KFC/Taco Bell combo stores

Started by TheFugitive, May 15, 2014, 02:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

OK, I know both are owned by Yum! Brands, and that they have doubled-up on them in some
locations.

Was in one yesterday for the first time, and I have to say, I don't get it.

The space was VERY limited.  Roughly half the length of your typical McDonalds counter.
And yet the menu was MASSIVE.  Overwhelming even.  You could see the quizzical looks
on faces as customers pondered the endless choices...chicken or taco?, burrito or pot pie?...
and is that the price or the calorie count?

Also, most of the Taco Bell items were labor intensive (some assembly required), while most of the
KFC items just involved tossing precooked chicken in a bucket.  This led to customers who ordered
KFC product leapfrogging the line and getting their orders long before Taco Bell customers who had
placed their orders first.

Likewise the dual production lines in the kitchen looked quite chaotic, and I think if someone had
split their order between KFC and Taco Bell items, all bets would have been off.

The A&W/Long John Silver's combo store I had been to several times previously did not
seem nearly this insane.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 15, 2014, 02:42:47 PM
OK, I know both are owned by Yum! Brands, and that they have doubled-up on them in some locations.

Was in one yesterday for the first time, and I have to say, I don't get it.

The space was VERY limited.  Roughly half the length of your typical McDonalds counter.  And yet the menu was MASSIVE.  Overwhelming even.  You could see the quizzical looks on faces as customers pondered the endless choices...chicken or taco?, burrito or pot pie?...  and is that the price or the calorie count?

Also, most of the Taco Bell items were labor intensive (some assembly required), while most of the KFC items just involved tossing precooked chicken in a bucket.  This led to customers who ordered KFC product leapfrogging the line and getting their orders long before Taco Bell customers who had placed their orders first.

Likewise the dual production lines in the kitchen looked quite chaotic, and I think if someone had split their order between KFC and Taco Bell items, all bets would have been off.

The A&W/Long John Silver's combo store I had been to several times previously did not seem nearly this insane.

Could you tell (or did you know) if this is an older or newer location?

I kind of remember the same situation with a KFC/Taco Bell in this area (now closed after converting back to KFC only) and that store was an existing KFC where the Taco Bell was added.
The other store I can think of (LJS/Taco Bell combo) was built as a combo more recently and seems to be more spacious.
So, maybe the same type of situation (adapting an existing building where room was limited)?

ynkeesfn82

I also thought YUM sold off LJS, so why is the Taco Bell/LJS combo store in Plainville, CT still open?

TheFugitive

I think it was a fairly new location.   It was at the bottom of a hill near a recently built office park.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on May 16, 2014, 07:16:46 AM
I also thought YUM sold off LJS, so why is the Taco Bell/LJS combo store in Plainville, CT still open?

Looks like LJS was sold to the franchisees, so I'd guess if a franchisee wants to keep it with another brand they could?

MikeRa

I live near a combo Pizza Hut/Taco Bell combo store, located at roosevelt Boulevard, below Red Lion road, in Philadelphia, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

I would think that the sale of LJS protected existing franchisees with dual brands.

Hudsons81

A July 17, 2014 picture I took of a former KFC/Taco Bell combo that was located at 6320 West Fort Street in Detroit, which has joined the countless other abandoned storefronts in the area. As typical with shuttered locations of Yum-owned chains (as well as LJS and A&W), it was given a fresh coat of paint into unrecognizable colors immediately after it shuttered. This originally opened as a KFC in the 1970's, added a Taco Bell menu sometime between 1994 and 1997 and closed in very early 2013.

TheFugitive

Detroit being essentially my wife's hometown, such photos make me very sad.

JSIDA17

I live by a Taco Bell/KFC combo store in Webster, MA, and I have to say that the store isn't cramped at all. But then again, the store was built ground up in 2007, not sometime in the 70's...

The Taco Bell/KFC hybrid in Brooklyn, CT is extremely cramped though.

Chuck E. Cheese

Nothing out if the ordinary, these brands(plus Pizza Hut and Long John Silvers) are all owned by YUM(and they are owned by Pepsi)

Pikapower

Why is it that KFC always gets paired with Taco Bell?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on April 25, 2016, 05:33:41 AM
Nothing out if the ordinary, these brands(plus Pizza Hut and Long John Silvers) are all owned by YUM(and they are owned by Pepsi)
YUM! Brands no longer owns Long John Silver's or A&W, yet they are still co-branded with KFC, Taco Bell, or other restaurants owned by YUM! Brands.

Chuck E. Cheese

Guess my info needs to be brushed upon, lol

Bdubs

The KFC/Taco Bell combo restaurant in Norwich, CT was actually built as just a KFC. A couple years later they split the restaurant to make it a combo deal. This was probably back in the mid 90s. 

Pikapower

I think Taco Bell and KFC need to come up with crossover menu items like a taco that is made with a fried chicken filet instead of a shell or tortilla! ;)

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on May 12, 2016, 02:47:21 PM
I think Taco Bell and KFC need to come up with crossover menu items like a taco that is made with a fried chicken filet instead of a shell or tortilla! ;)
Or maybe they could do a cross-over menu item with Pizza Hut, like a Taco Chicken Pizza. ;D

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 16, 2016, 08:20:21 PM
Or maybe they could do a cross-over menu item with Pizza Hut, like a Taco Chicken Pizza. ;D

Or maybe Taco Bell and Pizza Hut can do a crossover taco pizza, a taco with shell that made of pizza.   ;D

Quote from: Pikapower on May 18, 2016, 06:16:59 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 16, 2016, 08:20:21 PM

Or maybe Taco Bell and Pizza Hut can do a crossover taco pizza, a taco with shell that made of pizza.   ;D
Or a Crunchwrap stuffed with Pizza Hut and KFC ingredients.  ;D