Applebee's

Started by Caldor1999, May 26, 2005, 05:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Here is the Applebee's (still with the old-school design) in Littleton, NH."077"

TRJ22487

Quote from: Zayre88 on August 05, 2010, 07:15:28 PM
Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on August 05, 2010, 07:21:22 AM
I hear APPLEBEES is on thin ice.

To me at least, Applebee's was the original "casual dining neighborhood grill & bar".  It was one of the first chain of this style to open.  It's still my favorite place to go in all the other similar choices. 

I'm not sure if they're on thin ice, but changed their logo and they are rolling out a refreshed concept.  It looks good.  However, i'm not so sure about the merger with IHOP.  One example: Applebee's in Bedford NH has closed and re-opened as an IHOP...

I hadn't realized they merged with IHOP, but I did notice the Applebee's in Nashua, NH next to Old Navy (Same road as Toys R Us and Pheasant Lane Mall) is an IHOP. No idea when this happened, the last time I had eaten there was 2006 and it was still Applebees.

TRU7536

Applebee's closed in Wallingford; a Mexican restaurant chain(Plaza Azteca) will take over.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/wallingford/article_cd990972-a9a4-11e1-b25b-0019bb2963f4.html

TRU7536

Quote from: d_fife on January 05, 2009, 09:42:06 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
The Applebees in Newington, CT in fact seems to have closed. They are no longer listed on the website in the locator. I drove by the restaurant twice during a visit to Wal Mart and didn't give it a second thought, but someone on another message board was wondering why the place was so dark last night.

Yet another storefront is empty on the Turnpike. It's rather sad. [/quote

I seen this and yes they have closed. I talked to my freind who is in real estate and he said they closed due to poorly run management.But that's a great location and he doesn't see that place empty for long.As for the Berlin Turnpike, there aren't many empty store fronts, theirs more coming in then leaving. Other towns have been hit harder and the ones that have have closed on the pike are all small.

Its been a couple of years since Apple Bees closed and it still sits empty. Two sites seem really hard to sell, this one and the former Office Max/Office Depot site.

Its not like the Pike has been hit hard, its the oppisite.  These two sites are the only "big" ones empty, everything else is leased. Walmart is expanding, Basset is moving to a new plaza along with Chase Bank, Chipotle, and a new sub shop. Holiday Inn Express is finally open, a Verizon store opened up in the old Blockbuster building. Kohls is opeing a new storm in the old Sams club in Berling and the old Krispie Kreme might become a car dealership.

I dont know why people dont want to move into the old Apple Bees, is it bc its Walmart that anchors it? A new restaurant wants to expand into New England with its first location in Newington. Bonefish Grill seafood wants to open a new place on the pike, the land next to the Krispie Kreme site. They are a upscale seafood place and i am suprised they dont take over Apple Bees.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on June 24, 2012, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: d_fife on January 05, 2009, 09:42:06 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
The Applebees in Newington, CT in fact seems to have closed. They are no longer listed on the website in the locator. I drove by the restaurant twice during a visit to Wal Mart and didn't give it a second thought, but someone on another message board was wondering why the place was so dark last night.

Yet another storefront is empty on the Turnpike. It's rather sad. [/quote

I seen this and yes they have closed. I talked to my freind who is in real estate and he said they closed due to poorly run management.But that's a great location and he doesn't see that place empty for long.As for the Berlin Turnpike, there aren't many empty store fronts, theirs more coming in then leaving. Other towns have been hit harder and the ones that have have closed on the pike are all small.

Its been a couple of years since Apple Bees closed and it still sits empty. Two sites seem really hard to sell, this one and the former Office Max/Office Depot site.

Its not like the Pike has been hit hard, its the oppisite.  These two sites are the only "big" ones empty, everything else is leased. Walmart is expanding, Basset is moving to a new plaza along with Chase Bank, Chipotle, and a new sub shop. Holiday Inn Express is finally open, a Verizon store opened up in the old Blockbuster building. Kohls is opeing a new storm in the old Sams club in Berling and the old Krispie Kreme might become a card dealership.

I dont know why people dont want to move into the old Apple Bees, is it bc its Walmart that anchors it? A new restaurant wants to expand into New England with its first location in Newington. Bonefish Grill seafood wants to open a new place on the pike, the land next to the Krispie Kreme site. They are a upscale seafood place and i am suprised they dont take over Apple Bees.

Bonefish is good!!

TRU7536

I was reading in Newington Life, someone is interested in the former Apple Bees in Newington, but the article states it isn't a restaurant. What else can fit into a building over 4,000sf? If its another walk in clinic, I will barf.

ynkeesfn82

I agree. Personally I'm sick on non-restaurants taking over former restaurants in cases such as this one. Along with the former Friendly's on Wolcott Street in Waterbury which is now an AAA office.

TRU7536

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 24, 2013, 12:18:40 AM
I was reading in Newington Life, someone is interested in the former Apple Bees in Newington, but the article states it isn't a restaurant. What else can fit into a building over 4,000sf? If its another walk in clinic, I will barf.

Well the former Apple Bees of Newington that has been empty for years has a new tenant. Looks like Verizon Wirelss (my former employer is moving across the street to the site. Atleast it isnt a walk in clinic lol

ynkeesfn82

The former Applebees in Manchester CT is becoming an I-Hop. It should be noted the two brands are co-owned. 191 Deming Street.

ynkeesfn82

Applebee's is going to be trying Tech-Free Tuesdays - where patrons will not be allowed to use their cell phones or I-Pads, or any other tech devices.

http://www.today.com/money/shhh-quiet-dining-applebees-goes-tech-free-only-one-day-1D79909895?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on July 11, 2014, 07:17:15 AM
Applebee's is going to be trying Tech-Free Tuesdays - where patrons will not be allowed to use their cell phones or I-Pads, or any other tech devices.

http://www.today.com/money/shhh-quiet-dining-applebees-goes-tech-free-only-one-day-1D79909895?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

Along with that could they roll back menu prices to 1985?   ???

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on July 11, 2014, 03:48:59 PM

How about-in addition to that, every Tuesday as well, they should start playing songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1985 (such as "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears, "Oh Sheila" by Ready for the World, "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits, "Take on Me" by A-HA and "Careless Whisper" by Wham!), as well as play Me TV on all of their TVs.

Anyways, here's the Applebee's in the outlot of the Eureka Road side of the Southgate Shopping Center in Southgate, Michigan. It opened in 1992 and was remodeled in 2012.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 05, 2014, 10:11:26 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on July 11, 2014, 03:48:59 PM

How about-in addition to that, every Tuesday as well, they should start playing songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1985 (such as "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears, "Oh Sheila" by Ready for the World, "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits, "Take on Me" by A-HA and "Careless Whisper" by Wham!), as well as play Me TV on all of their TVs.

Anyways, here's the Applebee's in the outlot of the Eureka Road side of the Southgate Shopping Center in Southgate, Michigan. It opened in 1992 and was remodeled in 2012.

And the same location's main entrance, taken by Google in July 2015.

Bdubs

Quote from: d_fife on August 08, 2006, 06:18:57 PM
applebee's in manchester ct at the beginning of the retail area east of the mall.

This Applebee's has now been converted to an IHOP. I  don't get out this way often, so not really sure just how long it's been IHOP.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 05, 2014, 10:11:26 PM

[/quote]

I don't think the 1980s were completely tech-free. There were the first cell phones, which were the size of bricks (and expensive), and hand-held video games (like Nintendo Game & Watch or the Tiger handhelds, the Game Boy would not be introduced until 1989.) Apple even made the first portable computer in the 1980s (which was anything but). Restaurants had smoking/non-smoking areas.

If you want a real tech-free experience, rollback to 1955. (think diners, teenagers, "Rock Around the Clock", etc.)

Chuck E. Cheese

The One in Newington got turned into a Verizon store.. but they didn't do anything to the building other than put red awnings in and repaint the green trim and lights red.

The one in Carmel, NY is remodeled with local sports teams around the area. I Like the old style better.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on December 24, 2015, 02:12:45 PM
The one in Carmel, NY is remodeled with local sports teams around the area. I Like the old style better.

The Southgate, Michigan location (which you can literally go inside on Google Maps) also has area sports teams (mainly high school sports teams) decorating it's interior.

Chuck E. Cheese

Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 25, 2015, 05:15:30 PM
Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on December 24, 2015, 02:12:45 PM

The Southgate, Michigan location (which you can literally go inside on Google Maps) also has area sports teams (mainly high school sports teams) decorating it's interior.
Must Be a remodel that all the stores are gong through. Hmm. If I Remember Carmel's were all mixed ages from Middle and High School.

TheFugitive

About a week before my 52nd. birthday I visited the Applebees near the
Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, Ohio.  I ordered a steak dinner and a Lite beer.

They carded me.

???

Maybe I look young for my age......but not THAT young!

EddieJ1984

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 27, 2017, 02:53:01 PM
About a week before my 52nd. birthday I visited the Applebees near the
Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, Ohio.  I ordered a steak dinner and a Lite beer.

They carded me.

???

Maybe I look young for my age......but not THAT young!

Some places now, like the ACME supermarkets here in Philly card everyone regardless of age for alcohol, its probably to be on the safe side, though yea I think its a bit extreme.

Anyways they have started rebuilding a new applebee's on roosevelt blvd since the old one burned down 1 year ago this month.

retailisking

TRU7536

Quote from: retailisking on September 11, 2017, 08:44:07 PM
After trying (and failing) to appeal to millennials, Applebee's is refocusing on its core customer base
http://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/news_home/Business/2017/08/Applebees_to_move_on_from_mill.aspx?ID={3F9FF2A1-4764-4554-AB2C-1B52EE284221}

Their food just sucks, plain and simple, never had a good experience with them. Overpriced food that has small portions.

retailisking

Their 2 for $20 was a pretty decent deal when steak was one of the options. Now, not so much. The wood-fired grill initiative was an expensive flop. I wonder how much testing they really did before rolling it out.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on September 12, 2017, 10:50:09 PM
Their 2 for $20 was a pretty decent deal when steak was one of the options. Now, not so much. The wood-fired grill initiative was an expensive flop. I wonder how much testing they really did before rolling it out.

They have at least one steak (and a sirloin stir fry) listed on the 2 for $25 section now, which still makes sense (I'd guess that meal was right in the $12.50 (possibly even a bit more) range individually, plus you are getting the appetizer added in)?

I suspect they had to do that when the beef prices jumped so much a couple years back.

JJBers

Here is my local Applebee's in a outlot for the East Brook Mall in Mansfield, CT, it was remodeled sometime in the early-2010s:

East Brook Mall by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)