Dunkin Donuts shutting down 100 locations

Started by ynkeesfn82, October 01, 2015, 01:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

And they just sent me a whole bunch of coupons too.   :(

JimSawhill

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
And they just sent me a whole bunch of coupons too.   :(

I guess it wasn't time to make the donuts at Speedway stations (the old Hess stations). They closed the DD at the Speedways in Tampa...

BillyGr

Could very well be that Speedway wants to bring in their own brands rather than Dunkin - since the contract was with Hess, they could (probably) switch it now that Hess is no longer the owner.

They are (or were) an interesting set up - the stores had coffee, iced coffee and some bakery items set up for self service, where most any other station with a DD has a separate counter and staff (and many drive thru as well).

mixedday

I think there are way too many Dunkin Donuts locations in NJ, which leads to every town looking the same. On the other hand, I find most locations very clean and it's a nice place to get coffee or beverage and food, and WiFi, so I can't really complain. I don't really like the ambience of the flat screen TVs on high volume on CNN or Fox News, though.

On WiFi: I've been to more Starbucks where WiFi was unreliable. And I dislike Burger King's idea of free WiFi, where I have to interact with ads in order to earn WiFi.

But on the number of Dunkin location, in Cherry Hill NJ, there are 8 Dunkin Donut locations. This is just one township in NJ, in Cherry Hill, and not surrounding towns that 8 Dunkin Donuts are operating (according to the website). At one point, I figured Dunkin might even open by the high schools, train stations and by the churches/synagogues in towns. They used to be within a ShopRite but it left that location.

They operate by NJ Transit stations up in Northern NJ, and they are prevalent by subway stations in cities.

Dunkin Donuts generally doesn't go or stay long in enclosed shopping malls, but they have a location still in Quakerbridge Mall up in Central NJ. It's always interesting to see Dunkin in shopping malls, as it's rare, as I figured the chain didn't like it or the mall owners courted chains like Cinnabon instead. Dunkin used to operate in Neshaminy Mall.

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on October 06, 2015, 09:41:57 PM
Dunkin Donuts generally doesn't go or stay long in enclosed shopping malls, but they have a location still in Quakerbridge Mall up in Central NJ. It's always interesting to see Dunkin in shopping malls, as it's rare, as I figured the chain didn't like it or the mall owners courted chains like Cinnabon instead. Dunkin used to operate in Neshaminy Mall.
Dunkin' Donuts still has location on the outskirts of Neshaminy Mall, in a former Mobil gas station that DD shares with Rita's Water Ice
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailfan

Speedway uses krispy kreme donuts  not as good as dunkin  they are brought in each day
Speedway sees Dunkin as competition since they sell hot breakfast sandwiches and coffee .

BillyGr

Quote from: retailfan on January 12, 2016, 03:28:21 PM
Speedway uses krispy kreme donuts  not as good as dunkin  they are brought in each day
Speedway sees Dunkin as competition since they sell hot breakfast sandwiches and coffee .

The issues are that:
- Where Speedway has acquired the Hess chain (many in the Northeast, NY, NJ) Krispy Kreme doesn't exist.  Some areas they were in then pulled back out of, and there may be a handful of stores left but not enough to provide product to all the former Hess locations.
- Store size - A number of the former Hess locations were built with the store between the pumps.  Therefore, even the ones with Dunkin generally have just a couple coffee pots, maybe iced coffee and some may have a small rack with donuts in it.  None of them (that I know of) are even service, just serve yourself.  And at least one is built into what would have been an old Hess with the small building that originally had only a restroom and a little area for the cashier/pumpers (back when all areas had full serve) and they only carry hot coffee and tea.  So it may be a bit difficult to institute any kind of uniform offering for a while unless/until they see if they can renovate these locations (some can, some do not have space to) into full sized stores.

buzz86us

Quote from: mixedday on October 06, 2015, 09:41:57 PM
I think there are way too many Dunkin Donuts locations in NJ, which leads to every town looking the same. On the other hand, I find most locations very clean and it's a nice place to get coffee or beverage and food, and WiFi, so I can't really complain. I don't really like the ambience of the flat screen TVs on high volume on CNN or Fox News, though.

On WiFi: I've been to more Starbucks where WiFi was unreliable. And I dislike Burger King's idea of free WiFi, where I have to interact with ads in order to earn WiFi.

But on the number of Dunkin location, in Cherry Hill NJ, there are 8 Dunkin Donut locations. This is just one township in NJ, in Cherry Hill, and not surrounding towns that 8 Dunkin Donuts are operating (according to the website). At one point, I figured Dunkin might even open by the high schools, train stations and by the churches/synagogues in towns. They used to be within a ShopRite but it left that location.

They operate by NJ Transit stations up in Northern NJ, and they are prevalent by subway stations in cities.

Dunkin operates a store in Crossgates Mall in Albany NY in the old Sprint store

nysw3636

The Speedway in Highland, NY on RT 299 (store #7788) was remodeled last month and has kept Dunkin Donuts. The other Speedway in Highland on RT 9W (store #7879) no longer has Dunkin Donuts after the remodel. The RT 299 location was an independent location and was originally called Lloyd Country Store.

Chuck E. Cheese

Speedway took over Hess in Kent/Holmes area NY, I Can't help but seeing Hess Green everywhere..

BillyGr

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on January 30, 2016, 05:56:41 PM
Speedway took over Hess in Kent/Holmes area NY, I Can't help but seeing Hess Green everywhere..

Actually they took over Hess everywhere - Hess is now just a production/exploration company with no retail at all.