Main Menu

Border's

Started by Caldor1999, June 01, 2005, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

It would be nice if Borders opened in the former Bernies in Southington. It would have to be a smaller Borders as Bernies is only 20,000 Sq. Feet.

I like Borders better than B&N. B&N seems to be more expensive.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
borders king of prussia mall in pa

Where is the Borders in relation to the Thomasville and The Cheesecake Factory?

Marc82

The Border's is in the mall on The Second Floor of "The Court" section of the mall in "The Pavilion Section I" From the mall map it looks like it's near Urban Outfitters. The mall also has a Border's Express in the section called "The Plaza" http://kingofprussiamall.com/upload/287.pdf

ynkeesfn82

Border's Book & Music is struggling and has shut down a couple dozen stores in the greater Washington DC Area. They also have stopped paying publishers.

AMAZON, The Kindle, and The Nook are all part of the reason the chain is struggling.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/20/AR2011012006347.html?sid=ST2011012006666

bankruptcyrecords1091

Eventhough the kindle is the reason, I really like to go to borders just to feel the paper in my hands and have a cup of coffee.  sad :(

ynkeesfn82

Update: Borders is expected to file for bankruptcy this Monday or Tuesday and shutter 200 of its 647 stores. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/12/borders-bankruptcy-detail_n_822128.html

This really sucks. I like Borders much better than Barnes & Noble. *sigh* So much for hope of them opening a location in the former Southington Bernie's.

dmx10101

They filed for Chapter 11 today and plan on closing 30% of their stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

jmcnamara96

Yea the Nashua NH store is closing

retailisking

The Peabody location was my introduction to the joys of book and music superstores, so it'll be sad to see them close.  I find it hard to believe that they will successfully emerge, especially with retail executioners GE Capital putting up the DIP financing.

NJxxJon

From..........the site

For generations, Borders stores have been beacons of enlightenment and education, where readers young and old explore their passions and find those special books that speak to them personally. As Borders moves forward, our commitment to you is to be a best-in-class bookseller-whether it's our stores or Borders.com-where you can purchase books and related products that stimulate and satisfy your reading interests.

However, because of the ongoing impact of the difficult U.S. economy, coupled with the rapidly changing bookselling environment, we must restructure Borders and reposition our business for long-term success. We determined that the best path for Borders to have the ability to achieve this reorganization is through the Chapter 11 process, which we commenced February 16.

Borders will continue to maintain its strong national presence. Our nationwide network of stores is foundational to the Borders brand. Over the next several weeks however, Borders will be closing underperforming stores within our network.

Click here for a list of closing stores.

Should your local store be affected, please use the Store Locator above to find another Borders store near you, or purchase from our vast selection of books and other merchandise here on Borders.com.
JN

TRU7536

Its funny how when companies close store, Manchester CT is always on these lists. Goes to show you going crazy with Sprawl, these type of areas are always the first to go. Manchester lost places like Kmart, Hops, Unos, 99 to name a few. One area you rarely see (unless the whole company goes belly up), is around West Farms. Boarders will stay open, both the location inside West Farms and down the street. The Disney Store only location left in CT is West Farms.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 16, 2011, 08:12:24 PM
Its funny how when companies close store, Manchester CT is always on these lists. Goes to show you going crazy with Sprawl, these type of areas are always the first to go. Manchester lost places like Kmart, Hops, Unos, 99 to name a few. One area you rarely see (unless the whole company goes belly up), is around West Farms. Boarders will stay open, both the location inside West Farms and down the street. The Disney Store only location left in CT is West Farms.

Two words: West Hartford (need I say more)

It seems like that's all people do in that town is shop. From the book stores to the grocery stores, they are never dead.

retailisking

ynkeesfn82

Phew.  The one I like going to in Meriden  is still not on the list.  :)

dmx10101

I went to the Borders location near me that's closing on Monday, here's some pics of it-

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

MikeRa

These are the Borders in the Philadelphia area are closing.

• King of Prussia, PA: The Pavilion at King of Prussia 650 Mall Blvd.
  • Langhome, PA: Marketplace at Oxford Valley 2343 E. Lincoln Highway
  • Philadelphia, PA: (closing by late May 2011) 1 South Broad, Suite 100

These are the Borders that are staying open in the Philadelphia area (within 25 miles of Bensalem, PA):

• Langhorne, PA: 263 Oxford Vally Mall (Borders Express)
  • Mt. Laurel, NJ: 4010 Dearborn Circle
  • Warrington, PA: 1565 Main Street
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA: 500 W Germantown Pike, Space 1090 (Borders Express)
  • North Wales, PA: 1 Airport Plaza
  • Wynnewood, PA: 80 East Wynnewood Road
  • Bryn Mawr, PA: Rosemont Shopping Center
  • Philadelphia Int'l Airport: 8500 Essington Ave. Sp. #DE 10 (Borders Airport)
  • Philadelphia Int'l Airport: 8500 Essington Ave. Terminal B/C
    (Borders Airport)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

retailisking

CTAmeshopper

The Southbury Borders is now closed, I haven't checked the Avon CT one at the site of the former Farmington Valley Mall. It's probably gone by now. I also haven't checked the one near Danbury either. 

dmx10101

Borders faced with closing 51 more stores
June 10, 2011 | By Katherine Field Boccaccio
Related Content

Blockbuster gets approval for 'First Day Motions'
    A cross channel action plan
    Survey: Amazon tops with consumers
    Office Depot seeks CEO after SEC settlement
    We make a difference

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Borders Group said that it is faced with closing dozens of its best-performing stores due to a requirement of its bankruptcy financing if their landlords don't agree to extend a lease-negotiation period.

Borders, which filed for bankruptcy protection in February, has extension agreements for 365 stores. But the book seller said in a court filing Thursday that it is still negotiating extensions for 51 stores, many of which are among its top-selling stores, including one near Penn Station in New York.

The impacted stores are in 23 states and include 10 at airports across the country.

The company's special bankruptcy financing requires it to start closing the stores where it has not obtained extensions by June 22. But Borders said it has asked its lenders to waive that requirement until a hearing about the sale of the company on July 21. The lenders are considering the request, Borders said.

Borders said it is in discussions with several buyers who have indicated they would be interested in buying some of the stores the company might have to close. Liquidating the stores "may not maximize their value for the benefit of creditors and will result in a significant loss of jobs," Borders said in the filing.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

retailisking

It's over - Borders to liquidate, close all remaining stores
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/borders-calls-off-auction-plans-to-liquidate/?hp

Some interesting local flavor from Ann Arbor, MI where Borders originated and is still headquartered; lots of stories are linked from this one:
http://annarbor.com/business-review/borders-liquidation-chapter-11-ann-arbor-bookstore-chain-borders-group-e-books/

McNuggetMan

So sad. I guess its 2009 all over again, since I remember when this happened with Circuit City and L&T.  :'(

MikeRa

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

Yeah, kinda looks that way, although by 2006 you could tell how things were going to turn out.  Books-A-Million is bidding on 30 locations across the country, including their first locations in New England.  I've never set foot in a BAM, but word has it they're not quite up to Borders standards in the customer service department...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/thirty-borders-locations-could-stay-open-under-a-books-a-million-bid/2011/07/22/gIQAza6UTI_story.html

Edit 7-26-11: BAM has withdrawn its bid saying they could not come to terms.  Apparently the sticking point was that BAM wanted to take over the inventory of the stores, which would have been impossible as the liquidators now own the inventory.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2011/0726/Borders-to-Books-A-Million-deal-falls-through

Edit 7-26-11: Bull Moose, a Maine-based chain that does business in two New England states, is considering bids on a handful of New England Borders locations.  They've had some success selling books at two of its stores at a 35% discount off the cover price.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/26/business/bull-moose-plans-to-bid-on-‘handful’-of-borders-locations

beachgal26

Unfortunately, the only remaining Memphis store began their GOB sale yesterday.  Just as always, there were long lines of customers.  There was one last-ditch attempt for them to be picked up by Books-a-million, but it did not pan out since they're only picking up about a dozen stores across the countr.

Am I crazy that I still want to walk around leisurely in a book store and not just buy books online or stare at a Kindle?  (No offense to anyone who loves them, but I like the feel of holding a book in my hands!)

There goes another well-loved chain and thousands more who will be looking for jobs..... :'( :'( :'(   

Zayre88

Quote from: McNuggetMan on July 19, 2011, 11:19:22 PM
So sad. I guess its 2009 all over again, since I remember when this happened with Circuit City and L&T.  :'(

Borders will certainly be coming back as an online-store only like CC and LNT.  Funny how these chains exist for years, build up a name, go bankrupt, then name is re-used for an online store.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on July 24, 2011, 04:23:38 PM
Borders will certainly be coming back as an online-store only like CC and LNT.  Funny how these chains exist for years, build up a name, go bankrupt, then name is re-used for an online store.

The online stores don't have the leverage of the old bricks-and-mortar retailer.  Still, I wonder how much success these online-only iterations have.  Without the top-of-mind awareness generated by the bricks-and-mortar stores I have to assume that the equity of these venerable old brand names tend to fade over time.

CTAmeshopper

So when are they planning their final sales?

It sad to see such a wonderful chain go out of business.

sad :'(

retailisking

As Borders going-out-of-business sales grind to a halt, all remaining merchandise is reduced to $1
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011109150474