Main Menu

Starplex Cinemas

Started by scottw73, November 22, 2014, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottw73

There is one in Southington on Meriden Waterbury Rd, and Berlin CT on Frontage Rd. Very reasonable prices, $5 before 6pm $7 after, they have all the new releases.  Great date night destination, and budget friendly too.

ynkeesfn82

The Hartford Courant sends out mailings of flyers and coupons called CT Shops Here and there were coupons for Starplex in Southington and it also said Coming Soon New Luxurious Seating.

ynkeesfn82

Starplex in both Southington and Berlin started as Showcase Cinemas (National Amusements). They got bought by Rave. Then Rave got bought out by Cinemark. The one in Berlin was sold to Starplex instead of Cinemark. After less then 2 years of ownership Cinemark sold the Southington Theater to Starplex in 2014.

Showcase Cinemas first proposed building its theater in Southington in the later 1980s. They wanted to build on West Street (State Route 229). Residents were against it stating they didn't want West Street to become another Queen Street. (20 years later West Street is slowly becoming another Queen Street). They ended up building the movie theater on Meriden-Waterbury Road instead.

Jstar1994

I am not sure how the Southington location is but the Berlin location is very poorly managed. I know people that worked there and new employees dont get trained and the GM is awful. I never had a good experience seeing a movie there either. The lobby is extremely outdated and the bathrooms are disgusting.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Jstar1994 on November 29, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
I am not sure how the Southington location is but the Berlin location is very poorly managed. I know people that worked there and new employees dont get trained and the GM is awful. I never had a good experience seeing a movie there either. The lobby is extremely outdated and the bathrooms are disgusting.

I was only at the Berlin location once and that was way back in 1998 when they were still Showcase Cinemas. Went there as part of a High School Field Trip to see the movie "Titanic."

It's also been 2 1/2 years since I've been to the Southington location. It was during the summer of 2012 when I went to a $5 Matinee Showing of "TED". The theater was still called "Rave" then. The lobby was kind of retro looking. Didn't have any issues with the movie.

I don't go to the movies often and truthfully from where I live in Southington The AMC Theater in Plainville is much closer. Just 15 minutes away. When I saw "TED" in 2012 it was the first and only time I went to the Southington "RAVE".

As mention in a post above there were coupons for the Southington Starplex location in the Hartford Courant and it also mentioned that they would be upgrading the theater including "stadium seating." Let's hope they don't raise their prices when they make their upgrades.

MikeRa

There is 2 Starplex cinemas in NJ: Starplex Town Center Plaza 10, and Starplex Brunswick Square Mall
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

From MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Southington, Berlin Starplex Cinemas sold to AMC

Published: July 15, 2015 | Last Modified: July 15, 2015 07:19PM
By Jesse Buchanan Record-Journal staff

AMC Theatres plan to buy 33 Starplex Cinemas movie theaters, including multi-screen facilities in Southington and Berlin, for $172 million by the end of the year.

The Southington theater, at 1821 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike, has changed hands numerous times, most recently last year when Starplex bought it from Rave Southington.

The Berlin theater is at 19 Frontage Road. Both are 12-screen theaters.

According to a statement from AMC Theatres, the deal should be finalized later this year after the company receives anti-trust approval. It will increase AMC’s total theaters to 380 nationwide. Starplex had 33 theaters in 12 states.

In Connecticut, AMC now operates AMC Loews Plainville 20, at the Connecticut Commons center in Plainville, and AMC Loews Danbury 16.

“This acquisition is expected to create immediate and long-term substantial value for guests and shareholders,” said AMC CEO Gerry Lopez in the statement. “We will add 90 recliner re-seated screens to our portfolio and plan to add recliners to an additional 80 screens over the next five years, further transforming the movie-going experience for millions of guests. Our large market theatre portfolio will be complemented by new small and mid-size market theatres, which gives AMC broader movie genre appeal across a wider spectrum of guests.”

The Southington theater was one of five Rave Cinemas locations in Connecticut purchased in a $240 million cash deal with Cinemark Connecticut in May 2013 that added 32 theaters to Cinemark’s portfolio. Cinemark maintained the Rave brand before selling the Southington and Berlin theaters to Starplex.

The Southington theater was built in 1993 by National Amusements, according to town land records. It operated as Showcase Cinemas until being sold to Rave in 2009.

AMC spokesman Frank Ybarra said details of any changes to local theaters would likely be announced in the last quarter of this year.

“We will have more specifics to provide to guests once the acquisition is closed,” he said. “However, we do not expect significant changes.”

Starplex did not return a call for comment on the sale.

TRU7536

That sucks!! The prices at Berlin were a good price, 7 bucks for night movies. Guess that will end now, I went a few weeks ago and haven't seen it that packed since I was in highs school.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on July 15, 2015, 10:02:09 PM
That sucks!! The prices at Berlin were a good price, 7 bucks for night movies. Guess that will end now, I went a few weeks ago and haven't seen it that packed since I was in highs school.

Southington too. $5 movies before 6PM. $7 after 6PM, $5 movies all day on Tuesdays, and a $1 Hotdog promotion.

Hudsons81

This makes me glad that I live where locally-owned-and-operated movie theater chains are still king.

Chuck E. Cheese

Passed by it earlier today.

AmesNewington

Starplex seemed to do well in Berlin. I thought it was nice to have a small theater thrive. I wonder if AMC will name Berlin and Southington Loews.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on July 16, 2015, 09:40:16 PM
I wonder if AMC will name Berlin and Southington Loews.

I doubt it. That name faded into oblivion when AMC and Loews merged 10 years ago. They've just been too lazy to change the sign in Plainville.

MikeRa

Quote from: Marc B on July 17, 2015, 09:51:56 AM

I doubt it. That name faded into oblivion when AMC and Loews merged 10 years ago. They've just been too lazy to change the sign in Plainville.
every new theatre AMC opened in the last 10 years is under the AMC name.  Likewise with REG, opening the bulk under the Regal name.  Only out in CA will REG open under the Edwatds name.  The United Artists name is slowly disappearing.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on July 17, 2015, 09:51:56 AM

At least they finally managed to put up AMC signs at the former Star in Madison Heights, Michigan (Star Theaters was owned be Loews at the time of the merger) a while ago during a remodeling.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on July 15, 2015, 06:36:28 PM
From MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Southington, Berlin Starplex Cinemas sold to AMC

Published: July 15, 2015 | Last Modified: July 15, 2015 07:19PM
By Jesse Buchanan Record-Journal staff

AMC Theatres plan to buy 33 Starplex Cinemas movie theaters, including multi-screen facilities in Southington and Berlin, for $172 million by the end of the year.

The Southington theater, at 1821 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike, has changed hands numerous times, most recently last year when Starplex bought it from Rave Southington.

The Berlin theater is at 19 Frontage Road. Both are 12-screen theaters.

According to a statement from AMC Theatres, the deal should be finalized later this year after the company receives anti-trust approval. It will increase AMC’s total theaters to 380 nationwide. Starplex had 33 theaters in 12 states.

In Connecticut, AMC now operates AMC Loews Plainville 20, at the Connecticut Commons center in Plainville, and AMC Loews Danbury 16.

“This acquisition is expected to create immediate and long-term substantial value for guests and shareholders,” said AMC CEO Gerry Lopez in the statement. “We will add 90 recliner re-seated screens to our portfolio and plan to add recliners to an additional 80 screens over the next five years, further transforming the movie-going experience for millions of guests. Our large market theatre portfolio will be complemented by new small and mid-size market theatres, which gives AMC broader movie genre appeal across a wider spectrum of guests.”

The Southington theater was one of five Rave Cinemas locations in Connecticut purchased in a $240 million cash deal with Cinemark Connecticut in May 2013 that added 32 theaters to Cinemark’s portfolio. Cinemark maintained the Rave brand before selling the Southington and Berlin theaters to Starplex.

The Southington theater was built in 1993 by National Amusements, according to town land records. It operated as Showcase Cinemas until being sold to Rave in 2009.

AMC spokesman Frank Ybarra said details of any changes to local theaters would likely be announced in the last quarter of this year.

“We will have more specifics to provide to guests once the acquisition is closed,” he said. “However, we do not expect significant changes.”

Starplex did not return a call for comment on the sale.

The State of Connecticut Attorney General is looking into a lawsuit against Starplex and AMC with regards to AMC purchasing the Starplex location in Berlin (Kensington). He says it won't be good for consumers with AMC owning theaters in Plainville, Southington (Milldale), and Berlin (Kensington).

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/bristolpress/article_27328c90-a52f-11e5-a750-e73652137dc7.html

ynkeesfn82

I guess AMC officially taken over the Southington Starplex. When you go to Starplexcinemas.com and click on the Southington, CT location it brings you to AMC's website and it says AMC Starplex Southington 12.

Still offering $5 movies for now.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 25, 2016, 05:37:42 PM
I guess AMC officially taken over the Southington Starplex. When you go to Starplexcinemas.com and click on the Southington, CT location it brings you to AMC's website and it says AMC Starplex Southington 12.

Still offering $5 movies for now.

So AMC is keeping the "Starplex" name on the Southington theater, at least for now? I'm wondering what will happen with the Berlin cinema, since AMC is not allowed to buy the theater.

AmesNewington