Main Menu

AMC Theater

Started by ynkeesfn82, November 22, 2014, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

There are 2 AMC Theaters in Connecticut. One in Danbury on Lake Avenue and one in Plainville in the Plainville Commons Shopping Center on New Britain Avenue. The one in Plainville has 20 (or 21) auditoriums and stadium seating. It opened as Loew's and replaced The Sony 8 a few miles away in the Forestville section of Bristol. Sony Theaters was another banner Loew's operated theaters under. After opening the new theater in Plainville Loew's ran the Forestville theater as a 2nd Run Theater before selling it. 2 different owners tried to make a go of it. S. Carpenter Realty the developer that owns the Plaza converted the old theater into retail space and it's now Subway, a store that I forget the name of (shows you how often I go to that plaza), Max Muscle (a nutrition store), a gymnastics place, and an indoor bounce house place called Jump N Jammin.

I don't go to the movies very often and the last movie I saw at the AMC in Plainville was TED. The last movie I saw at the Sony 8 in Bristol before it closed was Titanic. 

Pikapower

We only have one AMC Theater and that's in the Maple Ridge Plaza in Amherst, NY. There's a free standing Taco Bell, a Value City Furniture that was a Service Merchandise, and a Subway in there.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

We have several AMC Theaters around here, including several in former Star Theaters. The closest one is at Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn, Michigan, which has 21 auditoriums and stadium seating. It opened as a Star Theater in 1999 on the site of an older United Artists theater.

MikeRa

In the Philadelphia area there are 11 AMC Theatres:

• AMC Neshaminy 24
  • AMC Hamilton 24
  • Loews Cherry Hill 24
  • AMC Philadelphia Mills 14 (Opened as General Cinema Franklin Mills 14)
  • AMC Plymouth Meeting Mall 12 (Opened as General Cinema Plymouth Meeting Mall 12
  • AMC Marple 10
  • AMC Woodhaven 10 (Opened 1973 as AMC Woodhaven Mall 4)
  • AMC 309 Cinema 9 (Opened as Budco 309 Cinema)
  • AMC Painter's Crossing 9 Dine-In
  • AMC Deptford 8
  • AMC Marlton 8
The AMC Woodhaven Mall 4 was the first AMC Theatre to open in the Philadelphia area, which at the time had theatres from: Budco, Eric, General Cinema, Milgram, and RKO Stanley Warner.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

EddieJ1984

I worked at AMC from 2003 - 2009, heres a bunch of pictures I took from various points during my tenure at AMC Neshamimy 24!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiej1984/sets/72157649636664222/

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on December 09, 2014, 10:05:09 PM
I worked at AMC from 2003 - 2009, heres a bunch of pictures I took from various points during my tenure at AMC Neshamimy 24!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiej1984/sets/72157649636664222/

I had an interview at my local AMC in Plainville, Connecticut back in '09 when I was 27 years old. The manager who interviewed me flat out told me he'd rather hire a 16 year old high school student. I also don't agree with the part of their dress code that says you have to wear black socks.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on December 10, 2014, 08:29:54 AM
I also don't agree with the part of their dress code that says you have to wear black socks.

I once worked for a grocery store that adopted a dress code (mainly due to young female
employees who came to work very scantily clad.  But legally the code had to be gender-neutral).
The dress code required every employee to wear a black tie.

You ever actually try to find a black tie?  Outside of funeral parlors in the Soviet Union they
were virtually unattainable.  The day the dress code went into effect there were a bunch of
guys out in the parking lot spray painting their old ties black.

EddieJ1984

Yea, it was black socks when I was there, also black shoes too. I know shortly after I left they changed their uniform to black pants and a black tshirt. When I worked there it was a red polo with navy pants for regular workers and navy polo and khakis for the leads. They got rid of the lead position too around the same time. I liked the polo shirts better, looked more professional.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on December 10, 2014, 09:48:04 PM
Yea, it was black socks when I was there, also black shoes too. I know shortly after I left they changed their uniform to black pants and a black tshirt. When I worked there it was a red polo with navy pants for regular workers and navy polo and khakis for the leads. They got rid of the lead position too around the same time. I liked the polo shirts better, looked more professional.
I still work for AMC, and it is still black T-Shirt (provided by AMC Amazing), and black pants and black socks (self provided), and it will be 14 years for me and AMC.  Been through the buyout of General Cinema, and the merger with Loews Cineplex (in philly started as The Stanley Co. by Stanley and Jules Mastbaum, and in NYc started as Lowes by Marcus Lowe)

ynkeesfn82

10 years after AMC and LOEWS got married they finally replaced the LOEWS sign on the AMC in Plainville, Connecticut with AMC signs. They also remodeled the inside. Unfortunately they cancelled the 10:15AM showing of Snoopy today because of "technical difficulties".  >:(

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on November 21, 2015, 03:20:55 PM
10 years after AMC and LOEWS got married they finally replaced the LOEWS sign on the AMC in Plainville, Connecticut with AMC signs.

They did the same thing a while ago with the AMC facility in Madison Heights, Michigan, but in that case, AMC signs replaced Star Theater* ones.

*Star Theaters was owned by Loews from 2002 until the merger.

Hudsons81

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 03, 2016, 08:45:34 PM
AMC Theaters has acquired Carmike Cinemas.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/amc-acquires-carmike-cinemas-for-1-1-billion-making-it-worlds-largest-theater-chain-1201722224/

This will be interesting to watch, especially considering that Carmike outlets in Michigan were previously part of the GKC Theaters chain.

ynkeesfn82

This will mean the theater in Berlin (Kensington), Connecticut will once again be in limbo. It was one that Starplex was not allowed to sell to AMC  and ended up going to Carnike.

TheFugitive

Quote from: retailisking on March 04, 2016, 02:26:31 AM
Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 03, 2016, 08:45:34 PM
AMC Theaters has acquired Carmike Cinemas.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/amc-acquires-carmike-cinemas-for-1-1-billion-making-it-worlds-largest-theater-chain-1201722224/

The deal is subject to antitrust review, so it hasn't closed yet.

Interesting.  The Obama Administration has taken a somewhat tougher stance on
antitrust matters than its predecessors.  So I would not put this one in the done-deal
column quite yet.

Hudsons81

Most of the theaters with the most screens in the world are operated by AMC. Some include:

• AMC Ontario 30, Ontario, California, the first of the 30-screen theaters to open, in 1996.
  • AMC Orange 30, Orange, California
  • AMC Forum 30, Sterling Heights, Michigan, opened in 1999.
  • AMC Easton Town Square 30, Columbus, Ohio
  • AMC Mesquite 30, Mesquite, Texas

There are other 30-screen outlets in existence, including at least one former one in Naperville, Illinois that was acquired by Regal and downsized.

mjb1124

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on March 04, 2016, 05:39:01 AM
This will mean the theater in Berlin (Kensington), Connecticut will once again be in limbo. It was one that Starplex was not allowed to sell to AMC  and ended up going to Carnike.

That one is now operated by Picture Show Entertainment, along with the one in East Windsor NJ which had also gone from Starplex to Carmike.   The East Windsor one *still* had a Starplex sign outside as of this past Sunday. 

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on November 25, 2014, 05:04:03 PM
In the Philadelphia area there are 11 AMC Theatres:

• AMC Neshaminy 24
  • AMC Hamilton 24
  • Loews Cherry Hill 24
  • AMC Philadelphia Mills 14 (Opened as General Cinema Franklin Mills 14)
  • AMC Plymouth Meeting Mall 12 (Opened as General Cinema Plymouth Meeting Mall 12
  • AMC Marple 10
  • AMC Woodhaven 10 (Opened 1973 as AMC Woodhaven Mall 4)
  • AMC 309 Cinema 9 (Opened as Budco 309 Cinema)
  • AMC Painter's Crossing 9 Dine-In
  • AMC Deptford 8
  • AMC Marlton 8
The AMC Woodhaven Mall 4 was the first AMC Theatre to open in the Philadelphia area, which at the time had theatres from: Budco, Eric, General Cinema, Milgram, and RKO Stanley Warner.

The Carmike acquisition adds the former Ritz 16 of Voorhees, NJ, which has changed ownership half a dozen times now (Ritz -> National Amusements -> Rave -> Cinemark (needed to be divested so wasn't operated) -> Carmike -> AMC). It used to be a no kids theater when it first opened as under Ritz.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/12560

Two competing theaters are Regal in Moorestown Mall and Cinemark of Somerdale. Cinemark had to divest the Voorhees theater because of the Somerdale theater, but interestingly, AMC will have Cherry Hill, Marlton, Voorhees and Deptford which are four theaters that are not too far apart from each other.

retailisking

The former Apple Tree Cinema in Londonderry, NH has gone from independent to O'Neil Cinemas ownership to Carmike and now AMC. It's operating under the AMC Classic banner. It converted to stadium seating under the O'Neil regime and went from 12 screens to 10. The former Flagship Cinema in nearby Derry is now owned by Five Star Cinemas (Boston Culinary Group.)

giantsfan2016

Bloomfield and Torrington, CT are both former Car Mike Theaters that are now AMC Classic.

MikeRa

AMC Neshaminy 24 now has a Dolby Cinema Theatre.  The 1st Dolby cinema Theatre in PA

giantsfan2016

Is this true? A friend of mine told me Thursday Night was guy's night out and he and a coupe of his friends wanted to go to see the new Transformers Movie. When he and his friends go to the AMC in Plainville they were told that you must buy your tickets online in advance. The person told them that most (but not all) AMC Theaters have this policy. The AMC in Southington does not have this policy. He didn't want to go to Southington so they had guy's night in instead - Netflix and chill.

MikeRa

Quote from: Brammy on June 24, 2017, 09:02:45 PM
Is this true? A friend of mine told me Thursday Night was guy's night out and he and a coupe of his friends wanted to go to see the new Transformers Movie. When he and his friends go to the AMC in Plainville they were told that you must buy your tickets online in advance. The person told them that most (but not all) AMC Theaters have this policy. The AMC in Southington does not have this policy. He didn't want to go to Southington so they had guy's night in instead - Netflix and chill.
There is no policy like that at the AMC Theatres in the Philadelphia area.  But if the AMC Plainville has 100% Recliners, then that theatre will sell out of everything  really fast.

TheFugitive

Went to an AMC Theater in Pittsburgh (Galleria Mall) over the weekend.

There were a good 35 minutes of previews, trailers and Coca-Cola commercials
before the movie started.  This included a five minute piece from the Mount Lebanon
Fire Department on how to exit the theater in case of a fire (uhh….the glowing green
sign that says "Exit" I assume).

One of the speakers in the theater was blown, distorting the sound, and making
the movie rather unpleasant to watch.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on June 07, 2017, 06:09:05 PM
Bloomfield and Torrington, CT are both former Car Mike Theaters that are now AMC Classic.

The Torrington AMC Classic closed in January 2019. It reopened in February 2019 under ownership of Apple Cinemas.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 12, 2018, 05:13:31 PM
Went to an AMC Theater in Pittsburgh (Galleria Mall) over the weekend.

There were a good 35 minutes of previews, trailers and Coca-Cola commercials
before the movie started.  This included a five minute piece from the Mount Lebanon
Fire Department on how to exit the theater in case of a fire (uhh….the glowing green
sign that says "Exit" I assume).

One of the speakers in the theater was blown, distorting the sound, and making
the movie rather unpleasant to watch.

I saw a movie last month (Fighting with my family) at AMC Woodhaven 10.
But yea the previews were 30 minutes which is beyond absurd.
When I worked at a movie theater in the 2000s they were 15 minutes, never more than 20 minutes.
And of course I got food and the price I figured it would be, it was even more then.

Oh well, I only see a few movies usually now per year.