Main Menu

Decades

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), January 23, 2015, 12:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Decades is an upcoming TV network that will air on digital terrestrial stations. The network will specialize in pop culture and classic TV. Decades is owned and operated by CBS and Weigel Broadcasting.

Affiliates

Los Angeles KCBS-TV 2.2 (43)

Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto KOVR 13.2 (25)

San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose KPIX-TV 5.2 (29)

Denver KCNC-TV 4.2 (35)

Miami- Fort Lauderdale WFOR-TV 4.2 (22)

Chicago WBBM-TV 2.2 (12)

Baltimore WJZ-TV 13.2 (13)

Boston WBZ-TV 4.2 (30)

Detroit WWJ-TV 62.2 (44)

Green Bay - Appleton, Wisconsin WBAY-TV 2.3 (23)

Milwaukee WDJT-TV 58.4 (46)

Minneapolis - St. Paul WCCO-TV 4.2 (32)
Alexandria, Minnesota KCCO-TV 7.2 (7)
Walker, Minnesota KCCW-TV 12.2 (12)

New York City WCBS-TV 2.2 (33)

Philadelphia KYW-TV 3.3 (26)

Pittsburgh KDKA-TV 2.2 (25)

Nashville WJDE-LD 32.3 (31)

Fort Worth - Dallas KTVT 11.2 (19)

Programs that will air on Decades:

Future Programs:

Beverly Hills 90210
Burke's Law
Cheers
Colonel March of Scotland Yard
The Doris Day Show
F Troop
Family Affair
Friday the 13th: The Series
The Fugitive
Get Smart
Happy Days
Honey West
I Love Lucy
Melrose Place
The Millionaire
The Mothers-in-Law
The Phil Silvers Show
Route 66
Seven Days
Star Trek
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Voyager
War of the Worlds
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

E/I requirement programming:

Animal Rescue Classics
Dog Tales Classics
Elizabeth Stanton's Great Big World
Missing: Cold Cases
Word Travels

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 23, 2015, 12:56:14 AM

The Fugitive

Hey, maybe a new generation will finally discover why my
screen name is humorous!    :D

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 23, 2015, 08:49:17 AM

The Fugitive

Is it because it was named after this TV show?

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 24, 2015, 08:12:28 AM
Quote from: TheFugitive on January 23, 2015, 08:49:17 AM

The Fugitive

Is it because it was named after this TV show?

In the TV show Dr. Richard Kimball becomes a fugitive because he is suspected in
his wife's murder.  In reality she was murdered by a mysterious one-armed man.
The series is all about his quest to avoid capture while seeking out the one-armed
man in order to clear his name.  He finally finds and confronts the one-armed man
in the final episode (something that television would not do again for many, many
years, as the definitive series ending pretty much killed-off any syndication value)

In one particular Ames store where I was assigned my boss was a rather
demanding, somewhat bombastic person who only had one arm.  People in
the store nicknamed me The Fugitive because "the one-armed man was ruining
his life".

The Fugitive TV series (and subsequent movie starring Harrison Ford) were inspired by
the real-life case of Sam Sheppard, a doctor from Cleveland, Ohio who was accused of
killing his wife.  He likewise had claimed that a mysterious intruder had done the deed
and not he.  The US Supreme Court overturned his conviction after a decade in prison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Sheppard

WBAY-TV 2 Green Bay, Wisconsin aborted their plans of putting Decades on the air. The channel just went dark on May 29, 2015, after Live Well Network's final broadcast.

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 08, 2015, 10:38:25 PM
WBAY-TV 2 Green Bay, Wisconsin aborted their plans of putting Decades on the air. The channel just went dark on May 29, 2015, after Live Well Network's final broadcast.
...and since that channel went dark, 2-3 defaulted to its non-PSIP position of 23-5, labeled "unknown". Future plans for that channel's replacement are to be announced by WBAY's parent company, Media General.

I hope the get another chance to fill that vacant spot on the dial (with a similar digital channel like getTV or Antenna TV).

Channel 5 Green Bay/3 Marquette will not get a digital subchannel, due to the reluctance of their current parent company, Nexstar Broadcasting, to add digital subchannels to their stations, because of competition issues (although they have some TV networks in their portfolio that have Bounce TV as their subchannel).

Hudsons81

In case anyone missed, for their weekend binge right now Decades is showing the rarely-seen William Dozier show The Green Hornet. It debuted in the fall of 1966 as a follow-up to Batman as an adaption of the original radio series created by George Trendle for WXYZ (now WXYT) in Detroit. In fact, the national popularity of Trendle's shows was how Detroit landed one of ABC's original five owned-and-operated stations. WXYZ-TV was an ABC O&O until 1986 and is now owned by the EW Scripps Company. WXYZ-TV would have aired The Green Hornet and Batman during their respective network runs.

WBAY was supposed to get decades on 2-3, but instead got an Ion affiliate in that spot, since Media General struck a deal with Ion to carry Ion's main channel on the digital subchannels of many TV stations in most markets where the Ion network is absent, like Green Bay, Wisconsin (WBAY-TV) and Davenport, Iowa (KWQC-TV). I do hope Decades comes to Green Bay in the future (maybe the local CBS, FOX, or NBC affiliate could pick them up).

TheFugitive

I like this channel but it's lineup is too utterly, unpredictably random.

And the channel guide on OTA stations only goes ahead a few hours.
So unless you want to keep checking their website there's no way to decide
when or if you want to watch Decades.

TheFugitive

Some thoughts about Decades now that I've had access to it for awhile.

Some of the documentary programming is very interesting.  And the Weekend Binge is a blast
IF they are running a series that you enjoy.  (if it's a show you don't then, feh!)

However, they do not run with any set schedule (the daily lineup is COMPLETELY different from day to day, and the only program that is consistent on a daily basis is their self-produced Through the Decades documentary series).

This makes Decades virtually impossible to watch unless you have first gone to their website to review the schedule for that week.  It's not as if you know that program "x" will be on every Thursday at 9.  You never know what you'll get unless you visit the website.

It's an interesting concept, but I have to wonder if it is viable in the long run.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 21, 2016, 08:16:49 AM
However, they do not run with any set schedule (the daily lineup is COMPLETELY different from day to day, and the only program that is consistent on a daily basis is their self-produced Through the Decades documentary series).

This makes Decades virtually impossible to watch unless you have first gone to their website to review the schedule for that week.  It's not as if you know that program "x" will be on every Thursday at 9.  You never know what you'll get unless you visit the website.

It's an interesting concept, but I have to wonder if it is viable in the long run.

Sort of like the major networks do (at least in prime time and on weekends) and have for years?