Difference between TJMaxx and Marshalls?

Started by mixedday, July 12, 2015, 09:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

As these two are co-owned, what exactly is the difference between a Marshall's and TJMaxx? Do Marshall's stores have more clothing for women? Is TJMaxx slightly more upscale between the two?

wikipedia just lists this of TJMaxx: " by having a more upscale appearance and typically features an expanded assortment of both fine jewelry and accessories." Is that accurate?

TRU7536

Quote from: mixedday on July 12, 2015, 09:55:29 PM
As these two are co-owned, what exactly is the difference between a Marshall's and TJMaxx? Do Marshall's stores have more clothing for women? Is TJMaxx slightly more upscale between the two?

wikipedia just lists this of TJMaxx: " by having a more upscale appearance and typically features an expanded assortment of both fine jewelry and accessories." Is that accurate?

Honesty I and many others I know live Marhalls better than tj maxx.  Marshall's has better stuff I think with better name brands.

store215

I have found that TJMaxx seems to have very few Men's clothes compared to Marshall's, but otherwise they appear to be pretty much the same.

ynkeesfn82

Marshall's sell footwear for the entire family while TJMAXX just sells footwear for woman.

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on July 12, 2015, 09:55:29 PM

Marshalls was started in 1956 by Alfred Marshall.  T. J. Maxx was started in 1976 by Zayre Discount Department Stores.  Marshalls was acquired by TJX Companies (renamed in 1988 from Zayre Corporation).  Marshalls is more of a family apparel and home fashion retailer.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Chuck E. Cheese

TJMaxx, HomeGoods, Marshalls and a few other companies are owned by TJX Corporations. I never really go to either so I can't really say if they are distinctly different. TJX was originally by Zayre.

TheFugitive

Quote from: MikeRa on July 14, 2015, 05:42:04 PM

Marshalls was started in 1956 by Alfred Marshall.  T. J. Maxx was started in 1976 by Zayre Discount Department Stores.  Marshalls was acquired by TJX Companies (renamed in 1988 from Zayre Corporation).  Marshalls is more of a family apparel and home fashion retailer.

And TJX is around because those of us who were with Ames Dept. Stores in 1988 took the
crappy faltering Zayre stores off their hands and allowed the good part of the company to prosper.

You're welcome.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on July 15, 2015, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on July 14, 2015, 05:42:04 PM

And TJX is around because those of us who were with Ames Dept. Stores in 1988 took the
crappy faltering Zayre stores off their hands and allowed the good part of the company to prosper.

You're welcome.

But had they not sold them would they have perhaps converted some of them into more TJ Maxx stores? Or other brands they had at that time?

Bdubs

TJ Maxx has a lot more merchandise. Not just clothing and footwear like Marshalls. HomeGoods,TJ Maxx, and Marshall's all have that similar feel inside the stores. Their overall floor layout has similar quirks.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on July 16, 2015, 11:55:32 AM

But had they not sold them would they have perhaps converted some of them into more TJ Maxx stores? Or other brands they had at that time?

The entire company would have gone bankrupt and they would have all disappeared by 1991.
Either that or they would have found some other sucker to buy them out.   Zayre stores were
much larger than TJ Maxx stores.  Conversions would have left a lot of unused space.

Zayre88

A Zayre store in Bangor Maine became a Tjmaxx'n More, then re-branded as Tjmaxx/HomeGoods.

The store used the entire former Zayre.

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on July 19, 2015, 06:04:03 AM
A Zayre store in Bangor Maine became a Tjmaxx'n More, then re-branded as Tjmaxx/HomeGoods.

The store used the entire former Zayre.

That would make sense, since it's really like having two stores in one.  The same as many former Ames/Zayre etc. being divided into two spaces.

Chuck E. Cheese

Funnily the (now vacant) Ames in East Hartford is Located next to a TJ-Maxx. Maybe half was Zayre..

JimSawhill

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 15, 2015, 05:59:39 AM
TJMaxx, HomeGoods, Marshalls and a few other companies are owned by TJX Corporations. I never really go to either so I can't really say if they are distinctly different. TJX was originally by Zayre.

Zayre's had a few non-department stores....anyone remember beaconway fabrics and spree! toys?

JimSawhill

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 19, 2015, 03:58:06 PM
Funnily the (now vacant) Ames in East Hartford is Located next to a TJ-Maxx. Maybe half was Zayre..

The Ames was a Zayre...both were the most profitable store in the chain. I believe the TJMaxx is in the old Spree toy's store...