Big Bear/Harts

Started by tokensafari, January 05, 2005, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokensafari

Discuss Big Bear/Harts Here

LazarusFan

Ooo...I remember.

What a great store.  Big Bear was a very nice grocery store.  Until Penn Traffic turned things sour for the company.  I my local area there used to be three of these stores.  Harts had the only toy store the floods hit New Boston in 1997 and was alot better than Wal-Mart's and K-Mart's section.

Harts/Big Bear- Rosemount(North Portsmouth area) opened in 1965 and renovated in 1999.  Now a JW Village Market IGA.

Big Bear- Waverly(south).  The place closed long before the bankruptcy around 97 or 98.  Now half of the place is vacant and half is a Family Dollar.

Harts- Wheelersburg(shopping place near Ohio 522).  The place closed in the mid-90's.  That was the place where my family bought a new Christmas Tree.  It then turned into a Quality Farm & Fleet and now is a Kroger store.

Caldor1999

whats Big Bear/hearts????????????? any one got a picture?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

Here are all the local Big Bear Stores in my area. Sorry for not posting the pics sooner!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
Here are all the local Big Bear Stores in my area. Sorry for not posting the pics sooner!

cool pictures im gonna find more info about them see what happened froom the looks of it they all went out of bizz
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

BillyGr

Basically, the parent company (Penn Traffic) decided not to try to sell the chain (either as it was or to another store to be merged into that store), they just closed them all down (and since some appear to have re-opened as independent stores or were bought by other chains)

Go to yahoo groups - look for the group big_bear - the messages there might give more info

tokensafari

Thanks a lot! Penn Traffic ruined Big Bear. If my memory serves me correctly, they were the ones that got rid of Harts!

Caldor1999

wen did they go out of bizz i tryed serching for pictures on yahoo and google but all i get are bears lol:insane:
Caldor Forever!

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
wen did they go out of bizz i tryed serching for pictures on yahoo and google but all i get are bears lol:insane:

I believe February 2004

backofthebtmdrwr

I loved Big Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been looking for info forever!!!!!!!!!

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

dayville81

Big Bear used to be in Steubenville, OH. It was a combination discount and grocery store. Toward the end, the discount store had less and less departments (especially clothing) and a outlet opened up in the back of the store. It was one of the first SuperCenter concepts in the area but was a local chain. They even had a Cleaners, Hair Salon, and Bank.

Ameskid

If you ever visit the American Sign Museum, they have a HUGE bear sign from an old Big Bear. Also, there is a vacant one in Hurricane, WV, in the same plaza as an old Ames!:boring:
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

ameskmart1

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
Big Bear Wild Card

That looks similar to the P&C Wild Card.

datrain021

It looks similar because after the Wild Card was successful with the Big Bear Division, Penn Traffic expanded their wild card program to all their divisions including P&C

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by datrain021
It looks similar because after the Wild Card was successful with the Big Bear Division, Penn Traffic expanded their wild card program to all their divisions including P&C

Appreciate the info. Thanks!!

datrain021

Does anyone have building info on any of the former Big Bear Stores?

datrain021

I was never in a big bear plus, and was wondering what exactly did they sell? I'm hoping for more info than just selling groceries and general merchndice

shakethis1234

how big was the stores

itwasmatt

they were like a wal mart supercenter.......our big bear plus had a seperate garden center... it was in bridgeport ohio

itwasmatt

itwasmatt

itwasmatt

datrain021

itwasmatt, do you know which big bear was your first pic? The 2nd is S. Zanesville and the 3r is 5th ave Huntington.

itwasmatt

i believe it was  marysville ohio
you know alot about big bear i am very interested in learning more.. my aol sn is backofthebtmdrwr if you wanna chat

datrain021

I dont have AIM anymore, but i can U2U on here. Do you know how big the marysville store was? I found the shoping center it was in but it has two empty bix boxes, on is 36000 feet and the other is 71000 feet.

tokensafari

Hey guys, check out my "gallery section on tokensafari.com. I do believe i have most of the Big Bear locations for Huntington and the surrounding areas. I have tons of big bear stuff documents and stuff on my computer as well.

Anonymous

There were several Big Bear stores near the Ohio and WV borders and all over Ohio especially Columbus Ohio. I have seen many sit unoccupied after closing when they were Big Bear Plus stores. Some changed over and others remain the same without tenants.