Middletown, CT Washington Street History

Started by Bdubs, May 24, 2014, 07:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdubs

Okay, so I know a bunch of us are from or currently still live in CT. I'm in and out of Middletown multiple times a week. Washington St has had its fair share of businesses and restaurants come and go.
One building that has been a mystery to me is currently the Enterprise Rental Car facility. It looks like it was a fast food restaurant of some type years ago. Anyone know what it was?
Or if anyone has any other old history of that area that would be great. I didn't grow up in the area, learning the areas retail history intrigues me.

Chuck E. Cheese

*bump* According to a local I know(I'm also in CT) it used to be a Chinese restaurant. And from the times I've been up there, it certainly does.

Chuck E. Cheese

One of my friends lives in Middletown. He said Mazzicato's out of Hartford is opening a new branch on Washington Street.

Bdubs

Although Middletown no longer has a Friendly's, Citizen's Bank on Washington Street was a former Friendly's. The cupola on the roof is a dead giveaway. They built a new restaurant across the street, but it was a victim of the mass closings a few years ago. A Taco Bell stands in its place.   
Not related to Washington Street, but there was another Friendly's on the other side of town on South Main. Not really sure when that one closed. Illiano's is now occupying the former restaurant.

Bdubs

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on January 11, 2017, 07:01:17 PM
Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on January 03, 2017, 03:28:14 PM
One of my friends lives in Middletown. He said Mazzicato's out of Hartford is opening a new branch on Washington Street.

Do you know precisely where?

If this is true, it could be in between the Sunoco and Irving stations. Opposite side of the road from the baseball stadium. There is a decent sized building being renovated there.

Chuck E. Cheese

They didn't say where - but some research shows that it's going to be on 752 Washington St...west of Old Mill Rd.