Mercury Fuels purchase defunct Plainville, CT gas station

Started by ynkeesfn82, February 21, 2014, 02:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Mercury Fuels based in Waterbury, Connecticut which owns/operates about 2 dozen gas stations in Connecticut has purchased the closed Getty Station at 301 East Street (Route 10) in Plainville. They own many different brands and there is no word yet as to what brand the new station will be or when they will open.

Here is a list of their current locations. http://www.mercuryfuel.com/gas/retail.php

ynkeesfn82

The gas station is supposed to be opening in a week or two, but they still don't have a new sign up yet. They painted the canopy blue. I know it won't be a Sunoco because they're already next door. I don't think it will be Gulf either. because t'll be the 4th one in this town of about 22,000 citizens. There's one on North Washington Street near the Route 72 OnRamp that used to be Exxon. L.E. Belcher just opened a Gulf Station last year on New Britain Avenue next to Crowley Ford across from Kohl's and the Route 72 On/Off Ramp. It's not too far from this new station, and there's a Cumberland Farms on Broad Street. Cumberland Farms is Gulf Gas. I also don't think it will be Mobil as there's one right down the street.

ynkeesfn82

They finally took down the old Getty signs over the weekend. They haven't opened yet or come up with the new branding. Mercury has been doing a lot of work over the last few days.

ynkeesfn82

So yesterday Mercury put up the sign with the new name of the gas station. In big letters it said VP. In small script it said Racing ad in big letters it said FUELS. Never hear of VP Fuels. And I'm 100% sure it's VP and not BP.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on April 04, 2014, 11:57:14 AM
So yesterday Mercury put up the sign with the new name of the gas station. In big letters it said VP. In small script it said Racing ad in big letters it said FUELS. Never hear of VP Fuels. And I'm 100% sure it's VP and not BP.

A little history from their site:
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469658.html

Looks like they are just beginning to get into gas stations, having been (as the name implies) a race related company.
One interesting thing they advertise is small engine fuels that are supposed to stop issues caused by using regular gas with ethanol in smaller engines (like mowers, tools etc.)

Bdubs

This is good news. E85, which is a fuel very difficult to find here in CT will be available there. Its 85% ethanol, which has a higher octane than 93. Its great for fuel efficient cars, but highly sought out for modified high performance engines.

ynkeesfn82

So my Mom stopped at the VP station in Plainville and put gas in her rental car. They have gas in 87, 93, and 101 octane. The 101 is their racing fuel and is currently going for $8.999 Of course the rental car gets 87.