Main Menu

Hello From Australia!

Started by 108CAM, January 17, 2023, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108CAM

Hi, My name is Cameron and I live in Australia. I have an interest in defunct retail stores. I joined this forum because there's no Australian equivalent and I also like learning about the history of companies like Ames.
Looking forward to my time on this forum!
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

TheFugitive

G'Day, and welcome!  I worked as a manager for a number of defunct retail chains (Ames, Hills, Service Merchandise).  I think you will find this forum interesting.

Retail Regents

Got any Kmarts down there, and if so, what are they like?

108CAM

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 18, 2023, 03:45:33 PMG'Day, and welcome!  I worked as a manager for a number of defunct retail chains (Ames, Hills, Service Merchandise).  I think you will find this forum interesting.
Thanks! I'm already enjoying it very much.

It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

108CAM

Quote from: Retail Regents on January 18, 2023, 05:40:48 PMGot any Kmarts down there, and if so, what are they like?

Yes we do have Kmart in Australia and New Zealand. Our stores are thriving and new stores continue to open.
During the last 5 years, only one Australian Kmart store has closed down.
Australia's first Kmart is still going strong some 53 years after opening. It opened back in 1969.

Many people think that the 2 Kmarts were never related but that's not case.
Here's some history on Kmart Australia.

Kmart Australia was founded back in 1968 as part of a joint venture between Australian company G.J Coles & Coy Limited (Coles Supermarkets) and the S.S. Kresge Company (Kmart USA).

This agreement lasted until 1978 when S. S. Kresge exchanged their 51% share in Kmart for a 21% share in Coles and ending the original joint venture from 1968.

Kmart USA continued to own their 21% share in Coles until 1994 and the only remaining link between the 2 Kmarts was a licence agreement that allowed the use of the Kmart brand in Australia.

In 2017, Westfarmers, owners of Coles and Kmart Australia at the time, purchased the Kmart brand for use in Australia, ending the long standing licence agreement and making Kmart Australia was fully independent of Kmart USA for the first time.

anderskarlsson