Hess sells its stations to Marathon

Started by ynkeesfn82, May 22, 2014, 12:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Hess has sold all its stations to Marathon. They will begin to phase out The Hess brand over the next 3 years. Hess will continue to produce the trucks for the holiday season and will sell them online.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-22/marathon-petroleum-to-acquire-hess-retail-unit-for-2-87-billion.html

Stork of The Weak

Good about the trucks. Long ago I took a trip to Colombia working for a Hess affiliate, and Hess sent me one of the trucks to my hotel room.

Bdubs

When I was buying this past year's Hess truck at a station, the person behind the counter was the owner of the store.  She was telling me that this might be the last year to get a truck in the store.  Guess the sale has been in the works for about a year now.  Too bad, I love the Hess image, and the look of their stations.

BillyGr

Quote from: Bdubs on May 22, 2014, 04:45:00 PM
When I was buying this past year's Hess truck at a station, the person behind the counter was the owner of the store.  She was telling me that this might be the last year to get a truck in the store.  Guess the sale has been in the works for about a year now.  Too bad, I love the Hess image, and the look of their stations.

Yes, this article (and one in our local paper) indicate that they will still be available at stores this year (2014) - probably since it's the 50th anniversary.  Thereafter they would be online only (unless, of course, the new ownership sees that it boosts traffic at the stations and works out something to continue offering them, or maybe a Marathon Truck line to go along with it?).

buzz86us

finally I can get Slurpee-style freezes in upstate NY Cumberland Farms might as well just forget about their chillzones $1.50 for 44oz is awesome!

jamesway_95

Sad. I like the Hess brand. It left my area years ago.

EddieJ1984

All the Hess's around me and on the way to work have been converted to Speedway's.

ynkeesfn82

I haven't been by the ones in Southington and Bristol Connecticut lately, but last I knew both still had the HESS Brand even though the property has been transferred to Marathon. I don't go that way very often.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on April 13, 2015, 06:40:44 AM
I haven't been by the ones in Southington and Bristol Connecticut lately, but last I knew both still had the HESS Brand even though the property has been transferred to Marathon. I don't go that way very often.

No changes that I've seen here in NY either (Albany area) - perhaps they are doing it one area at a time?

Quote from: buzz86us on May 29, 2014, 04:05:25 PM
finally I can get Slurpee-style freezes in upstate NY Cumberland Farms might as well just forget about their chillzones $1.50 for 44oz is awesome!
Except that at $0.89 (for 32 oz. or so) the Cumberland ones are still a better deal per oz.

Bdubs

A few of the remaining Hess stations here in Southeast CT are still Hess branded.

buzz86us

I wish they'd just convert to Speedway and bring in some Slurpee machines... a few hess stations have them, but they are very poorly maintained so quality is terrible

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on April 13, 2015, 06:06:55 PM
A few of the remaining Hess stations here in Southeast CT are still Hess branded.

The one on the pike still said Hess