AMESFANCLUB
January 18, 2018, 01:34:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Hills Mall slowly dying  (Read 4012 times)
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« on: November 14, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »

The Eastern Hills Mall is a mall in the Williamsville/Clarence area. The mall opened in 1971, but was completed in 1972 at the time it was the largest mall in the Buffalo, NY area before the Walden Galleria Mall opened in 1989.

The three-screen cinema was owned and operated by General Cinema Corporation from 1971 to 1993. In 1998 it was converted to an independent/art film cinema owned by Dispon Theaters.

Dave and Buster's is going to be moving from the Eastern Hills Mall to Walden Galleria Mall, as if that mall doesn't have enough restaurants already. In my opinion when Dave Buster's moves out of Eastern Hills that mall is going to be even more "dead" that it already was.

Dave and Buster was a Jenss department store from 1971 to 1997 then from 1999 to 2004 it became a Burlington Coat Factory.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:34:10 PM by Pikapower » Logged

buzz86us

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »

lol the same is happening here with the rotterdam mall it is in slightly better shape than your mall but their fate seems too intertwined with Sears Holdings which has me concerned.
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

^Well the Eastern Hills Mall isn't that "dead", but as I said before it's slowly "dying" and that's a shame since it has the largest parking ratio out without a ramp in the Buffalo, NY area and it's also on one the busiest road in Western New York, Transit Road.

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »

There was kind of a thread to Eastern Hills Mall with photos circa 2005 and 2012

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=234.0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:36:00 PM by Pikapower » Logged

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »

The mall is currently at 70% occupancy now.

The mall was developed by the Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation, the same company that originally owned the Century III mall in Pittsbrugh, PA. So I wonder if Eastern Hills is going to suffer the same fate as Century III?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:14:19 PM by Pikapower » Logged

TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »

DeBartolo built a LOT of malls.  He owned the Pittsburgh franchise in the USFL which was
called the Maulers  (that was a specific job description inside the steel mills, but also a play
on the fact that he made his fortune building malls).

No reason why all of his malls would suffer the same problems as Century III.
Hudsons81
Ames 4 Lyfer!

Howdy!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

DeBartolo built a LOT of malls.  He owned the Pittsburgh franchise in the USFL which was
called the Maulers  (that was a specific job description inside the steel mills, but also a play

He is-or was-also a minority owner of the San Francisco 49ers-that's why you may see a small presence from 49ers fans in the Youngstown, Ohio area.
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

DeBartolo built a LOT of malls.  He owned the Pittsburgh franchise in the USFL which was
called the Maulers  (that was a specific job description inside the steel mills, but also a play

Excuse me for jumping to the conclusion of Eastern Hills Mall suffering the same fate as Century III. I could think only one solution to turn this dying mall around, turn it into a power center.

HannafordHearts
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »

Not to mention the Randall Park Mall in Ohio, which was once the world's largest mall. It closed in 2009 and is now undergoing demolition.

Hi, I'm Seth, a 15-year-old retail enthusiast.
Come see my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56907148@N03/
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

Not to mention the Randall Park Mall in Ohio, which was once the world's largest mall. It closed in 2009 and is now undergoing demolition.

Was the Randall Park Mall in Ohio one of the malls that DeBartolo owned?

HannafordHearts
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »

Yes, the DeBartolo company built the mall and owned it until 2004, I believe.

JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

Seth:

DeBartolo owns International Mall in Tampa. The mall is way upscale...(How upscale? The cheapest car on display is $40,000. At the mall entrance of Neiman Marcus is a Rolls Royce and a McLean F1)
HannafordHearts
Jr. Ames-Lad!

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »

Seth:

DeBartolo owns International Mall in Tampa. The mall is way upscale...(How upscale? The cheapest car on display is $40,000. At the mall entrance of Neiman Marcus is a Rolls Royce and a McLean F1)

Actually, Taubman owns International Plaza, and built it as well.

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »

Well, maybe there's a slight "sliver" of hope for poor Eastern Hills Mall to prevent it from facing almost the same fate at Century III Mall in Pittsburgh.  Undecided

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »

If anyone is interested, check out this thread featuring photos of EHM circa 2005 and 2012 the link's below! Wink

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=234.0

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »

First Dave & Buster's leaves Eastern Hills Mall, and now Macy's is closing at  Eastern Hills Mall!

What's next to close at Eastern Hills Mall, well here my wild guess

* Sears
* JCPenney
* The food court
* Bon-Ton

JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »

Seth:

Actually, Taubman owns International Plaza, and built it as well.

You are correct young man...DeBartolo lives in Tampa..
MikeinBuffalo
AMESer +1

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »

I live 5 minutes from this mall and visit often. Here's what's going on:

Macy's bailed. It's now Niagara Emporium, a giant antique/flea market - type shop. Kinda cool stuff, but very dim inside and kinda seedy.

Payless went bankrupt and left.

American Eagle is gone. It's now Oogie Games, a really popular video game shop that also does birthday parties with game rooms in the back.

Aeropostale is also gone. It's now BFLO, an everything Buffalo, NY store. No expense was spared for the renovations, and it looks really really nice.

Express left. Pure Integrity Soy Candles is now occupying the space with a candle factory in back.

Sears Auto Shop went under. A sign in the window says to visit another "convenient" Sears Auto location, "convenient" for us being an hour away in Rochester.

I'm not sure, but I think that Subway might have gone under too. I haven't seen it open recently, but all the signage and things are up. Maybe it only opens after 5 pm.

A place that made meat pies left the food court.

Dave and Busters was replaced by a similar thing called Rocky's. It's a fun place.

I am trying to figure out where some of the older stores were. I was using an old directory from 2007 off the Wayback machine, but it's a colossal pain.

I think KB Toy's was where Two Kings Gaming is now. Either that or it was where Made in America is now.

PacSun was where a dumpy phone repair place is now.

The Mac Store is now where a Brooks Brothers was. They used to be down by Penny's, but they moved when BB bailed. That storefront became a tailor for a short time, then a weird office air purifying thing, now it is leased by a car company for showing cars.

Laux Sporting Goods, the former Champs, suddenly packed up and left. That storefront remains abandoned.

If anyone else has knowledge on what was what, let me know, I would be really interested.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:48:08 AM by MikeinBuffalo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: