Target to exit Canada

Started by dmx10101, January 15, 2015, 09:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Reminds me of the closing of Zellers not that long ago! 

The difference, nicer merchandise and everything is brand new...

danfifepsu

whatll the status of target be a month from today.

buzz86us

just as Target exits the Canadian market Wal-Mart comes charging in with a vengeance

danfifepsu

show me pics of the toy isle and electronics. OK TArget in Canada closed sooner than I thought, I gave it till 2016. Will TArget try again in Canada someday, What of bringing back Zellers. Zellers was similar to Target I thought. This is like the Ames Zayre train wreck.

TheFugitive

Whaddya know....I can actually read those signs!

Kudos to the late Mr. Rebersak, my high-school French teacher!

Zayre88

9 days to go for our local store, one of 16 to close by March 22, 2015.  They essentially packed and shipped most of the merchandise left to larger stores in Quebec City.  We won't get to see merchandise being liquidated at 90% off...!

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 14, 2015, 09:12:55 AM
9 days to go for our local store, one of 16 to close by March 22, 2015.  They essentially packed and shipped most of the merchandise left to larger stores in Quebec City.  We won't get to see merchandise being liquidated at 90% off...!

Probably makes sense with the large scale closing like this, and likely more people seeing (and hopefully buying) the items in the larger areas.

Zayre88

Quote from: BillyGr on March 15, 2015, 01:45:27 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on March 14, 2015, 09:12:55 AM

Probably makes sense with the large scale closing like this, and likely more people seeing (and hopefully buying) the items in the larger areas.

Yeah, they also stopped deliveries to the smaller and more remote stores when they began to empty the warehouses. 

Instead of operating smaller stores for too long with merchandise moving less quickly it does make sense at some point to transfer anything left to larger stores and close them earlier.

Zayre88

Target Canada has closed 16 stores already.  20 more will close by April 1st

Zayre88

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 27, 2015, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on February 03, 2015, 08:56:25 AM
when does the one in Sherbrooke close?

in 4 days

show me pics of the Toy department at TArget Canada. I feel Target And Zellers were similar, why dont they sell the stores to Zellers and reopen Zellers. does the CAnada retail market go bad or something?

danfifepsu

so ends a a chapter as Target in Canada is gone. 2 years only wow.

TheFugitive

That collapse was twice as fast as Ames' four-year sojourn into Michigan.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on April 13, 2015, 07:33:10 AM
That collapse was twice as fast as Ames' four-year sojourn into Michigan.

what if TARget stayed longer? And does anyone have any pics of the toy debt at TArget in canada and how it differed from us stores?

shakethis1234

That's like Caldor built 3 brand new stores in 1994 in Syracuse area and closed them in 1996

danfifepsu

Quote from: shakethis1234 on April 13, 2015, 05:13:21 PM
That's like Caldor built 3 brand new stores in 1994 in Syracuse area and closed them in 1996

what went wrong with that?

Pikapower

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 13, 2015, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: shakethis1234 on April 13, 2015, 05:13:21 PM

what went wrong with that?

Maybe Caldor wasn't successful in that area?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

Reminds me of this: a Food Basics opened in Dearborn Heights, Michigan in 2004, became a Farmer Jack not long after and closed permanently in July 2007.

danfifepsu

why dont they bring back Zellers by having them reacquire Target in Canada?

retailisking

Quote from: muppethammer26 on April 21, 2015, 02:49:07 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 20, 2015, 09:52:13 PM
why dont they bring back Zellers by having them reacquire Target in Canada?

I wonder if Zellers would have survived longer should Zellers not been acquired by Target?

It's possible, but HBC wanted out of the discount store business. They might have been better off under private equity ownership, but there's no assurance of their long-term survival in a cutthroat retail market.

danfifepsu

how well did you think Zellers was doing.

standa

Zayre88

danfifepsu

what went wrong with zellers?

Zayre88

A quick note, Target Corp just recently started shipping to Canada through an International site.

Other retailers started that some time ago!  (And Target Canada should have started as an online site first...)

The only problem is that, similar to Target Canada stores, the website is lacking many items and prices are way too high!

One example, A mens C9 by Champion Polo shirt, on sale at $16.00 US, so far so good... but add to that $22.23 shipping fees and 5.33 duty fees for a grand total of 43.56$ US !!

That's almost $58.00 Canadian dollars!  :o

At that rate, it's cheaper to drive to the US, stay the night and pay $16.00 US in store.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 14, 2015, 02:43:08 PM
what went wrong with zellers?
Getting acquired by Target when they found that they'd miss their mark financially speaking...

Now most locations are being absorbed into other retailers, like Walmart, Lowe's Canada, and Canadian Tire. I highly doubt Zellers will ever come back. That ship has sailed. Zellers has gone to that big shopping mall in the sky.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 23, 2015, 08:19:06 PM
A quick note, Target Corp just recently started shipping to Canada through an International site.

Other retailers started that some time ago!  (And Target Canada should have started as an online site first...)

The only problem is that, similar to Target Canada stores, the website is lacking many items and prices are way too high!

One example, A mens C9 by Champion Polo shirt, on sale at $16.00 US, so far so good... but add to that $22.23 shipping fees and 5.33 duty fees for a grand total of 43.56$ US !!

That's almost $58.00 Canadian dollars!  :o

At that rate, it's cheaper to drive to the US, stay the night and pay $16.00 US in store.

I worked in an Ames store that was about 30 miles from the border, and that's EXACTLY what people did.

They'd come over and buy an entire new wardrobe, then dress in five layers so they could
wear it all home and tell Customs they had nothing to declare.  They'd come in their oldest,
rattiest attire, which they would discard in our parking lot.

At the time Michigan sales tax was 4% and between sales tax and GST they were paying
15% in Ontario.  Stores were also still closed on Sunday there so we got shopped heavily by
Canadians on Sundays.

This led to an angry dispute with our bank, which did not want to be burned with the added
cost of processing Loonies.  We had to threaten to yank our account to get them to back down.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

There are some prime shopping mall locations that were vacated by Target Canada, like the West Edmonton Mall location, for example, which has two floors. Seems like the perfect spot for JCPenney*, Nordstrom*, Macy's*, Kohl's*, Bloomingdale's*, Belk*, or some other department store that would easily fill both floors.

*This will only work if they do decide to expand into Canada.