Main Menu

Miscellaneous radio stuff

Started by ynkeesfn82, May 14, 2015, 01:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Sometimes it's blatantly obvious when the DJ on a certain radio station is pre-recorded or Voice-tracked which is the industry term. This week Renee the 10AM-3PM DJ on The River 105.9 in Hartford, CT is in LA covering American Idol for the station so they have Adam Rivers from their TOP 40 sister station in New Haven filling in. It's obvious he's voice-tracked on The River. I had on KC-101.3 today because they were playing a song I like. Then their female DJ tossed it to Adam Rivers live at the Grand Opening of the brand new Sunoco Gas Station in Windsor. Then I switched over to The River and heard him announcing what song he had just played.

Then there is this little gem. This program schedule on The River's website shows Renee as being on Saturdays 7AM-1PM and 1PM-PM. DJs don't do 12 hour shifts, so again it's obvious that she is voice tracked.

http://www.theriver1059.com/onair/saturday/

TheFugitive

"Voice Tracking" to the uninitiated is software which allows one announcer sitting in some distant city
to do local morning shows for 8 or 10 different stations by just sitting down at a mike, laying out his
tracks one after another, and then having the computer splice them together and insert them in between
the music at the appropriate times, giving the illusion that the show is being done live in a local studio.

Generally you can spot this by the horrific mispronunciations of local towns and landmarks. 
Around here Monongahela River usually trips them up.  As does North Versailles (pronounced
ver-SAILS), DuBois (DOO-boys), and Monroeville (mon-ROE-ville, not MON-roe-ville)