Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteThis is my photo, I uploaded it to Flickr in October 2008. It is in Williamstown, NJ, not PA.  

My bad.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Jamesway took over many locations from Woolco, and they bought out an entire chain of stores called Weston's in the 1980s. They also took over one former J.W. Mays store. Other than that, the majority of Jamesway stores were built new.  

We had a Westons in Painted Post, NY that closed and became a Murphy Mart, then Ames.

Jamesway also took over certain Two Guys and King's stores.

videogamer75

Right, like how they took over the Two Guys store in Vineland, NJ, which is sadly now knocked down with a [huge surprise here] Wal-Mart Supercenter in its place.

nims57

Right, like how they took over the Two Guys store in Vineland, NJ, which is sadly now knocked down with a [huge surprise here] Wal-Mart Supercenter in its place.  

This one in Dunmore, PA is a former W.T. Grant and later King's (which closed in 1984). The Jamesway closed with the rest of the chain in 1995, then became Big Lots in 1997.

jmcnamara96

they couldn't even paint the label scar?

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Sounds cool! Have an address or other info?

The road that it would be on would be NYS Rt. 14 Between Watkins Glen and the Next town South of it, which on the map is Montour Falls. The store may have been a bit farther south than Montour Falls. I remember having to stop there at that parking lot of the Jamesway, probably to turn around.

I looked up ''Montour Falls Jamesway'' on Google and found that is no longer vacant. In fact, it has been a medical facility since 1999. It just looks vacant on the outside.

videogamer75

I like Wal-Mart but I thought it was totally unnecessary to build one within 5 miles of the existing Millville location as well as over 5 supermarkets. I wish the Jamesway/Rickel plaza stayed up at least a little while longer so I could've get pics of it.

videogamer75

There are some still-vacant Jamesways out west in PA, but that's too far for me to go.

patk

the former Jamesway in Middletown, PA as of 3/17!

the sign^

the front of the store^ (if you are nere it you can see the old name :insane: )

and the back with old carts (thay got new ones)
and thats all :yup:

Caldor1999

heres a jamesway thats now a flea market in PA you can still see they have the logo still on the store but its painted a nasty yellow

picture was takeing by joshaustin610 on flickr
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears a still vacant jamesway in Tamaqua pa picture taken by joshaustin610 on flickr
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

nims57

The Pepsi logo here was the one during their famous "Madonna controversy".

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

that pepsi logo was used looooong before the madonna controbersy but its a much better logo then the one they have now
Caldor Forever!

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

that pepsi logo was used looooong before the madonna controbersy but its a much better logo then the one they have now  

Right, but the cars in the photo date it to around the late 80's.

Caldor1999

Right, but the cars in the photo date it to around the late 80's.

from what i know about these pictures they were taking sometime betwee1988/1991 jamesway stoped expanding around 1992  
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Look what I found at the old Amsterdam Howard Johnson's...hehe

Is that still there?

videogamer75

Here's another picture I took of the former Jamesway in Williamstown, NJ. Castleford Tailors has moved out, and the building is now vacant again.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
does anyone have any old slogans of jamesway?

we care (80's?)

videogamer75

The full slogan was ''We care about you...the James-way'' there is even a commercial on YouTube where you can hear it.  Search up ''WCAU Commercials Jamesway'' in the search bar

videogamer75

According to an article I read online, Jamesway's former corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ is now owned by Major League Baseball and serves as a studio for The MLB Network.

videogamer75

Here is a site packed with over eight pages of old Jamesway pictures from back in 1978!! :tumble:

http://www.allrandall.com/reunion.html Click the word ''Jamesway''

Caldor1999

Here is a site packed with over eight pages of old Jamesway pictures from back in 1978!! :tumble:

hears a pic from that sight all i have to say is i hope they renovated this store before it closed
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

i also noticed that they used a different logo
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

hears a pic from that sight all i have to say is i hope they renovated this store before it closed  

They probably did renovate it. I think the site said it was somewhere in New York. Also, there's a video on YouTube that shows the inside of the Somers Point, NJ Jamesway back in 1991.

catsnap1972

They obviously weren't using those old NCR mechanical cash registers in more recent years :)

nims57

They probably did renovate it. I think the site said it was somewhere in New York. Also, there's a video on YouTube that shows the inside of the Somers Point, NJ Jamesway back in 1991.  

Is that the Big Lots now?

videogamer75

Actually, that Jamesway became a Super Fresh.

nims57

Which Super Fresh? I could never find one in Somers Point.

videogamer75

Which Super Fresh? I could never find one in Somers Point.

Sorry, I was thinking of something else. I don't know what happened to the one in Somers Point.

Caldor1999

i wouldn't be surprised they did a lot of renovating in the early 90's im still wondering about that logo they had in there stores im wondering if they ever used it
Caldor Forever!