Weathervane Seafood Restaurants closes four locations

Started by retailisking, January 26, 2015, 04:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Three locations in Maine and one in New Hampshire shut their doors for good
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/01/26/weathervane-closes-3-maine-restaurants/

HannafordHearts

Wow, I had no idea that there were even other Weathervane restaurants. A very long time ago, there was a Weathervane restaurant in East Greenbush, NY. It later became a place in a similar vein called Fisherman's Cove, and has now been sitting vacant and boarded up for over 8 years.

retailisking

They've been steadily closing locations over the last decade or so. There were a couple locations in Massachusetts as well, including one on the strip in Lynnfield. The Sanford, Maine location closed a while back. This development is really inconvenient for me as I have a sizable balance on my Weathervane gift cards!

BillyGr

Quote from: HannafordHearts on January 26, 2015, 04:36:15 PM
Wow, I had no idea that there were even other Weathervane restaurants. A very long time ago, there was a Weathervane restaurant in East Greenbush, NY. It later became a place in a similar vein called Fisherman's Cove, and has now been sitting vacant and boarded up for over 8 years.

There were two others in the area as well - one on Wolf Road (which was an old Ponderosa and is now a 99) and one just south of Saratoga Spa state Park on Route 9 (which had been empty for some time after Weathervane closed and I am not sure what may be there now or what it was originally).  I believe Saratoga was around for a couple years after the other two, but don't remember for sure when it closed.

Also note that the East Greenbush one was the original Howard Johnson's in the area.

I think they had somewhere around 15 or so at their peak - I know when they closed the ones here they blamed the high cost of transporting fresh seafood the distance to this area from the shore areas.

JimSawhill

Is the Dover location, which was an old A&W Root beer stand, still open? When my parents and I went to Maine, we ate at either Sanford or Dover, NH.