Perkins

Started by Hudsons81, September 15, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

Another place without a thread until now. Discuss.

They took over the former Howard Johnson's restaurant at Dix-Toledo and Eureka in Southgate, Michigan for a short time in the 1970's. That building has long been demolished today.

I don't think Perkins has any Metro Detroit locations left, but I did, just a few minutes ago, watch a commercial for them during a commercial break on WEWS-TV Cleveland (which I am currently watching from here in Metro Detroit).

TheFugitive

Was introduced to them when working for Ames and they sent me to Jacksonville, Florida for six weeks
as part of the Zayre acquisition.

They had booked me into a horrible, scary, rundown motel (Red Carpet Inn) but I was working long hours so had little time to do anything but sleep there.  There was a Perkins out front, virtually at their doorstep.  It was 24 hrs. so I ate most of my meals there because I was generally getting up early or getting back late.

At least it was clean, unlike the motel.   I enjoyed all of the waffle syrup options they offered
other than maple.  Right now I think their closest store to me is Cranberry Township and I rarely
have a reason to drive out that way.

BillyGr

We had one in Albany on Central Avenue for a short time - it's been several things since, most recently a diner (which closed the end of last year due to ownership issues with the property and is soon to reopen further down the street in the city).  Currently vacant and has a sale sign out front.

I believe there was an even older version somewhere else (perhaps on Wolf Road) but that goes too far back to know for sure, I just remember seeing it mentioned on a local group.

Pikapower

I think years ago, Denny's bought some of the upstate New York Perkins restaurants.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Perkins bought out Marc's Big Boy in Milwaukee and Madison, which had locations throughout Wisconsin. Other Marc's Big Boy locations were bought out by Annie's American Café, including locations in Green Bay, Appleton, and Wausau, since those areas already have Perkins locations.

Marc is the short name for Marcus Corporation, current owner of Marcus Cinema movie theater chain, and former owner of Marcus Cable, which was later sold to Charter Communications.

TheFugitive

I think Big Boy at this point is down to just the original Bob's Big Boy on the West Coast,
Elias Bros. Big Boy in Metro Detroit, and Frisch's Big Boy in OH-IN-KY.

Elby's Big Boy here in the PA-WV market closed up shop about a decade ago.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 28, 2015, 08:30:53 AM
I think Big Boy at this point is down to just the original Bob's Big Boy on the West Coast,

And of course Shoney's still operate in the south, just minus the Big Boy name.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on September 28, 2015, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on September 28, 2015, 08:30:53 AM

And of course Shoney's still operate in the south, just minus the Big Boy name.

For that matter Eat n' Park, which held the Big Boy franchise in Pittsburgh for many years,
continues to operate sans-Big Boy today.

retailisking

The current owner is looking to sell off the Perkins and Marie Callender's businesses separately; they've already got a stalking horse bidder for Perkins
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/08/05/perkins-marie-callenders-bankruptcy-restaurant-closings/1926980001/