AMC in talks with bankruptcy firm

Started by retailisking, April 13, 2020, 01:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esw01407

Really bad for northeast/central PA. Three AMC's alone, add Fairgrounds Square Mall for a fourth. Nearest theaters after that would be two Regals, and drive in's.

deerwrecker2017

It is actually really bad in general when a Movie Theater chain looks at declaring bankruptcy.

AMC Theaters filing for bankruptcy would also have a negative impact in the Pittsburgh area (Although it might not be as severe as Northeast PA) as they operate a few theaters in the area (There is a number of movie theaters in the area that are not operated by AMC Cinemas).

buzz86us

good.. I never really cared for AMC, they charge $15 minimum to go see a movie that is straight-up robbery. When you've shown no good faith in the best of times people don't care about you in the worst of times. Hopefully the individual branches get snapped up by local owner/operators, that will price movie tickets reasonably.

esw01407

Quote from: buzz86us on April 15, 2020, 07:46:01 AM
good.. I never really cared for AMC, they charge $15 minimum to go see a movie that is straight-up robbery. When you've shown no good faith in the best of times people don't care about you in the worst of times. Hopefully the individual branches get snapped up by local owner/operators, that will price movie tickets reasonably.

For us basic tickets were down to $7 a showing, but we have a classic. I know a lot of fancier city locations had high prices. Our local theater started out as a almost unknown Ames location (It's not even in the database), opened as a small chain known as Cinema Center, got bought by Digiplex, than Carmike, and finally AMC. These sales all occurred in the 10 years, AMC was the only chain to update the signage.

deerwrecker2017

For me it's been years since I have set foot inside a Movie Theater. Considering the prices that they currently charge for Tickets and Concessions I don't ever see myself setting foot inside any Movie Theater again.

Personally any Movie Theater that does charge $15.00 just for someone to see a movie are truly considered to be nothing more than just full blown thieves.

Brammy

The last movie I saw at a movie theater was Ted. The movie about the weed-smoking, foul-mouthed teddy bear that stared Mark Whalberg and a bunch of the actors from Family Guy. It was at Rave in Southington, which is now AMC-Starplex. It was a early morning $5 matinee.

I went to the local AMC Theatre in Plainville, CT in November 2015 to see a matinee showing of The Snoopy Movie. I go into the theater and in the lobby there was a scrolling message saying the 10:30AM (I think it was 10:30AM) Showing of The Snoopy Movie was canceled due too technical difficulties. This was just a few months after a multi-million dollar renovation project was completed.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Also. In 2009 I had an interview at the Plainville AMC. I was 20-something. The Manager basically reused to hire me becauseI was too old. He didn't use those exact words because it's illegal to say they won't hire you because of their age, but he said that he would rather hire a 16 year old high school student with no work experience.
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

Quote from: bjs203marc on April 15, 2020, 05:45:38 PM
The last movie I saw at a movie theater was Ted. The movie about the weed-smoking, foul-mouthed teddy bear that stared Mark Whalberg and a bunch of the actors from Family Guy. It was at Rave in Southington, which is now AMC-Starplex. It was a early morning $5 matinee.

I went to the local AMC Theatre in Plainville, CT in November 2015 to see a matinee showing of The Snoopy Movie. I go into the theater and in the lobby there was a scrolling message saying the 10:30AM (I think it was 10:30AM) Showing of The Snoopy Movie was canceled due too technical difficulties. This was just a few months after a multi-million dollar renovation project was completed.

The last movie I saw at a AMC Theatre was Sonic The Hedgehog in Plainville, CT the weekend it came out (Sunday February 16). It was a very good action movie. I have also been to the Southington, CT location (I was last there early on March 3 2019, right after we went to Tops Marketplace (IGA) that was caught on flames a night later (it was also on a day my hometown Kmart in Vernon, CT closed its doors permanently) to go see the movies). Even though we have a Cinemark theater closer to our house than those AMC locations I just mentioned above, I haven't been here in quite a number of years.

EddieJ1984

The last movie I saw was Star Wars: Rise Of The Skywalker at AMC Woodhaven 10

I used to work for AMC Neshaminy 24 for 6 years from 2003-2009. They would hire people of all ages when I worked there. (I started when I was 18)

I never imagined them being in this spot when I worked there but now, after hearing of them doing bad even before this, it's a shame, hopefully they will survive this.

EddieJ1984

Now they in talks with Amazon according to rumors.