What was in this abandoned shopping center?

Started by jamesway_95, February 19, 2015, 02:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesway_95

Located at the corner of W. State Road and W. 5 Mile Road in Allegany, New York.

BillyGr

any photos - that might help.  I can't find pictures via the street view site, maybe they haven't done that area.

jamesway_95

I'm not sure how to link to it (you used to be able to do it easily); and I don't want to Print Screen it since it's copyrighted. If you type ''Allegany, NY'' into the search bar on Google Maps, the center is towards the top left. It's right under the Southern Tier Expressway. Street View is available, though the quality isn't that great.

jamesway_95

JimSawhill

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on June 24, 2015, 04:34:45 PM
What's a Central Tractor?

When putting it in a search engine, the first result is Tractor Supply, so I would assume it was a similar type of store that Tractor Supply eventually bought out.
They may have also been the ones that at some point used the name CT Farm & Fleet (assuming the CT stood for Central Tractor)?

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on June 25, 2015, 04:29:10 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on June 24, 2015, 04:34:45 PM
What's a Central Tractor?

When putting it in a search engine, the first result is Tractor Supply, so I would assume it was a similar type of store that Tractor Supply eventually bought out.
They may have also been the ones that at some point used the name CT Farm & Fleet (assuming the CT stood for Central Tractor)?

I found what Central Tractor was..it was the third biggest farm and ranch store when it merged with Quality Stores, the second biggest. It went bankrupt and TSC bought some stores...

TheFugitive

Yes, Central Tractor was a farm supply company.  I think they were located out in Nebraska or Iowa someplace.  They did eventually merge with Quality Farm & Fleet, which in turn was taken over by Tractor Supply.

Oddly enough I had worked for Tractor Supply, and we actually special ordered some of our
tractor parts and tillage from Central Tractor at the time.  

Tractor Supply made a lot of enemies in each of these transactions.  They always made a big deal
out of firing all of the existing staff so that "we can replace them with 'our people'".

Singularly unpleasant people to work for.  Nearly as bad as Service Merchandise.

jamesway_95

There was a CT Farm & Country in Hammonton, NJ. It was located in an ex-Super Fresh and A&P. Today, Goodwill and a liquor store occupy the building.

shore72

The old Central Tractor in Salisbury, MD was located in a subdivided former Ames. That's the only one I can remember around here, and it went away with their bankruptcy. Now we have Tractor Supply stores all over the place. My father-in-law, retired, worked at one for a couple years. He enjoyed dealing with customers and getting a healthy discount but, as one of the only truly knowledgeable people on the floor, they worked him to death.