Embattled pizza chain Papa John's puts itself up for sale

Started by retailisking, October 01, 2018, 01:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

I like their new TV commercial that features franchise owners.
Shifting the face of the company from Papa John himself to the people
who actually make the pizzas for you.

giantsfan2016

I hope they go under. They suck.

In '07 I was on vacation in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania and after a traumatic experience driving on I-76 from 30th Street Station to King of Prussia I didn't want to drive the Trailblazer I had rented for my trip, so I placed and online order from Papa John's to have a pizza delivered to my hotel room. It took well over an hour for my food to come. When it did the pizza was lousy, although the side order of chicken fingers I got were good.

Then in 2011 or 2012 when I lived on Pleasant Street in Bristol, Connecticut the dumb ass delivery guy got lost. First he went to Pleasant Avenue (which I don't even know where it is). Then he went to Pleasant View Avenue (which is in the Foresetville section of Bristol far from where I lived). I am so happy when the Bristol Papa John's closed for the second time a couple years back.

TheFugitive

Pizza chains always have a rough go of it here in Pittsburgh.
The town is overflowing with mom-and-pops.  Many run by old school
Italian families who make really good pizza.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 04, 2018, 08:10:14 AM
Pizza chains always have a rough go of it here in Pittsburgh.
The town is overflowing with mom-and-pops.  Many run by old school
Italian families who make really good pizza.

And there is also some of those Independently owned and operated (mom-and-pop locations included) Pizza shops that are not run by old school Italian families that do make real good pizza as well and I do know of some good places.

giantsfan2016

Greeks make good pizza too. (Brammy is Greek on his mother's side). There are also a lot of Armenian owned Pizza places now. Some of them are good.

retailisking

Quote from: Brammy on October 04, 2018, 02:22:40 PM
Greeks make good pizza too. (Brammy is Greek on his mother's side). There are also a lot of Armenian owned Pizza places now. Some of them are good.
I grew up on New England "House of Pizza" type places.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I remember when Papa John's Pizza got themselves into a "pizza war" with Pizza Hut in the late 1990s.

According to a few Papa John's commercials, Pizza Hut dared anyone to find a better pizza.

Papa John's launched an ad campaign, "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza."

Pizza Hut fires back with their own ad campaign, "The Best Pizzas Under One Roof."

During this period, Pizza Hut co-founder Frank Carney retired from Pizza Hut to become a franchisee for Papa John's.

shore72

How important are first impressions? A friend ordered a pizza from Papa John's sometime in the mid-90's and due to the mediocrity of that pie I've chosen to never try them again. A crowded field, for sure, with so many choices that I couldn't even tell you where the closest Papa John's is located.