Carmike pulls The Interview in response to mysterious threats

Started by TheFugitive, December 17, 2014, 08:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Carmike Cinemas has decided to pull out from screening the new Sony Pictures release
The Interview when it premiers on Christmas.

Sony as you know was the victim of a massive, highly publicized hacking by a shadowy
group calling itself Guardians of Peace.  They have been releasing embarrassing internal
emails and other information gleaned from the hack.

Speculation is that this group may actually be tied to North Korean intelligence, which is
angry about The Interview, a comedy (??) starring Seth Rogan and James Franco
which is about a plot to kill North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Il.

The group has now issued a shadowy threat to the public to "stay away" from theaters
where it is being shown.  And at least one major chain apparently wants no part of that.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/media/the-interview-sony-theater-owners/index.html

TheFugitive

The current dictator of North Korea is Kim Jong-un.  Kim Jong-il was his father who died
several years ago.  I don't speak Korean but apparently that is the nomenclature.  Kim
Jong (insert suffix here).   Sorry for the mistake.

Today the FBI is saying they believe North Korea is indeed behind the Sony hacking.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 18, 2014, 09:25:08 AM
The current dictator of North Korea is Kim Jong-un.  Kim Jong-il was his father who died
several years ago.  I don't speak Korean but apparently that is the nomenclature.  Kim
Jong (insert suffix here).   Sorry for the mistake.

Today the FBI is saying they believe North Korea is indeed behind the Sony hacking.

No harm done.

Totally off topic only bringing up because it involves the Korean language. A few times I've heard them playing English Language Oldies Music on AM 1660 the all Korean Station in NYC. Unusual to hear that followed by a DJ speaking Korean.

TheFugitive

I had no idea 1660 was broadcasting in Korean.  I remember them back when they first came
on the air with the Radio AAAHS format.  One of the first stations on the air in the Expanded Band
I think.

MikeRa

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 17, 2014, 08:43:31 AM
Carmike Cinemas has decided to pull out from screening the new Sony Pictures release
The Interview when it premiers on Christmas.

Sony as you know was the victim of a massive, highly publicized hacking by a shadowy
group calling itself Guardians of Peace.  They have been releasing embarrassing internal
emails and other information gleaned from the hack.

Speculation is that this group may actually be tied to North Korean intelligence, which is
angry about The Interview, a comedy (??) starring Seth Rogan and James Franco
which is about a plot to kill North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Il.

The group has now issued a shadowy threat to the public to "stay away" from theaters
where it is being shown.  And at least one major chain apparently wants no part of that.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/media/the-interview-sony-theater-owners/index.html
AMC and Regal pulled tis film before Sony pulled it
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

Now the major chains are staying away because it's being made available for download simultaneously online. I can see why Sony did it in this case, but I can see the cinemas' point of view as well. First-day box office results from 331 screens was only about $1 million, which I guess validates the chains' position.