Some from my personal collection

Started by Ameskid, December 26, 2014, 02:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

A bit of background on these: during 2007 and 2008, my family cleaned out my grandparents' house in Silver Spring, MD.  As they were hoarders, they kept a lot of useless crap, but they also saved things like vintage store bags and receipts that would have been thrown away long ago by anyone else.  Here are some of their receipts...

(Personal information has not been blocked out due to information having changed and a certain someone having died.)

Luskin's

Trak Auto (the receipt shown here has a light blue Trak Auto logo on the paper, which unfortunately didn't show up in the scanned image.)

Montgomery Ward

Ames/Zayre

Pace

...and a couple of KB Toys receipts from my own collection.

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Ames303

The Ames and Zayre receipts contain the cashier's social security numbers on them. How times have changed as far as privacy protection goes.

I recognize the card SKU right away - 81230013. I can't see the other SKU on the receipt but if it's STA it probably begins with 661.

Both of receipts are pre-scanning days and are running a customized version of the 3680 Retail Store System software from IBM, customized to run on the 4680 systems.

BillyGr

Quote from: Ames303 on May 11, 2015, 05:34:22 PM
The Ames and Zayre receipts contain the cashier's social security numbers on them. How times have changed as far as privacy protection goes.

I recognize the card SKU right away - 81230013. I can't see the other SKU on the receipt but if it's STA it probably begins with 661.

Both of receipts are pre-scanning days and are running a customized version of the 3680 Retail Store System software from IBM, customized to run on the 4680 systems.

66169304, I think is the other number.

Also - even though those may be SS#'s (not that an average person would know that they weren't just a store ID #) it probably doesn't make any difference unless you knew the cashier personally as you wouldn't have any other info (name, address, etc.) to go with it, and at that time such info wouldn't have been that easy to find as it could be today.

TheFugitive

Something is wrong.  Both the Ames receipt and the Zayre receipts appear to be from an IBM 3680.

I am well familiar with those, as that is what Ames was running when I worked for them.
They sent me to Jacksonville, Florida for six weeks after the Zayre acquisition to help convert that
location into an Ames store.  Zayre at the time was using NCR registers, and the receipts did not
look like this.

And the IBM registers we installed there were 4683's (which was a challenge because I arrived from
a Michigan store using 3680's with no warning, and I had to train the entire crew on them). 

Plus the Zayre receipt says at the bottom "It Pays to Shop at Zayre Everyday!"  That was actually
the Ames slogan at the time, "It Pays to Shop at Ames Everyday!"  So my guess is that this receipt
came from a Zayre store that got converted to IBM machines, yet continued to run under the Zayre
name for some time.

This is not how we did it in Jacksonville.  We "flash cut" to the new registers and the Ames name
on the same day.

Ameskid

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 12, 2015, 01:33:19 PM
This is not how we did it in Jacksonville.  We "flash cut" to the new registers and the Ames name
on the same day.
In cases like this, how long would rebranding for the entire store (pricing if necessary, fixtures, signage, etc.) take in most cases? Was it about the same process by the time the Hills acquisition came along?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Ames303

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 12, 2015, 01:33:19 PM

Something is wrong.  Both the Ames receipt and the Zayre receipts appear to be from an IBM 3680.

I am well familiar with those, as that is what Ames was running when I worked for them.
They sent me to Jacksonville, Florida for six weeks after the Zayre acquisition to help convert that
location into an Ames store.  Zayre at the time was using NCR registers, and the receipts did not
look like this.

And the IBM registers we installed there were 4683's (which was a challenge because I arrived from
a Michigan store using 3680's with no warning, and I had to train the entire crew on them). 

Plus the Zayre receipt says at the bottom "It Pays to Shop at Zayre Everyday!"  That was actually
the Ames slogan at the time, "It Pays to Shop at Ames Everyday!"  So my guess is that this receipt
came from a Zayre store that got converted to IBM machines, yet continued to run under the Zayre
name for some time.

on the same day.

Both receipts are from 4683s. The "CASH-1" gives it away as 4680 Retail Sales Application, with customization to show the three letter department code and eight digit SKU per item line. It was designed for scanning but Ames didn't implement scanning for a few years.

The 3680 system of that era printed an Ames logo at the top of the receipt and the header information was two lines, including a DOC # that was about 10 digits long, containing the store number, register number, transaction number and checksum ID.  In the early 90s (maybe 91 or 92), the 3680 systems were upgraded to use scanning and the same software (to the best of the ability of the terminal) as the 4680 systems in the former Zayre stores.

The tendered information was all right justified on the original 3680 software.

I know the Zayre stores in New York and Massachusetts were converted to IBM registers with the "It Pays To Shop At Zayre Everyday!" slogan at the bottom, before the store was actually rebranded as an Ames. The registers accepted both the Zayre Style and Ames SKU at the cut (in fact the SKU button was labeled Ames SKU), with Zayre style being entered as XX00XXXX with the first two digits being Zayre department and last four digits being Zayre style, and entered using the Enter key instead of SKU key.

TheFugitive

ahh, I see.   We did not do it that way in Florida.

Though I thought the 4683's came in long after all of the stores were all scanning.
(back in Michigan we were all scanning on 3680's)

Ames303

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 13, 2015, 02:14:19 PM
ahh, I see.   We did not do it that way in Florida.

Though I thought the 4683's came in long after all of the stores were all scanning.
(back in Michigan we were all scanning on 3680's)

Before the conversion to the IBM 3680s, there were one or two stores using DTS model 440 registers with the three digit class system. I have no idea how those registers handled the two pass SKU system the mechanical registers used but I remember the receipts show DP for the class number.

Ames303

Here's a Zayre receipt after the Ames take over but before that particular store was converted to Ames branding. This is from a brand new IBM 4683 running Ames' software, but still using Zayre department/style instead of Ames SKU. When the stores were converted to Ames branding, the slogan at the bottom was changed and "Zayre" was replaced with " Ames" (with an extra space before Ames). I don't know why we did that but that's what we did.