Safeway and Albertsons plan to get married

Started by ynkeesfn82, March 06, 2014, 06:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

JimSawhill

Quote from: store215 on August 30, 2015, 11:32:25 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on August 30, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

If I had an 18 store chain, I wouldn't buy 146 stores in a different region. Reason #1 would be different markets, reason #2 would be you are buying something that is 70 times bigger than you. If I had a 20 supermarkets (Sawhill's for instance) in Connecticut and Western Mass and (lets say) Federal Tea offered me 150 stores in Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Kentucky and West Virginia, or 7 stores in Rhode Island, Eastern Massachusetts and Connecticut, I would buy the 7 stores, because I know the market.

Exactly...it seems like common sense to me for a teeny tiny business to suddenly grow 15x times your size, in completely unfamiliar territory, but what do I know....I swear people in these executive positions have zero common sense..all they see is possible dollar signs.
I almost want to believe it was don't purposely so Haggen will fail, close all the stores, then Safeway/Albertsons can swoop back in and pick up some of the locations again (unless there is some kind of clause about this), as I can't believe a business could make such an asinine move.

True...when I worked for Caldor's when it was in bankruptcy, they bought new shopping carts..I told my boss that it was stupid...

MikeRa

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

With ACME supposed to be getting 4 stores in Fairfield County Connecticut I wonder if they'll expand further into Connecticut. It's been 5 years since Shaw's pulled out and that was under a different owner.

If they wanted to they could put ACME in Connecticut in the following locations:

1. Naugatuck - New Haven Road Former A&P

2. Bridgeport - Madison Avenue Former Stop & Shop

3. Meriden - East Main Street part of former Lowes.

4. New Britain - West Main Street former Shaw's.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on September 22, 2015, 06:46:26 PM
With ACME supposed to be getting 4 stores in Fairfield County Connecticut I wonder if they'll expand further into Connecticut.

The current owner has pulled back a bit in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island with their Shaw's banner, so I think they'll tread carefully in Connecticut.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on September 25, 2015, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: Marc B on September 22, 2015, 06:46:26 PM
With ACME supposed to be getting 4 stores in Fairfield County Connecticut I wonder if they'll expand further into Connecticut.

The current owner has pulled back a bit in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island with their Shaw's banner, so I think they'll tread carefully in Connecticut.

On the other hand, they've done quite an expansion with the Acme label (not just those 4 in CT, but several in NY where they haven't been in many years, returning to a number of parts of Northern NJ and a total that makes around 65% of their existing store count added in one swoop).
On the other hand, they might not be as quick to expand if they have to build the stores (which would be the case for much of CT, unless they can find other empty store locations or a small chain willing to sell out...).

MikeRa

ynkeesfn82

Albertson's faces $9 million loss this quarter. Part of this is related to the Albertson's/Safeway marriage.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/albertsons-expects-strong-2q-comps-9m-loss

MikeRa

Here is a Halloween bag with all the Albertsons Companies stores: