Publix Supermarket

Started by truviking05, May 30, 2005, 12:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truviking05

Publix is a regional supermarket chain thorughout Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee. There are actually 5 of the stores in my small city alone--2 are located on the same stretch of road, only 2 miles apart! It's even been named as one of "Forbes' Top 10 Best Companies in America to Work For." Some have called it the "country club" of grocery stores. All stores are nice and clean, and service is great. My grandpa has actually worked at Publix for 12 years now, and my grandma did for 7! Has anyone else been to a Publix store?

store215

I went to a few in Florida when visiting grandparents. Nice, clean stores and they even still had bagboys! That really suprised me. This was a "tiny" store compared to all the monster supermakets in the North, but they still managed to fit everything in the store and ti wasn't crowded or anything.

Then, we went to the WalMart Supercenter for food and that was a whole different story:exorcist:

truviking05

Yeah, my grandpa is one of those bagboys...lol! :P

amesman

I've heard about Publix from my grandmother, who lives in Talahassee, and Rich Kummerlowe, who also lives in Florida. They sell Howard Johnson's Toastees there, and possibly HoJo Ice Cream as well(I hope).

truviking05

Hey, next time I go to Publix I'll try to find out for you :)

amesman

thanks man. Take pictures for us too..heh

will

We have a Publix here. The bagboys will take the bags out to your car, so my mom shops there alot. It used to look kind of old and dirty but they finally remodled it. Also they moved the bakery into a space next door that Eckerd used to occupy before Eckerd built a new store.

truviking05

That's cool. A very old, like 1960s Publix is still open and completely unremodeled in my town. There used to be an Eckerd's next door, but they moved down the street and now West Marine occupies the space.

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Publix new logo?

Publix was founded in 1930. Just celebrated 75 years. And no, this a very old logo! Not all stores have their own gas station, In fact, very few do. There are about 30 stores within a 50 mile radius of me and not one has a gas station.

dooneyt63

Publix is a very interesting chain Florida is proud to share with the other states now.  The original stores in Florida remain distinctive.  Several restored or unremodeled stores remain in operation, and the newer stores often mimic the architecture of the area or shopping plaza they are in rather than having the distinctive deco designs of years past.  Sign ordinances adopted by many Florida cities spelled the end for the nearly all-neon sign facade of many mid-century Publix stores.

JimSawhill

odd looking Publix supermarket (possibly actual supermarket is seen outside of pic)

That looks like the PUBLIX in WINTHOP SQUARE in the BloomingDale section of Hillsborough County of Florida. Publix has stores in the middle of NOWHERE, because  they are planning when people do move.

JimSawhill

Was Publix founded around the 1960s?

it seems so from their logo

I like their logo by the way

simple but modern, modern but interesting,interesting but not overboard

simple yet unique and clearly sticks out.

This year, Publix celebrated 75 years!!  It was founded by George Jenkins  in Winter Haven.

Kmart4life

Publix, their motto is (Where shopping is a pleasure). They are a very nice and clean Supermarket chain in the southeast with home offices and DC based here in Lakeland Florida. I like them but there prices are through the roof, but on a scale of 1 to 10 they deserve a 10 or better. They have really nice people to help you in every way. And they have some of the most experienced meat cutters in the business. Tell me what you think.

C. Fontaine

My father lives in Hollywood, FL.  I remember going to Publix and Winn-Dixie all the time!

Kmart4life

I read in our local paper yesterday that Publix will be trying a curbside Deli service much like some resturants. They have a really good deli, the best in town.

beachgal26

Wow!  I miss Publix so much.  We had never heard of them until we moved to FL in 1985 and they quickly became our favorite food store.  Every store was super clean and all the employees were friendly and each store had the same layout which was a big help when you were shopping at another store.  

Does anyone remember that they showed the exterior of one in "Cocoon" and their trademark green bench outside of the store??

Joeg

Publix is a very well run family chain, however their prices have become to high over the last several years.  We have Big Y in the northeast, and they are trying to mold themselves into the Publix image.  But Big Y has lost alot of business in the last year(dropping double coupons has not help) and their image is of a highprice/high image store.  In these bad economic times, thats not the image that customers want to see.

Kmart4life

Publix announced last Friday that they would be dramatically lowering prices on everything. I read in the paper that a spokesman for the chain said that with the economy and gas prices people should not have to pay high prices for groceries.
Last month a gallon of milk at Publix was $4.29 now with lower prices that same gallon of milk is now $3.79."Where Shopping Is A Pleasure"  again.:yup::cool::goodidea:

Joeg

I saw one of there ads on line, but like the first poster said, there prices are still to expensive but the service is still top of the line.  I think they want to end up expanding up the east coast (to Virginia at least).

Kmart4life

You know their pharmacy gives you prescription antibiotics for free. Some of them atleast. I found this out when I went to the doctor this week. Wal-Fart makes you pay $4.00 stinking dollars for the same ones.

captjack

Lol, I haven't seen the S and H green stamps logo in decades! jack:P

retailisking

Publix could go public; that would mark the beginning of the end for this unique retail enterprise:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/could-publix-super-markets-go-public/1157770

Edit: The effort to make Publix public (and stuff the BOD with going-public-friendly directors) appears to have fallen flat as of yet - thank goodness...

silvfx66

wouldnt mind seeing publix move up here to the Raleigh area, also hoping Wegmans makes it way down here as well.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: silvfx66 on January 12, 2012, 10:31:29 AM
wouldnt mind seeing publix move up here to the Raleigh area, also hoping Wegmans makes it way down here as well.

Would be great to see who blinks first. Unless Wegmans wants a second outlier cluster in the Triangle, the best move for them would be to expand into Richmond first. That market needs the competition since Ukrops left a hole that hasn't been really filled and Harris Teeter's still reluctant to enter the market.

retailisking

The recent exit of Schnucks (territory sold to Kroger) creates an opening. Publix has a presence in all major TN markets except the Bluff City.
http://www.wmctv.com/story/17004412/grocery-chains-may-be-considering-moving-to-memphis

silvfx66

I am guessing publix will make it to the Raleigh area first, Wegmens is very deliberate on their expansion plans, Richmond would make sense as they move down I-95 though Raleigh is a bigger area.  Publix could do well here in NC, Food Lion is ghastly, Kroger sucks, Harris Teeter is good but pricey. 

JimSawhill

Quote from: silvfx66 on February 29, 2012, 11:55:36 AM
I am guessing publix will make it to the Raleigh area first, Wegmens is very deliberate on their expansion plans, Richmond would make sense as they move down I-95 though Raleigh is a bigger area.  Publix could do well here in NC, Food Lion is ghastly, Kroger sucks, Harris Teeter is good but pricey. 

Harris Teeter will not have anything to worry about if Publix goes into Raleigh. Harris Teeter is cheaper...

retailisking

Publix makes NC entry official, signs Charlotte-area lease

I wouldn't want to be Harris Teeter right now; between Publix from the south and Wegmans from the north they have a lot of territory to defend. Food Lion can't be happy about this development, either.

silvfx66

will be interesting to see what happens between Publix and HT, honestly in the Raleigh Durham area I only go to HT when its convienent or for sale items. HT does have a great shopping experience, the stores are clean and english is spoken by all employees. As a side note Walmart is opening two grocery stores in Cary, one in a former Kroger and one in a former FoodLion, I am guessing Publix will look at Cary since it's median household income is through the roof.

JimSawhill

Quote from: silvfx66 on September 21, 2012, 01:33:08 PM
will be interesting to see what happens between Publix and HT, honestly in the Raleigh Durham area I only go to HT when its convienent or for sale items. HT does have a great shopping experience, the stores are clean and english is spoken by all employees. As a side note Walmart is opening two grocery stores in Cary, one in a former Kroger and one in a former FoodLion, I am guessing Publix will look at Cary since it's median household income is through the roof.

I think HT is going to survive PUBLIX. As good as Publix is, HT is as good. Publix in Florida is more expensive, than Winn-Dixie or Sweetbay.