Bed Bath Beyond
Radio Shack
Sur La Table
Joann's
Home Goods
Game Stop

And one not on the HLN List - Hobby Lobby

TheFugitive

Ames was actually one of the first retail chains to try opening on Thanksgiving.
1991, I think.  I remember we were on our weekly Management Conference Call
sometime over the summer when our DM closed the call by putting this out there.

"We are thinking about being open on Thanksgiving this year.  What do you guys
think about it?"

There was dead silence on the line for about a minute.  No one said a word.

Finally the manager of the Caro, Michigan store (a fairly outspoken fellow as I recall)
hopped on the line and shouted "Well G-- Dammit, you gotta draw the line SOMEWHERE!"

Long story short, he got called to a private meeting at the District Office, where he was
told to cool it on the conference calls.  And we were open that Thanksgiving Day.

And just as he tried to warn us, it has been spiraling out of control ever since.

scottw73

Just a rant here. If it was up to me stores should be closed on Thanksgiving, the holidays are supposed to be spent with friends and family, and not standing in line for hours upon hours for some meaningless toys, I personally would never stand in line or camp out overnight in the freezing cold just to save a few bucks.

Hudsons81

Meijer has been open the entire day on Thanksgiving since 1988.

BillyGr

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 03, 2014, 09:35:18 PM

Makes sense since they are a combo of grocery and discount, and most grocery stores are open at least somepart of the day (and have been for longer than most of the other stores).

Hudsons81

Quote from: BillyGr on November 04, 2014, 11:35:39 AM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 03, 2014, 09:35:18 PM

Makes sense since they are a combo of grocery and discount, and most grocery stores are open at least somepart of the day (and have been for longer than most of the other stores).

Especially more so since they started out as solely a grocery store, unlike the three national supercenter owners (Kmart, Target and Walmart)-in fact, they were already operating a couple dozen supercenters when the first Walmart Supercenter opened in 1988.

TheFugitive

Quote from: scottw73 on November 03, 2014, 08:13:36 PM
Just a rant here. If it was up to me stores should be closed on Thanksgiving, the holidays are supposed to be spent with friends and family, and not standing in line for hours upon hours for some meaningless toys, I personally would never stand in line or camp out overnight in the freezing cold just to save a few bucks.

If you have ever worked in retail, you are NOT into Black Friday.
Would not go anywhere near a mall or a store on that day.   It gives me disturbing flashbacks.

I missed way too much time with my young family as a result of insane
retail holiday working hours.

Would not shop on Thanksgiving either.  It really bothered me when Ames made us
order our staff to show up....or else!  Some of those ladies cried that they would be unable
to make Thanksgiving Dinner for their family for the first time in decades.