ever happend to this james way its in sea vill NJ this pic was takeing in 2002 idk what happend to it i  wonder if its still there
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

Where exacly is Seaville Nj.? North? South? I wanted to go explore this Jamesway.

Caldor1999

Where exacly is Seaville Nj.? North? South? I wanted to go explore this Jamesway.
idk were it is and i dont know if its still even there im guessing its in sourthen NJ if u can cheack it out sometime but idk if its still there that pic wa stakeing in 2002
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

BillyGr

Acccording to a New Jersey Map I have - the town is located right at the intersection of a State Route 50 and US Route 9 (main N/S Route) just west of the Garden State Parkway at Exit 20 - so about halfway between the Atlantic City area and Cape May.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

Acccording to a New Jersey Map I have - the town is located right at the intersection of a State Route 50 and US Route 9 (main N/S Route) just west of the Garden State Parkway at Exit 20 - so about halfway between the Atlantic City area and Cape May.

Okay, well thanks, I know how to get to the Route 50 from where I am.