Northland Center, Southfield, MI (1954-2015)

Started by Hudsons81, February 24, 2015, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

With Target already shuttered and Macy's well into it's store-closing sale, a judge may decide this week on the future of Northland Center in Southfield, Michigan. If permission is granted, the historic shopping hub, currently over half-vacant, will be shutting down entirely after continually serving the surrounding area for 61 years.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2015/02/23/judge-decide-northland-mall-can-close/23909029/

This mall opened on March 22, 1954 as one of the very first suburban regional malls, as well as what happened to be the first of Metro Detroit's four directional malls. Hudson's was the sole anchor. Original tenants included Hughes & Hatcher men's wear, Winkelman's and Himelhoch's ladies' apparel stores, Barnabee Children's Shops, Baker's Shoes, Chandler's Shoes, Sander's Confectionery, Kroger and Kresge.

At first, it was in the unincorporated Southfield Township, which was incorporated as the city of Southfield in September 1957. This mall received quicker access in 1962 when the James Couzens (currently John C. Lodge) Freeway was extended from Wyoming Street in Detroit to 8 Mile Road.

This mall, originally open-air, was enclosed in 1974 during a four-year renovation that added Montgomery Ward and JCPenney anchors.

By 1986, national chains had begun to leave the mall, but the Illinois-based Main Street department store chain opened a Northland location that year. Two years later, it would be rebranded as Kohl's.

A food court was added in 1991 and TJMaxx opened a junior anchor tenant around the same time. Target opened in April 1996 and closed on February 1, 2015. Montgomery Ward closed in early 1998.

The 21st century brought major changes. JCPenney left in June 2000 and Kohl's fled too in 2004. The old Montgomery Ward was leased to National Wholesale Liquidators, who opened in October 2004 but closed in November 2008. Hudson's was rebranded as Marshall Field's in early 2001 and morphed into Macy's in September 2006.

UPDATE: The end is officially near. The judge has decided to grant permission to close it.

TheFugitive

Did it ever have a Herman's Sporting Goods location?
I think I may have had a job interview there once.

TheFugitive

Interesting ruling.  Even if you are fully current on rent, and have a valid lease, your landlord cannot
be forced to continue keeping the venue open if they are losing money. 

BillyGr

I suppose it makes sense, since even if the tenants are paying their rents, if enough of the mall is empty spots (paying nothing) then they might not have enough money from the paid rents to keep everything running and operational for the whole mall?

Hudsons81

I went there today and a post will be up on my blog soon.

EDIT: Posted. http://motor-city-retail-history.blogspot.com/2015/03/northland-center-southfield-michigan.html

Hudsons81

Soon after the Macy's closing sale ends, everything must go across the remainder of Northland Center...including the famed "Boy and Bear" sculpture by Marshall Fredericks. Fredericks also commissioned the "Lion and Mouse" sculpture for nearby Eastland Center and the "Spirit of Detroit" sculpture for Detroit's city hall.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/2015/03/18/northland-marshall-fredericks-boy-and-bear/24969141/

Hudsons81

Northland Center officially closed on April 15, 2015. The last remaining tenants, H&R Block and a few shoe stores, were allowed to remain open due to a combination of tax season and the Easter holiday, when the shoe stores received high traffic.