Pep Boys sold to Bridgestone for $835 million

Started by retailisking, October 26, 2015, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

I predict the retail stores will be divested by Bridgestone as they specialize in service. O'Reilly, perhaps?
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20151027_Philly_icon_Pep_Boys_ends_94-year_run__selling_to_Bridgestone.html

ynkeesfn82

They built a Pep Boys in Bristol, Connecticut in 1997. It didn't last too long and now it has been a Harley Dealership for longer than it was Pep Boys.

The property is still in the name of The Redman Family (who has owned the property since the dawn of time) in care of The Pep Boys Tax Dept. Meaning that the Harley Dealership is leasing the building from Pep Boys.

http://gis.vgsi.com/bristolct/Parcel.aspx?pid=2078

The one in Meriden, Connecticut closed close to 10 years ago and is now Planet Fitness.

In the mid 1990s they were proposing to build a Pep Boys in AMES Plaza in Southington in a new building next to TJ MAXX, knocking down the building housing the Senor Poncho's Mexican Restaurant. They were going to build a new building for Senior Poncho's next to Pizza Hut in the same plaza. What ended up happening instead is Senor Poncho's moved to the Oak Hill Mall Plaza and became El Sombrero (now Eddie's Sombrero) and they demolished the Senor Poncho Building and Pizza Hut Building and built a Ruby Tuesday and Outback Steak House. Ruby's closed in January 2015 and is now IHOP.

Hudsons81

A Pep Boys opened on Fort Street in Southgate, Michigan in the mid-1990's. It only lasted a few years and it later became a local tire shop and eventually a Mitsubishi dealership. The repair bays are still sometimes in operation today-and still have Pep Boys signage-but the rest of the building is now vacant. In fact, it's other tenants have been in operation for a combined time longer than it ever operated as Pep Boys.

TheFugitive

Pep Boys has a local shop near me that is repair-only and does not have a retail store attached.
It is on PA Route 88 in Castle Shannon.  Formerly a location of Flynn's E&W Tire (a local chain).
Perhaps they are the prototype for where the company is going?

store215

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 27, 2015, 10:40:31 AM
Pep Boys has a local shop near me that is repair-only and does not have a retail store attached.
It is on PA Route 88 in Castle Shannon.  Formerly a location of Flynn's E&W Tire (a local chain).
Perhaps they are the prototype for where the company is going?

There are a couple of these in my area of southeastern PA too. They don't seem to be too successful...honestly the Pep Boys brand is a bit 'tainted' when it comes to car repairs...most people I know have not had good experiences. Maybe Bridgestone will convert these to one of their other brands like Firestone/Tires Plus.