Kmart bashing

Started by Zayre88, January 05, 2005, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

A book i would like to read:  Kmart's ten deadly sins: how incompetence tainted an American Icon.  The table of content gives a good idea !!

Ch. 1 Brand Mismanagement :yup:
Ch. 2 Not Knowing Its Customers
Ch. 3 Underestimating Wal-Mart :yup:
Ch. 4 Lousy Locations
Ch. 5 Ignoring Store Appearance :yup:
Ch. 6 Technology Aversion
Ch. 7 Supply Chain Disconnect
Ch. 8 Loss of Focus
Ch. 9 Strategy du Jour
Ch. 10 Repeating the Same Mistakes

Zayre88

Here i'm bashing Kmart again on it's very attractive Garden Center ... !  Sorry but that's awful, it's look like a dump compared to the competition.

Note the old school "garden shop" lettering.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here i'm bashing Kmart again on it's very attractive Garden Center ... !  Sorry but that's awful, it's look like a dump compared to the competition.

Note the old school "garden shop" lettering.

I agree the garden shop lettering is their 70s decor.

They haven;t changed it. why dont they change the lettering for garden cetner. Some k-marts have changed the lettering of garden center to complete red, like West Lebanon nh.

The store you have the picture of is the one in Portsmouth NH

dayville81

Kmart bought Sears and they need to revamp Kmarts as Sears Grand or Sears Essentials. Kmarts tend to be old crappy stores and kinda dirty, they dont clean them that much. Dust balls are on the floor and dust is on the merchandise. Sears has better image than Kmart.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
Kmart bought Sears and they need to revamp Kmarts as Sears Grand or Sears Essentials. Kmarts tend to be old crappy stores and kinda dirty, they dont clean them that much. Dust balls are on the floor and dust is on the merchandise. Sears has better image than Kmart.

i think Sears is just like kmart in a way Sears has lost its way as a Dept store there they have gotten so cheep looking and they nevere have anthing good and there so overe priced on things and alot of therre stores are messy and the Sears Grand idea is a despret atemped to be like wal mart i do hope Sears GOB soon cause i dont see why theres a need for them if i wanan go to a dept store i'll go to JC Penny Macys Bloomingdales nordsteom Bon Ton Filenes Kohls ect
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Anonymous

My local Kmart (Broomall, PA, Reed & Sproul Roads) closed in late August 2004 and opened as a Home Depot in late May 2005. You can still easily tell it was a Kmart, because Home Depot still uses the old storefront and in short, left the exterior pretty much the same. Around the top of the store by the garden center, the Kmart red was painted Home Depot orange.

Zayre88

More Kmart bashing:  I hate Kmart for wasting milions on opening dozens of new stores and Super Kmart Centers in the 90's to keep up with Wal-Mart... only to close hundreds of them later.

I hate to see pictures of almost new Kmart buildings sitting vacant when older stores that have managed to stay open don't get a dime to put up a new logo, a pylon sign, buy new carts or do a basic renovation... :mad:

Caldor1999

what i dont like about them is how they had the big kmart logo when its teh same as a normel kmart
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dmx10101

More Kmart bashing:  I hate Kmart for wasting milions on opening dozens of new stores and Super Kmart Centers in the 90's to keep up with Wal-Mart... only to close hundreds of them later.

I hate to see pictures of almost new Kmart buildings sitting vacant when older stores that have managed to stay open don't get a dime to put up a new logo, a pylon sign, buy new carts or do a basic renovation... :mad:

That looks like a pretty nice Kmart, was that a Super K?
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

I love Kmart just cause when I go into one it takes me back. SInce their stores have stayed pretty much the same loooking for the past 10-15 years. I enjoy seeing a bit of the good ole days when I go in one, but I know at the same time thats what kill them and their business...not updating with the times.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Zayre88

Yet another new Kmart concept....in an old shell.  I'm getting tired of concepts, concepts, orange, lime green, essentials, grand, K-mart with Kenmore/craftsman, new red logo, Big Kmart logos everything is mixed up without a clear nationwide strategy... It's time to get over concepts and roll out something big and new for the chain now!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-kmart_tests_new-storesjun23,0,7740678.story?page=1

Kmart tests concepts in out-of-way corners

KmartDanny09

As an employee of K-Mart (cashier, Toledo Oh) I have several problems with K-Mart...

1) The air conditioning!!! Even when the outside temperatures reached 90 degrees, management didn't turn the air conditioning on. We had an elderly woman faint, and several more complained and threatened to take their business elsewhere. We were allowed to use fans, but they had to be purchased. It took a few calls to 1-866-Kmart-4U before they would turn it on... even now, its still hot.

2) Not having enough cashiers. Okay, K-Mart is crappy at scheduling cashiers. Usually, only 2 cashiers handle a 5 shift. The main probelm is that one cashier is usually assigned to putting returns and unwanted items away. Even a line gets backed up, they would have returns processed. Even during peak times (i.e, Sundays) only two cashier work! very rarely do they open another line or have the jewelry associate help with the line.

3) Confusing clothing layouts. There is very little department division in the apperal side of things. Women's and juniors are mixed in the same area and plus sizes are put with petites. Also, at my store, the men's jeans overlaps into women's. No signs really mark where these departments are.

4) Horrible merchandising standards/crappy fixtures. K-Mart needs to update its stores. The fixtures are crappy and many are falling apart. Also, the plan-o-gram people don't plan space all that well, even having some product turned sideways (with no logo or picture facing the customer) to fit on shelves.

Okay, now for the postives

1) Good place to work. Nice management and very friendly employees. Very helpful when I first started working there.

2) Small. This is very popular with the older folks. The main reason why they shop there.

3) Nice clothes. Most clothing that I own comes from K-Mart, and not only because of the 25% off discount. They have decent clothing that rivals the price and style of some the mall stores that my friends frequent.

4) Clean. The stores are pretty clean, despite being old and rather old dated.

CTAmeshopper

mine hasn't changed their roof signage since 1997 NOT a good sign.

C. Fontaine

SO.  After looking for something on Target's website I checked out Nicks latest post on his blog, and saw the KMart screenshot on it.  I opened Kmarts site alongside Targets, wow.  One can barely tell the difference!  You could swap logos and never know the difference.  It seems to me that KMart maybe be ripping off Targets color/font scheme and layout... it just screams Target.  Just slightly. :insane:

As for the remodel... come on.  I'm not going to KMart to use the Internet Cafe, unless they have an actual Cafe with really good food.  The picture on their site looks more like the in-house suspension room in my high school.

Zayre88

It's been a while since i bashed K-mart.  I just have a question: Do you guys know when was the last time K-mart opened a new store?  

(Really adding a new store, maybe using an existing building, or better, building a brand new one!)  

My understanding is, that for the past 4-5 years, they closed stores here and there, they tried concepts, they converted some store to Sears, but i don't remember any new store openings...

Mobil

It's been a while since i bashed K-mart.  I just have a question: Do you guys know when was the last time K-mart opened a new store?  

(Really adding a new store, maybe using an existing building, or better, building a brand new one!)  

My understanding is, that for the past 4-5 years, they closed stores here and there, they tried concepts, they converted some store to Sears, but i don't remember any new store openings...

They bought many stores from Venture in 1996. There was a Kmart near me that relocated to a former Clover in 1997. Their stores do not seem outdated to me. But of course Kmart seems outdated compared to Wal-Mart, which moves their stores every 6 years.

Zayre88

I remember about the Venture stores acquired by Kmart, but how come Target, Wal-Mart and Kohl's have been opening dozens of new stores while Kmart does nothing?  I'm tired of seeing new concept stores here and there without any aggresive moves by Kmart.  That was my Kmart bashing of the week!

Mobil

I remember about the Venture stores acquired by Kmart, but how come Target, Wal-Mart and Kohl's have been opening dozens of new stores while Kmart does nothing?  I'm tired of seeing new concept stores here and there without any aggresive moves by Kmart.  That was my Kmart bashing of the week!

Kmart was around before the others. They were continuously expanding from the beginning. Wal-Mart, however, did not become well established until 1981. Target was around 1983. And Kohl's started expanding nationally in 1997.

Zayre88

I just hate to see Kmart pulling back, closing stores, leaving markets without a fight, that's all.  They are lousy.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

They bought many stores from Venture in 1996. There was a Kmart near me that relocated to a former Clover in 1997. Their stores do not seem outdated to me. But of course Kmart seems outdated compared to Wal-Mart, which moves their stores every 6 years.

last time they opened a new store was just before they filed for Chapter 11

Mobil

I just hate to see Kmart pulling back, closing stores, leaving markets without a fight, that's all.  They are lousy.

Some of these stores they close due to "lease expirations". They did close the one right near me, and I have many in my area, for some odd reason. They do seem to lack a focused strategy.

But the real reason Kmart went bankrupt was embezzlement. That also happened to Grand Union. The CEO of Grand Union took some lavish trip to Brazil and sunk the company.

store215

I don't know when Kmart opened their last store, but I wouldn't plan on any new stores for a while, especially with the poor economy. My local Kmart seems to be doing great business as the local Wal-Mart closed to become a Supercenter, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. They are actually fixing up the walls, got new carts, and added a self-serve snack bar.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
I don't know when Kmart opened their last store, but I wouldn't plan on any new stores for a while, especially with the poor economy. My local Kmart seems to be doing great business as the local Wal-Mart closed to become a Supercenter, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. They are actually fixing up the walls, got new carts, and added a self-serve snack bar.

Where is this Wal-Mart? Serves them right.

Zayre88

Remember that this is the Kmart bashing thread.  I know that now is not the time for Kmart to open new stores, i just want to point out that other chains were expanding while Kmart did nothing... just closing stores.

The states i cover are Maine and NH.  Kmart once had 9 stores in Maine and 12 stores in New Hampshire for a total of 21.  In that period, Kmart was alone with regional chains like Ames, Rich's and Bradlees (and Wal-Mart expanding).  All regional chains are now gone.

Between then and 2009, Kmart closed 6 stores and transformed three into Sears Essentials.  Target had no stores in these states and opened 14 new stores since 2001. Same thing for Kohl's which went from zero to 13 stores.  Kmart is down to 12...

Target went from nothing to passing Kmart which was well established.  They managed to grow by opening new stores in cities with and without a Kmart and in bigger cities where competition is strong.  Kmart did nothing even though those opportunities were there for Target and Kohl's to grab. Why?

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
QuoteHere's the former Kmart in Skowhegan ME.  The store closed in 1996.  The logo was removed after a few years.

That photo is kinda creepy....I mean, it's just sitting there in the middle of nowhere with no cars in the parking lot and the insides blocked off. Is it still closed? When was the logo taken off?

The store is closed since 1996 and the supermarket in the same plaza moved closer to the Wal-Mart.  The plaza is 95% empty now.  The Ames across the street from that store also closed in the same year.  The busy commercial area is now around the Wal-Mart.

The store is still vacant and the logo was taken off maybe two years after the closing.  Here is a picture of the inside.

What a neat retro Kmart interior. Did Tractor Supply keep the red stripes on the floors and the wall?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Remember that this is the Kmart bashing thread.  I know that now is not the time for Kmart to open new stores, i just want to point out that other chains were expanding while Kmart did nothing... just closing stores.

The states i cover are Maine and NH.  Kmart once had 9 stores in Maine and 12 stores in New Hampshire for a total of 21.  In that period, Kmart was alone with regional chains like Ames, Rich's and Bradlees (and Wal-Mart expanding).  All regional chains are now gone.

Between then and 2009, Kmart closed 6 stores and transformed three into Sears Essentials.  Target had no stores in these states and opened 14 new stores since 2001. Same thing for Kohl's which went from zero to 13 stores.  Kmart is down to 12...

Target went from nothing to passing Kmart which was well established.  They managed to grow by opening new stores in cities with and without a Kmart and in bigger cities where competition is strong.  Kmart did nothing even though those opportunities were there for Target and Kohl's to grab. Why?

Yeah. I would've loved to see more Super Kmart stores open, especially in the Midwest and New England.

tntornadox

Actually, Kmart did expand up until the early 2000s... mostly Super K's.

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by tntornadox
Actually, Kmart did expand up until the early 2000s... mostly Super K's.

Now they are doing the opposite, downsizing, closing stores, especially Super Ks.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101

Now they are doing the opposite, downsizing, closing stores, especially Super Ks.

That's my point, I hate to see Kmart downsize while other chains are able to find opportunities to grow!

tntornadox

I think SHC may be realizing Super Kmart is the only way forward for their discount division- they recently launched superkmart.com whereas before there was no distinguishing a regular Kmart from a Supercenter on their website.