Chevrolet Caprice Classic

Started by amesman, June 05, 2005, 07:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

Talk abut the Caprice Classic here. In my opinion, it was the best car GM ever made. They discontinued it in 1996 :(

Zayre88

It's not my kind of car but it had a distinctive style.  The Police cars were better than with the replacement Impala introduced in 2000.  

I liked the "Impala SS" based on the Caprice

store215

My grandmother has one from 1984 and still drives it once in a while to do local errands (They have a '89 town car for further trips). It is in very poor condition though:(

amesman

Well, in this day in age, if you want a 90's era Caprice, you're better off getting a civilian model, rather than the 9C1 Police Package(for obvious reasons). Plus, it'll save you money too..heh. Just ask my friend Brian ;)

Jag67

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
My grandmother has one from 1984 and still drives it once in a while to do local errands (They have a '89 town car for further trips). It is in very poor condition though:(

ohh!!! Put it on the beater page!! lol just kidding:roll:

The caprice was ok, I liked the 1977-1990 models best. They're pretty popular for demolition derbies.

amesman

The FCaprice has been gone for 9 years,a nd you haven't noticed yet? heh :P Yeah, I hate the new Impala. I'm waiting to see what the new Dodge Charger Police car is going to look like.

Zayre88

If i was pulled over by that, i would stop right away!!! :holysh:

HoJofan206

Chevy was not wise to drop the rear wheel drive Caprice model.  They handed all of those "working" car sales to ford with the Ford Crown Victoria.

Who ever said Chevy made smart decisions.  Look at their vehicle sales numbers and you will see......

storehistoryguy

HoJofan206

That most recent pic of a Caprice was the "snazzy" Grandma Conger edition!!

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
CCC

That's a 96. You can tell the difference between a 96 and all the others by the back corner window's shape. There are other differences as well, such as smooth seats instead of ribbed seats, a different oil guage, and oxygen sensors on the catalytic converter..

HoJofan206

Is is just me or does GM tend to drop the vehicles that they do sell and keep the ones that done sell well

Dropped:            Kept:
Caprice               Malibu
Camaro               Aveo
Cavalier              Monte Carlo

jmcnamara96

My cuzin hit a deer and all it did is ruin the grill and he was going 55!

jmcnamara96

My aunt had a 1987 caprice classic wagon

jmcnamara96

My father use to by those and Crown Vics of the Mass PD and beat them till they died and junked um :)  And we use to have a 2001 Impala was really nice but the headgasket went it always had over heating problems that why my dad got it so cheap

nims57

Quote from: amesman on June 05, 2005, 08:04:29 PM
Well, in this day in age, if you want a 90's era Caprice, you're better off getting a civilian model, rather than the 9C1 Police Package(for obvious reasons). Plus, it'll save you money too..heh. Just ask my friend Brian ;)

What obvious reasons? The police models should be cheap used!

amesman

Well, to add to my 4-5 year old comment, which re-reading seems a bit off from what I was actually trying to say, my point was this: Some of the police models, especially ones turned out under 100,000 miles had issues, and in some cases, but not all, they were not worth the headache that came with them. Also, occasionally you'll find a dealer who sells former police cars(there's one by me, so I can testify to this) who has the cars just sitting, out in the elements for long periods of time. That, coupled with the age of the car, is not good. However, you can usually find some out there that are in good shape. The ones that sit awhile are usually checked out and fixed up well enough to be road worthy. But it's hit or miss. I myself have a former 1994 9C1 that was a New York State trooper car, and it does pretty well and is in good shape. Not too many big problems(yet anyway), and mostly misc maintenance type stuff so far.