AMESFANCLUB
January 21, 2018, 04:18:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Border's  (Read 26929 times)
MikeRa
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »

Yesterday was Borders last day.  They are now offically closed.

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »

The one in Waterford, Connecticut is apparently the only one in Connecticut that got sold to Books-a-Million.  Cry

An Article on the last day of The Meriden Square Mall Store, which was last Thursday 9/15/11.:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_1bb9cdb4-dffa-11e0-8b70-001cc4c03286.html

According to the article the store was 22,000 Sq. Feet (small for a Borders).

My thoughts: If Old Navy wasn't in such a hurry to move their store into the mall, they could've waited a few months and took over the Border's rather than having the mall relocate 6-8 tenants for their store. They did the same thing when Steve & Barry's opened a few years ago. (It's now a shoe store called Encore Shoe Dept).
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »

Kind of an interesting "twist" on the usual scenario (the big stores forcing the small stores out):

One small locally owned bookstore in Vermont that was badly damamged by flooding during the hurricane was able to obtain some new shelving and fixtures - from one of the closing Borders locations!
CTAmeshopper
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

It's official the West Hartford Borders is closed.

My parents and I went down to see if it was still open, it was closed and completely empty.

This sucks.  Cry
TRJ_22487

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »

Bridgewater, NJ

East Brunswick, NJ

Wayne, NJ

West Windsor, NJ

Sayville, NY
Ameskid
Ames 4 Lyfer!

Hi!

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

Eastgate (suburb of Cincinnati), Ohio

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »

That there is a nice looking building.
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

The former Borders in Simsbury, CT at the Simsbury Commons is becoming a Home Goods.

http://simsbury.patch.com/articles/homegoods-to-occupy-former-borders-location
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »

The former one in Simsbury, CT is now Home Goods opening March 3, 2013. The one at the Meriden Square Mall remains vacant. It was supposed to be a Christmas Tree Shop, but that fell through, tough they had a Christmas Tree Shop Express there this year. The one near Westfarms Mall is now LA Fitness.
TRU7536

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »

The former one in Simsbury, CT is now Home Goods opening March 3, 2013. The one at the Meriden Square Mall remains vacant. It was supposed to be a Christmas Tree Shop, but that fell through, tough they had a Christmas Tree Shop Express there this year. The one near Westfarms Mall is now LA Fitness.

The one near West Farms is becoming La Fitness.. Didn't know that
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/MarketingBrochure/webapps/webprints/Flyer_SCTF0548.pdf
TRU7536

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »

I went to the sports authority last week and they are working on the former borders building. That plaza seems to be coming a Long way for what it use to be. It's just built weird and to much parking, I think they can build another restaurant of they wanted.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

I went to the sports authority last week and they are working on the former borders building. That plaza seems to be coming a Long way for what it use to be. It's just built weird and to much parking, I think they can build another restaurant of they wanted.

Wow!! When I looked at the Kimco realty site, it was the old plaza where Office Max was located. The site where Nordstrom Rack and Petco was the old Waldbaum's!! I see that Michael's (Where the old Office Max was) is closing.
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/22/business/borders-gift-card-holders-deserve-nothing-judge-rules/
TRU7536

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »

Wow!! When I looked at the Kimco realty site, it was the old plaza where Office Max was located. The site where Nordstrom Rack and Petco was the old Waldbaum's!! I see that Michael's (Where the old Office Max was) is closing.

Michaels is closing? Not surprised, that building is so out of place.
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »

Michaels is closing? Not surprised, that building is so out of place.

It's still open.
jason83080

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »

Westlake, OH, location has now officially become "Nordstrom Rack." They gutted the building and redid the front entrance area to accommodate the new company.

http://avon-oh.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/nordstrom-racks-grand-opening-is-sept-12

Oh, Borders, how I miss you and your CONVENIENT ACCESS. Barnes & Noble is located in the 'little town' of Crocker Park next door, and I don't like having to park in a garage and walk half a mile to get to B&N. The only other book/music superstore around here is Books-A-Million, but that's out in Sandusky, and that's an hour away. :(
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

The Borders in the Maine Mall parking lot became Books-A-Million; it was one of the most expensive leases of the Borders chain. Even when it was Borders it was pretty busy.
Hudsons81
Ames 4 Lyfer!

Howdy!

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »

The Borders at Southland Center in Taylor, MI, during that location's liquidation sale. It is presently a Forever 21.

BTW, I live about 35 miles east of where Borders was headquartered in it's 40 years in business.
Hudsons81
Ames 4 Lyfer!

Howdy!

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »

The old Borders Express (started out as Waldenbooks, later Ukazoo Books) in Southgate, Michigan is now one of these temporary Halloween stores that take over parts of defunct store locations around this time every year-this one actually has the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man at one of the entrances!

ynkeesfn82
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:11 AM »

I really should split this into another topic, but since your post is on topic I won't.

Halloween City is a sister store to the Party City chain. It's main competitor is Spirit Halloween, which is owned by Spencer's.

There are less Spirit locations around this year than in year's past. In Connecticut a few years ago there were locations in Southington, Plainville, and Bristol. This year none of these towns have stores, although in defense to Southington and Plainville there is no available space for them.

In Southington they were in the former 7,500 Square Foot Fashion Bug location, which along with an adjacent former vacant store front is now a Guitar Center.

In Plainville they had a super-sized location, taking around 9,000 Square Feet of the 35,000 Square Foot Linen's N Things. Today that store is divided into 4 stores - Dollar Tree, Charming Charlie's, Men's Warehouse, and Five Below along with a 2,400 Square Foot vacant spot.

In Bristol they had a smaller location in the former Blockbuster Video. That space was divided into Jake's Wayback Burger and vacant space. There are 2 vacant spots where they could have opened a location in Bristol.  There's a former Joanne's in the plaza where Big Lots is and Hobby Lobby is opening. That's 10,000 Square Feet. There's also a 23,000 Square Foot former Marshall's in that same plaza, although 7 or 8 years after they moved to a large location in Plainville some of their fixtures remain. Two other vacant spots are big enough, but are unacceptable. The former KB Toys is just over 12,000 Sqaure Foot, but they completely gutted that store, so there are no floors, ceilings, or walls and next to that is the former Fashion Bug at around 10,000 Square Feet. That location couldn't work because Rainbow was still operating a store there until around July or August. That's long past the deadline for Spirit to sign a lease.

There was another Halloween chain, but I don't remember the name.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »

The Borders near me is now a Pier One Imports.

Pier One relocated from another building which now houses a Trader Joe's.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »

There was a Pier One in the Manchester, CT plaza. It is now vacant, here is video I shot, just today of the plaza.

Part One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtmKgpvZSXg&feature=youtu.be
Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqcvMYmU1p4

What happened to that plaza? I worked in that Office Depot in the 90s.
TRU7536

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »

There was a Pier One in the Manchester, CT plaza. It is now vacant, here is video I shot, just today of the plaza.

Part One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtmKgpvZSXg&feature=youtu.be
Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqcvMYmU1p4

What happened to that plaza? I worked in that Office Depot in the 90s.

The former borders became a gym
Patrick Boots CEC

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »

I'm going to have to check what the Borders at Meriden Square became..hm..
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »

I'm going to have to check what the Borders at Meriden Square became..hm..

TJ MAXX.
Patrick Boots CEC

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »

OOh Now that is interesting..I'll have to post a photo comparison someday.
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

Interesting look at the last-ditch attempt to save Borders
http://www.retaildive.com/news/borders-bankruptcy-mike-edwards-ceo/428173/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: