Miracle Mart

Started by Zayre88, December 11, 2005, 04:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Miracle Mart was the discount store chain created by Steinberg's supermarkets to attract more shoppers and to face other discounters that expanded in Canada like Kresge, Woolworth's and others.

The chain never became a leader of the industry because the managers were from the grocery business.  In the 80's or early 90's, the chain was renamed "M" stores in an attempt to save the company but they finally closed later along with the supermarket chain wich bankrupted.

Zayre88

storehistoryguy

Here are a couple pictures of a closed one in Peoria, Illinois in 1988.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/index.html

XDeSuEhTX

Miracle Mart. Greenfield, QC. I do believe.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

After reading a bit up on this chain, I'm under the impression that Miracal Mart was owned by a chain called Steinberg's.

A model of the store.

XDeSuEhTX

CTAmeshopper

Fascinating, I wonder why it's so easy to find pictures of this chain, but to  find anything on Stars is next to impossible. Maybe they got nationwide and Star's didn't.

Zayre88

Nice pictures, Miracle Mart is a discount chain started by Steinberg's, a supermarket chain.  They paired existing stores with Miracle Mart stores to boost traffic.  It was a very profitable move because Steinberg's owned almost every shopping centers in which they had stores.

Miracle Mart eventually became "M" stores in the late 80's. The chain was liquidated in 1992.

Retail_247

There was another store chain under the name "Miracle Mart" in the U.S. that was completely unrelated to the Canadian one. The unrelated U.S. stores were acquired by King's.
Retail_247