500K shopping plaza planned for Westbrook, Maine

Started by retailisking, September 17, 2015, 11:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Seems pretty risky to build on the edge of a quarry...but I could get used to the idea if Costco and Market Basket are part of the plan!

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/17/plan-for-large-shopping-center-in-westbrook-shrinks-slightly/

ynkeesfn82

That's the quarry in the picture? It looks like a huge crater that will swallow the parking lot and buildings in 15 or 20 years.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on September 18, 2015, 06:35:54 AM
That's the quarry in the picture? It looks like a huge crater that will swallow the parking lot and buildings in 15 or 20 years.

I have a feeling that the overlay of the proposed project is a bit off.

retailisking

I'm now hearing that Market Basket and Costco have pulled out of the project but Walmart plans to build a Supercenter there. Stay tuned...

Hudsons81

Quote from: retailisking on November 18, 2015, 09:32:55 PM
I'm now hearing that Market Basket and Costco have pulled out of the project but Walmart plans to build a Supercenter there. Stay tuned...

I'd somewhat expected this to happen when those stores are involved in the same project...

TheFugitive

Are they planning to fill in the quarry?

I used to work in the now-shuttered Parkway Center Mall here in Pittsburgh.
It was built on fill.  It had serious problems with shaking and subsidence during
all the years it was open.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on November 18, 2015, 09:32:55 PM

Really?

That's too bad.  Costco was clearly the larger building on the left.

Market Basket would have been a hit in that area!

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 08, 2016, 06:47:50 AM
Costco was clearly the larger building on the left.

I'm still not ruling out Costco, but I'm quite certain that Market Basket is out.

retailisking

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 19, 2015, 03:29:05 PM
Are they planning to fill in the quarry?

The plans call for filling the quarry with water.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on April 11, 2016, 02:33:40 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on April 08, 2016, 06:47:50 AM
Costco was clearly the larger building on the left.

I'm still not ruling out Costco, but I'm quite certain that Market Basket is out.

Yeah, with Walmart being the large anchor store in front of the hole, Market Basket won't be interested...  probably the same for the Lewiston retail project..  too bad.

Many Maine cities could have a Market Basket and have the space for it.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 11, 2016, 04:58:33 PM
Yeah, with Walmart being the large anchor store in front of the hole, Market Basket won't be interested...  probably the same for the Lewiston retail project..  too bad.

Many Maine cities could have a Market Basket and have the space for it.

I still wouldn't rule out Market Basket for Lewiston; as a former mill town, it's right in their wheelhouse. That thinking went into their decision to come to Biddeford. I would prefer that MB buy the Promenade and demolish it to make way for a new MB.

Zayre88

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on December 18, 2016, 09:20:58 AM
will Costco be one?

With Walmart as a key tenant, Costco is probably out (if it was ever in.)

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on December 18, 2016, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on December 18, 2016, 09:20:58 AM
will Costco be one?

With Walmart as a key tenant, Costco is probably out (if it was ever in.)

I've seen a couple of site plans here and there and one of them no longer had the large Costco-shaped building and instead featured a block of smaller stores...    It's unclear to me which one is the official site plan.

retailisking

This marks the return of the Massachusetts-based restaurant chain to the Greater Portland area after a lengthy absence

http://news.keepmecurrent.com/dirigo-plaza-to-be-built-in-three-phases/

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on January 05, 2017, 06:23:30 PM
This marks the return of the Massachusetts-based restaurant chain to the Greater Portland area after a lengthy absence
http://news.keepmecurrent.com/dirigo-plaza-to-be-built-in-three-phases/

Good news!  I like the 99 Restaurants

Zayre88

Center to be built in 2 phases instead of 3 and now has Waterstone Retail as a partner to develop the project, and to do all the marketing and promotion surrounding the project.

http://news.keepmecurrent.com/dirigo-plaza-gets-ok-to-move-up-construction-plans/

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 01, 2017, 09:27:23 AM
Center to be built in 2 phases instead of 3 and now has Waterstone Retail as a partner to develop the project, and to do all the marketing and promotion surrounding the project.

http://news.keepmecurrent.com/dirigo-plaza-gets-ok-to-move-up-construction-plans/

when does Walmart open.

retailisking

Note that Waterstone has adopted its "Ridge" brand (which it is already using in Rochester, NH) for the Westbrook project. The "Dirigo Plaza" moniker is history. The Waterstone page for the project has no site plan, which suggests to me that the Costco-sized big box might be in doubt. I can't think of a tenant that size that would share space in the same plaza as a Walmart Supercenter. I think the Falmouth Walmart will close once this Supercenter opens.

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 01, 2017, 10:15:24 AM
when does Walmart open.
The original opening was planned for February 2019, but Waterstone's involvement might move that date up a bit.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 01, 2017, 03:05:53 PM
Note that Waterstone has adopted its "Ridge" brand (which it is already using in Rochester, NH) for the Westbrook project. The "Dirigo Plaza" moniker is history. The Waterstone page for the project has no site plan, which suggests to me that the Costco-sized big box might be in doubt. I can't think of a tenant that size that would share space in the same plaza as a Walmart Supercenter. I think the Falmouth Walmart will close once this Supercenter opens.

nope the Falmouth one is still far enough away I feel.

Zayre88

I'm confused with these site plans. Some were clearly showing a Costco-shaped building, one pictured it with gas pumps, one without pumps, and another one is showing a completely different set of buildings for much smaller stores.

As for Walmart, I'm pretty sure they will keep both stores even though the Falmouth one is smaller(a former Kmart).

Loopnet page that has a site plan shown with smaller buildings and multiple suggested tenants (at bottom of page): http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=wre&LID=19034477

BillyGr

The Waterstone page for the project has no site plan, which suggests to me that the Costco-sized big box might be in doubt. I can't think of a tenant that size that would share space in the same plaza as a Walmart Supercenter.

Umm - doesn't Walmart have another chain in the company that has stores very similar to Costco?  It wouldn't be the first time both have been in the same plaza...

Zayre88

Quote from: BillyGr on April 02, 2017, 02:45:42 PM
The Waterstone page for the project has no site plan, which suggests to me that the Costco-sized big box might be in doubt. I can't think of a tenant that size that would share space in the same plaza as a Walmart Supercenter.

Umm - doesn't Walmart have another chain in the company that has stores very similar to Costco?  It wouldn't be the first time both have been in the same plaza...

Indeed, however the building shape is the same as many other Costco.  Not many Sam's Club have that 45 degree corner usually.  Sam's Club already has a store 5 miles south of that site in Scarborough.  Costco had apparently looked for a site in the Portland area years ago but decided to pass and today that site became home to Cabela's.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 02, 2017, 06:09:02 AM
I'm confused with these site plans. Some were clearly showing a Costco-shaped building, one pictured it with gas pumps, one without pumps, and another one is showing a completely different set of buildings for much smaller stores.

As for Walmart, I'm pretty sure they will keep both stores even though the Falmouth one is smaller(a former Kmart).

Loopnet page that has a site plan shown with smaller buildings and multiple suggested tenants (at bottom of page): http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=wre&LID=19034477

The WRE site plan is the most current one. The Ruby Tuesday across the street in Westbrook Crossing, which is already hanging on by a thread, is in for a world of hurt with all that new restaurant competition. Note that the existing ancient Denny's will relocate to The Ridge; the Hampton Inn next door is absolutely going to happen, and demolition of the Travelodge (ex-Susse Chalet) commences later this spring. Not sure about the theater, though; the market is seriously overscreened to begin with, though if Cinemagic closes its underperforming Clarks Pond Grand location behind the Maine Mall it might have a chance. Not sure who the operator would be; AMC or Regal might want back in, or maybe Flagship might continue its expansion, though I'm not sure how well-capitalized they are. Other left-field possibilities are Cinemark or O'Neil, both of which have cinemas in New England.

My thinking about the Falmouth Walmart is that they abandoned plans to expand it a few years ago, and they haven't kept up with renovations, so they don't see the store as a priority. A Market Basket would be ideal to take over the space, as Falmouth is a bedroom community that rolls up the sidewalks by 9PM, which is when MB stores close. Also, the Falmouth Shaw's is one of the chain's best-performing stores, so there's a customer base ripe for the picking.

Zayre88

New rendering posted on Waterstone's website:

The original size picture reveals Walmart, Hobby Lobby and a Pier1 Imports. The site looks different from any site plans posted earlier.

http://www.waterstoneretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Master-Plan-facing-exit-48-e1499291084499.png