A very unusual station in Ohio.

Started by Ameskid, October 01, 2014, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

For approximately two years, there was a Gulf gas station located outside of Cincinnati, Ohio.  Gulf is not a common brand in this area; the closest one to here appears to be about 45 minutes away.  It was a Marathon before this.

Unfortunately, it closed and was demolished earlier this year.

Former Gulf Station, Eastgate, Ohio by harvestmanman, on Flickr

Gulf Gas Station Demolition, Eastgate, OH by harvestmanman, on Flickr

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

ynkeesfn82

Very unusual indeed because I believe most Gulf Station are in the Northeast US (mostly New England) and in Florida.

Hudsons81

There are also at least three Gulf stations within the city of Detroit and it's not a common brand here either.

TheFugitive

Gulf was founded in Pittsburgh and was based here for many years.
That building you see beyond the outfield wall at PNC Park with the multicolored pyramid top
was their headquarters.

They were sold to Chevron in 1983, which is when all the shuffling of brand names and regions began.
Before that time I think they had a pretty strong presence in just about every state.

BillyGr

The name is now owned by a subsidiary of the Cumberland Farms chain, which explains the majority of stores being in NY/NE area.

However, they have been offering franchises of Gulf to other areas quite a bit recently, so the name has started to pop up again in many areas of the country.  Alabama, Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, N Carolina, Minnesota, Tenessee, Michigan, Virginia, Kentucky and Maryland I see mentioned in various places below:
http://www.gulfoil.com/AboutGulf/NewsRoom/Archive.aspx

At least a couple of these were due to other companies pulling out of an area.

Ameskid

Apparently I was wrong about this being the last Gulf station in the area - a much smaller location has showed up in Milford, OH. Not sure how long it has been there.

busman_49

A quick search of "Gulf Cincinnati Ohio" turns up a couple of articles from earlier this year saying that the Gulf name is returning to the Cincinnati area.  Here is one of the ads:
Gulf Oil Returns to cincinnati

Ameskid

Quote from: busman_49 on November 10, 2015, 01:02:01 PM
A quick search of "Gulf Cincinnati Ohio" turns up a couple of articles from earlier this year saying that the Gulf name is returning to the Cincinnati area.  Here is one of the ads:
Gulf Oil Returns to cincinnati

Interesting. The ad campaign somehow flew right over my head...I didn't see or hear anything about it.

busman_49

I can't remember where I was headed, but a few months ago I saw a Lykins billboard advertising Gulf was in town.  It was somewhere further into the city.  As for any other ad campaign, I haven't seen one either.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

SOHIO once owned a couple Gulf stations in the South before finally converting them into BP stations in 1991.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on October 02, 2014, 05:47:49 AM
Very unusual indeed because I believe most Gulf Station are in the Northeast US (mostly New England) and in Florida.

Not really, as a model railroad buff, I have a Gulf station on my layout...in the 60s it was popular...

Ameskid

This former BP in Covington, Kentucky (just across the river from downtown Cincinnati) is "going Gulf":

Former BP/God knows what else, now Gulf - Covington, KY by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Former BP/God knows what else, now Gulf - Covington, KY by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Chuck E. Cheese

One of my local Gulfs became a "Fuel+"

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 02, 2014, 07:25:17 AM
There are also at least three Gulf stations within the city of Detroit and it's not a common brand here either.

It appears two of those have since closed, as the only one left is one at 8 Mile and Gratiot.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Ameskid on March 02, 2016, 04:43:11 PM
This former BP in Covington, Kentucky (just across the river from downtown Cincinnati) is "going Gulf":

I think that it was previously a Boron station prior to becoming a BP station.

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 03, 2016, 11:23:58 AM

Speaking of which...the BP station at Eureka and Middlebelt in Romulus, Michigan has the Boron-style canopies with curved sections on two sides, even though it was actually rebranded into BP from 76 in 1997 (during the period in between the Boron/Sohio acquisition and the Amoco acquisition). Speaking of 76, they have begun popping up again here in the Detroit area for the past few months, then you have that Gulf station at 8 Mile and Gratiot I just mentioned, then you have Exxon, which has also been appearing gradually here for the past several years.

Ameskid

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 03, 2016, 11:23:58 AM
Perhaps so - there's a mostly vacant lot just down the street from that station where a Boron station once stood.  Perhaps they moved down there, then the location in my pictures became BP.