Local Food Favorites that you moved away from (and miss)

Started by TheFugitive, February 18, 2015, 04:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Many parts of the country have local food favorites or regional restaurant chains with unique offerings.
Primanti Brothers here in Pittsburgh is one good example.  Their sandwiches in Italian bread piled high with meat, coleslaw and French-fries, are not really available anyplace else.  (I was never a fan personally, it was always an after-the-bars-close munchie, and still perhaps the most overrated thing I've ever put in my mouth.  I assumed the fact that most of them were being consumed by drunks accounted for the legend)

Some that I experienced in other places, and miss now that I'm no longer close by:

Bill Thomas' Haloburger - A small chain with a handful of stores in the Flint and Saginaw, Michigan area.  No doubt some of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

Big John's Steak and Onion - a Michigan chain that featured HUGE steak and onion subs, piled high with ring peppers and other toppings.

Koegel's Meats - A truly outstanding brand of locally-produced hot dogs in the Flint, MI area.

Donato's Pizza - A local chain in Columbus, Ohio that features thin, crispy, spicy pies which are delivered cut in a square grid pattern, despite the fact that the pies are round.

Anyone have any others out there which they wish could be obtained close-by?

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 18, 2015, 04:23:02 PM
Donato's Pizza - A local chain in Columbus, Ohio that features thin, crispy, spicy pies which are delivered cut in a square grid pattern, despite the fact that the pies are round.

Looks like they do have a few locations outside of OH, as far away as Alabama and North Carolina, even though 90%+ are within Ohio.  Maybe a slowly expanding once local chain?