McDonald's closing 900 Restaurants

Started by ynkeesfn82, April 23, 2015, 07:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

McDonald's will be closing 900 restaurants. This is due to sales continuing to decline. They lost $400 million during the first three months of 2015 alone.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/28881475/mcdonalds-to-close-hundreds-of-restaurants

Hudsons81

I assume most of them will be the extremely-low-traffic ones and the ones that haven't been remodeled in more than 10 years.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Hudsons81 on April 23, 2015, 09:33:10 PM
I assume most of them will be the extremely-low-traffic ones and the ones that haven't been remodeled in more than 10 years.

and ones close to another one.

TheFugitive

Is there a list of which ones will be closing?

I only know of two that ever closed around here.
Banksville Road (because it is a divided highway, and some genius put it
on the outbound side of the road, so they got almost no breakfast traffic), and
Wood Street downtown (too many homeless, junkies, and it became more or
less an open drug market).

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on April 24, 2015, 02:08:35 PM
Is there a list of which ones will be closing?

I only know of two that ever closed around here.
Banksville Road (because it is a divided highway, and some genius put it
on the outbound side of the road, so they got almost no breakfast traffic), and
Wood Street downtown (too many homeless, junkies, and it became more or
less an open drug market).

I know of a few that closed around here.

• Riverview: moved up Fort Street to an outlot of the future site of the former Super Kmart in Southgate in 1990.
  • Ecorse: moved up West Jefferson Avenue to River Rouge in 2012.
  • Ecorse Road in Taylor: moved a few blocks to the west, original location is now a Sunoco station.
  • Southland Center: the entire food court was gutted for a Best Buy store in 2006.
  • Taylor Meijer store: short-lived location that opened sometime before and closed after 1996.
  • Melvindale: moved a few blocks up Oakwood Boulevard in the late 1990's, original location was torn down for a Dollar General in 2011.
  • Fairlane Town Center: was a sit-down location on the second level, closed about 2008.

ynkeesfn82

If any in my area shut down it should be the one at 7 Maple Street in Plainville, Connecticut on the corner of Maple and Route 10. It's 2.6 miles from the McD's on Route 10 in Southington and 1.3 miles from the McD's in the Plainville Commons Plaza on New Britain Ave in Plainville. The one on Maple Street is old and run down.

BillyGr

I believe it was posted somewhere that the ones to close would be company owned (if you can figure out which ones those are, that would give a hint as to what in a given area might close or not).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on April 25, 2015, 10:39:25 AM
I believe it was posted somewhere that the ones to close would be company owned (if you can figure out which ones those are, that would give a hint as to what in a given area might close or not).

Company owned? So that they don't have to give the employees the raise they promised them?

buzz86us

McD is getting stupidly expensive lately.. I remember when for $3 you could have a decent meal at McD now you'll be hungry after eating that little. It used to be like $10 for a large pizza and $3 for a value meal.. now it is $5 for a pizza and $7 for a value meal.. so i can see why they are failing... i have been going to Denny's, a local chain or Burger King instead of McD.. I woulodn't be surprised if it gets to be hard to find McD in NYC with all the competition and markup that they have McD is always the more expensive option. It is a really sad day when $1 can't even get you small fries... let alone a small jr hamburger

TRU7536

Quote from: buzz86us on April 25, 2015, 01:31:05 PM
McD is getting stupidly expensive lately.. I remember when for $3 you could have a decent meal at McD now you'll be hungry after eating that little. It used to be like $10 for a large pizza and $3 for a value meal.. now it is $5 for a pizza and $7 for a value meal.. so i can see why they are failing... i have been going to Denny's, a local chain or Burger King instead of McD.. I woulodn't be surprised if it gets to be hard to find McD in NYC with all the competition and markup that they have McD is always the more expensive option. It is a really sad day when $1 can't even get you small fries... let alone a small jr hamburger

I prefer to spend a couple more bucks and go to 5 guys or chipotle.

HannafordHearts

Yeah, I don't like McDonald's at all, so this doesn't affect me. I take pictures of McDonald's, but I never eat there, and refuse to eat anything from there. The only time I'll eat at McDonald's is for an Egg McMuffin, if I happened to need a quick breakfast.

But if I ever have to eat any fast food, it's Five Guys for me. At least I know they cook their burgers fresh, and the food is perfect every time.

jason83080

If anything, I see this as more of a purge of multiple locations stupidly close to each other (like GameStop was before their purge). I know that, back in the late '90s, there were three McDonald's locations in and around Midway Mall - one inside the mall's Food Court, one attached to a BP across from the mall, and one on the other side of SR57 that was an older free-standing location - and, since then, they've been reduced to one. The Food Court location closed a while ago, the free-standing one was closed and demolished, and the BP/McDonald's one lost the BP and eventually tore down and rebuilt as a new McDonald's, yet kept the sign framing at the street from the old BP/McDonald's days (so, the signs are large and rectangular). North Olmsted used to have three stupidly close to each other - one inside the Wal-Mart that became a Subway after their remodel, one inside the mall that was closed when the Food Court relocated/upscaled their offerings, and a freestanding one down the road that has yet to be renovated to the 2010 look - as well.

Usually, you can find one McDonald's at every exit off of a highway. Some - like the mall locations - wound up having multiple locations within a mile of each other. I think that the 900 stores that are closing are just going to alleviate the multiple location issue.

Ameskid

Quote from: jason83080 on April 28, 2015, 04:20:21 PM
like GameStop was before their purge
That reminds me of GameStop's former locations in Anderson Township outside of Cincinnati...

Not even a quarter-mile away from each other...in completely separate shopping centers. They ended up closing #2, but #1 is still doing just fine.

Even more confusingly, this was not the typical case of an EB Games being converted to a GameStop and then operating in the same territory. Both stores were built and originally operated as GameStop locations.  Quite a head-scratcher, that one...
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/