Green Park inn/ Northway inn albany ny

Started by buzz86us, March 28, 2014, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz86us

Does anyone remember this hotel i worked there for a year but i never really knew much about the property in its glory days i was down in the basements and it looks like they operated a coffee shop or a restaurant there if someone could tell me something about this place i'd appreciate it. I heard it was a front or something way back.

BillyGr

Just a couple things I found with a quick search:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/100697741640564866/

This first one looks vaguely familar (the sign style) so it has to be the more recent of the shots.  Does mention restaurant and cocktail lounge.  Probably dating back enough when there weren't 7 zillion other places to eat within a 5 minute radius :)

http://motelpostcards.blogspot.com/2010/09/northway-inn-albany-new-york.html

Aside from that, have been by many times but not in it, so no help there.  Sort of surprising that it didn't do better with the location (though perhaps as traffic increased and the access became more difficult the variety of other options on Wolf Road made it less desirable)?

buzz86us

well in truth the renovations made it into a shell of its former self it was a pain in the ass to get in after seeing that photo i was hard-pressed to believe that that was the same motel I had worked in. I would have loved to stay there in its prime... replacing that awesome canopy with the awning was a total mistake. It mainly closed because it was built on rented land and I think it is still in dispute...

buzz86us

just an update it is currently demolished to make way for Cole's Colision

HannafordHearts

Wow, I didn't expect to see a topic about this hotel at the top of the section. I've driven by this hotel many, many times. It is true that it has now been demolished for Cole's Collision. This hotel was also a Knights Inn at one time; I remember seeing a picture somewhere.

BillyGr

It also used the name Regency for a short time (as did the now defunct property at Exit 23 that was originally a Howard Johnson motel & restaurant).  This was a small chain (maybe 10 or less), I know there is still one in West Springfield MA but not sure if others still exist.