Kmart bashing

Started by Zayre88, January 05, 2005, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by tntornadox
I think SHC may be realizing Super Kmart is the only way forward for their discount division- they recently launched superkmart.com whereas before there was no distinguishing a regular Kmart from a Supercenter on their website.

I hope so, because I like Super K. It's a nice alternative to Super Walmarts
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Chapter 11 bankruptcy - proof that Kmart's empire "Kameapart"[/b] in 2002. :insane:

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
Chapter 11 bankruptcy - proof that Kmart's empire "Kameapart"[/b] in 2002. :insane:

Well atleast they still are around after filing for bankruptcy, most companies anymore aren't lucky enough to make it out of it.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

CTAmeshopper

I hope they get their act together soon, or else they might end up next on the list for closings. In this type of economic climate it wouldn't be unlikely for them to end up on the chopping block. They are still in financial trouble and at most pretty stagnant. :no: :(

videogamer75

Kmart was VERY lucky to make it out of chapter 11 bankruptcy. I can't think of a single other store chain that filed for it and actually survived it - that is still in business today, I mean.

wwefan101

kmart will be around for a long  time

momof3

WWEfan, I hope you are right, If we lose Kmart we will only have Walmart and Target left, And I do really like Kmart. I also like having a bit of a choice in where to shop.

wwefan101

yea our kmart looks like ther geting new shelfs and stuf  they just  put  in a new floor  new check outs new service desk and riped out ther old doors  and put brand new ones in and this past holiday season  they had mile long lines at all 8 check outs wich  was a frist for them  i think this store is a good 20 to 40 years old  mabye older  they were here a lot longer then oxfords walmart that opend in 95

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
WWEfan, I hope you are right, If we lose Kmart we will only have Walmart and Target left, And I do really like Kmart. I also like having a bit of a choice in where to shop.
Don't forget the remaining regional discount stores, ShopKo, and Meijer. Right now ShopKo is the nation's largest regional retailer, with, with a majority of their stores in Wisconsin. They have stores in 13 states in the Midwest, mountain, and Pacific Northwest states, including one in Redding, California. Meijer, on the other hand, is based out of Michigan, and is a chain of discount stores and hypermarkets similar to Walmart Suercenter, Super Kmart, and Sears Grand, with stores in lower Michigan and Ohio. If Kmart goes under, I wonder if ShopKo or Meijer might take over many locations in the south, southwest, New England, and the east coast. Only time will tell if the economy will get back on track, so that they can expand outside of their current market. I have to say that Kmart is desperate, and that their reputation has gone downhill over the past ten years. What made it worse was their filing for chapter 11, as well as the trouble caused by Martha Stewart's insider trading scandal. Kmart acquired Sears, and experimented with different store concepts, such as the ill-fated Sears Essentials (I personally think it would've made more sense calling it 'Sears Discount', or 'Sears Bargains').  I feel Kmart and their parent company, Sears Holdings,  are taking losses from failed experiments and store closings.

videogamer75

I hope Shopko hangs in there. They're one of the last of their kind. I personally think they should stay small for now, at least until the economy crisis is over. Then afterwards they should expand all over America, perhaps by buying up a lot of the stores that closed during the economy crisis.

retailfan

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
Don't forget the remaining regional discount stores, ShopKo, and Meijer. Right now ShopKo is the nation's largest regional retailer, with, with a majority of their stores in Wisconsin. They have stores in 13 states in the Midwest, mountain, and Pacific Northwest states, including one in Redding, California. Meijer, on the other hand, is based out of Michigan, and is a chain of discount stores and hypermarkets similar to Walmart Suercenter, Super Kmart, and Sears Grand, with stores in lower Michigan and Ohio. If Kmart goes under, I wonder if ShopKo or Meijer might take over many locations in the south, southwest, New England, and the east coast. Only time will tell if the economy will get back on track, so that they can expand outside of their current market. I have to say that Kmart is desperate, and that their reputation has gone downhill over the past ten years. What made it worse was their filing for chapter 11, as well as the trouble caused by Martha Stewart's insider trading scandal. Kmart acquired Sears, and experimented with different store concepts, such as the ill-fated Sears Essentials (I personally think it would've made more sense calling it 'Sears Discount', or 'Sears Bargains').  I feel Kmart and their parent company, Sears Holdings,  are taking losses from failed experiments and store closings.
Meijer is lso in Indiana an soes pretty good I dont see them expanding though  as just a year ago or so they layed off a lot of manegmnt Ihavent heard much on how they are fairing through this economy but they never have cashiers worng  the lines are always very long  30 checkout lanes and usually maybe 6 are open

The people really need to stimulate the Kmart brand by opening more Super Kmart stores, as well as opening bigger locations with two entrances, and wider aisles that can be easily navigable with shopping carts, which has worked well with Target and ShopKo. I'm sure it would work well with Kmart. I would also like to see the the Big K signs removed and replaced with just Kmart signs with the caption "A part of the Sears family." underneath it, as well as the name of the city on each location.

Zayre88

By the way, what is the current Kmart slogan?  

We all know that Wal-mart is "Alway low prices" or "Save money, live better".

Target: "Expect more, pay less"

Kohl's: "Expect great things"

Kmart has used many but i have no idea what is their current marketing slogan.  It once was "The stuff of life"...  if they don't have one, it will be yet another reason for more bashing by me. :mad:

videogamer75

On Kmart commercials, they usually say ''There's smart, and there's Kmart smart'' at the very end. However, I haven't actually seen it used as a print slogan.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by wwefan101
kmart will be around for a long  time

i doubt it and it was a really bad move for sears to merge with them there bring down a compay that already had troble staying aflot over all kmart needs to go they have tried and tried but nothing seems to work so i mean i doubt they will be around much longer

all the ones near me were once caldors they still look like caldor on the inside they resued almost evreything caldor left behind only thing they did was a cheep paint job on the outside of the stores also the store is cluttered and cramped with merchandise and that kmart cafe always makes the store smell so horrble and the people who work there just dont care at all
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

I would like to see Wesfarmers, a company based out of the UK buy out Sears Holdings, and remodel the Kmart Stores to look like their Australian counterparts, and maybe business might improve at the American Kmart stores. I like the Australian Kmart logo better than the American one.

Mervyns

Kmart had no reason to close stores here and there even in their strongholds. They should have taken better care of their stores all along. Their decision to sell out to Sears was ridiculous. And I hate the new Sears and Kmart logos.

retailfan

Actually Kmart bought Sears then took the sears name and offices

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by retailfan
Actually Kmart bought Sears then took the sears name and offices

Still, technically they merged Kmart into Sears. I think they tried making the Kmart stores more Sears-like.

wwefan101

they beter not make kmart look like sears i hate sears   and our kmart is great the way it is

CTAmeshopper

My Kmart is still not done with the so-called remodel, it's now stuck half between a little of the 70's, 1997, and halfway to 2009. What the heck are they doing? :barf:

nims57

Kmart has a fresh new mascot. Seen at Sears too.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Kmart has a fresh new mascot. Seen at Sears too.
:holysh: Hmmmm, the yellow smiley and the "rollback" concept seems very similiar to another big box retailer also ending in the name"MART".
Kmart gets an F for fresh and inovative ideas! :mrpink:
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Well I visited our new Walmart in Hooksett tonight. I was surprised to see the signage through out the store. Apparently the smiley that I remember being all over their signs in fact has been replaced by the new asterisk. Go Kmart for grabbing smiley as their new sign mascot!! :bigsmile: Smile, your saving even more!!
And after visiting the Kmart in West Lebanon, NH. I would agree with that statement!!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
Well I visited our new Walmart in Hooksett tonight. I was surprised to see the signage through out the store. Apparently the smiley that I remember being all over their signs in fact has been replaced by the new asterisk. Go Kmart for grabbing smiley as their new sign mascot!! :bigsmile: Smile, your saving even more!!
And after visiting the Kmart in West Lebanon, NH. I would agree with that statement!!

Huh???!? This is a joke, right?

Since when is Kmart's mascot the yellow Walmart smiley? I thought it was the light-bulb guy.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX

Since when is Kmart's mascot the yellow Walmart smiley? I thought it was the light-bulb guy.

Not quite the Wal-Mart smiley, but a similar yellow smiley is now the mascot for Joe Boxer, a Kmart brand (of course also sold at Sears now).

KmartDanny09

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX

Not quite the Wal-Mart smiley, but a similar yellow smiley is now the mascot for Joe Boxer, a Kmart brand (of course also sold at Sears now).

Joe Boxer has always used the logo of a yellow smiley face with the tongue sticking out for years... even before their exclusive contract with Kmart... way back when Joe Boxer bedding was seen in JCPenny catalogs. Joe Boxer is separate company from Kmart... we just sell their products exclusively! But yea, the yellow smiley face is nothing new... hell, I have a pair of boxers with that logo on it from when I was 11 (and I'm 19 now).

As far as the current logo for the actual Kmart... it's the blue light bulb known as "Mr. Bluelight." Haven't seen anything in-store or our sign warehouse to indicate we're switching to a yellow smiley... then again, do you think Wal-Mart would let us get away with it? -_-

The current Kmart slogan is "There's smart, then there's Kmart Smart." The phrase has begun to be used in in-store ad materials, especially for Sears Credit Cards and Layaway promotions

EddieJ1984

Actually walmart wouldn't be able to do a damn thing.

from wikipedia"

In 2006 Wal-Mart, which prominently featured a smiley in its "Rolling Back Prices" campaign, sought to trademark the smiley face in the United States, coming into legal conflict with Loufrani and Smiley World over the matter.[4][5] In 2006 Wal-mart began to phase out the smiley face on its vests[6] and its website. [7] During a trademark infringement case against an online parodist, Wal-Mart again tried to claim it held the trademark rights to the yellow smiley face. In March 2008, Wal-Mart lost the case and the judge stated in his decision that Wal-Mart did not own rights to the smiley face.[8]

Which explains why we haven't seen walmart use the smiley face too much and make a new logo (the sunburst/asterisk logo).

nims57

They have big signs at Sears now with the smiley face. And yes Joe Boxer is actually a British company.

TRJ22487

Before Kmart sold them, Joe Boxer was considered to be "cool" in the 90's