Getty selling dozens of staions

Started by ynkeesfn82, May 18, 2013, 10:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Getty is selling dozens of its gas stations. Some are Getty, others are BP, some are open, and others are shuttered.

http://www.nrc.com/1304/properties/search.html

P.S. Although not included in the sale the last Getty Station in my area closed. The Getty Station at East and Whiting Streets in Plainville, CT actually stopped selling gas several months ago, but they had kept the store open. The store closed within the last 2 weeks.

MikeRa

All of the Getty stations, and most of the former Mobil stations in the Philadelphia area are now Lukoil
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: MikeRa on April 22, 2014, 02:51:19 PM
All of the Getty stations, and most of the former Mobil stations in the Philadelphia area are now Lukoil

Um... there still are PLENTY of Getty stations in the Philly area.

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 23, 2014, 03:45:06 PM

They are still owned by Lukoil, even if the Lukoil name is not on the buildings.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

store215

Quote from: MikeRa on April 24, 2014, 06:11:01 AM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 23, 2014, 03:45:06 PM

They are still owned by Lukoil, even if the Lukoil name is not on the buildings.

Actually, Lukoil sold whatever it had left of Getty back in 2011. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lukoil-americas-corporation-announces-sale-of-getty-petroleum-marketing-inc-to-cambridge-petroleum-holding-inc-117270123.html . 'Getty Realty Corp.' (which was bankrupt at one point) now owns the Getty trademark. It also owns/leases properties under other gas brands (BP, etc.)

I'm not even sure what Lukoil is doing in this area anymore. A lot of their stations are looking as shabby as Getty's...they seem to have done zero marketing as of late, and many Lukoil stations have since closed. Not to mention just about all of them are priced way more than competitors. (The one in my town is always 20 cents more than a little Citgo station down the road. They are also constructing a Wawa in town with gas pumps...it's only a matter of time before this station goes too).

Stork of The Weak

Wow, I had no idea Getty split from Lukoil. It always was weird though how awful Getty stations were (a lot of them didn't have pay at the pump at the beginning of the 2000s!) compared to the Lukoil stations, which never were anything great but looked a lot nicer than they did as old, dingy Mobil stations.

Would the few Lukoil stations that were once Getty have converted back to Getty since the 2011 split? Making these even more confusing is that a few Mobil stations in PA converted to Getty in the early 1990s for some odd reason, but none of these Mobil/Getty stations became Lukoil, despite being owned by Lukoil.

Anyway what happened to the relationship between Getty and Texaco? I had no idea there was one until I found out recently that Texaco bought Getty in 1984. Also around the same time, Chevron bought Gulf. Well it just so happens that Chevron bought Texaco in 2000 (not long after Exxon bought Mobil, BP bought Amoco, and Conoco bought Phillips 66), around the same time Lukoil bought Getty. I'm not sure when and why the Chevron/Gulf and Texaco/Getty mergers were undone. Apparently from 2000 to 2005, ConocoPhillips owned the Mobil stations that would eventually become Lukoil.

But anyway as for Texaco, even though Chevron bought the rights to their name and refineries, Shell bought a huge chunk of Texaco stations. This wiped out the Texaco name in most of America, but it has been reappearing in the past several years as other gas stations have converted to the Texaco name. It seems in some areas Shell bought all Texaco leases as a package deal, even if this meant lots of Texaco stations would have to close (many are still abandoned to this day) because Shell didn't want them, and I guess other owners were too hard to find. What's really strange is that Texaco bought a lot of stations from Shell in the 80's, not the other way around. It seems that since 2000 the Shell name hasn't done too well in areas that never had a big Shell presence, or had Shell stations that were sold/closed long ago but have seen Shell return. For example a number of Shell stations in the Northeastern states (many, many but not all of which were once Texaco, and maybe Shell before that) have in recent years converted to either Gulf, CITGO, or 76.

News articles about the subject were a bit confusing, but as I understand the issue, a small few Texaco stations were able to keep their name between when Shell bought the majority of them and when Chevron started to open new Texaco stations. What's really weird about this is that a number of stations disappeared from the locator on the Texaco website in the earlier 2000s, but later returned to the site. It seems Shell must have been the legal owner (or supplier?) of the stations for a temporary period, but decided to sell them to Chevron in the end. But apparently around 2010, Chevron left the East Coast, taking Texaco with it.

ynkeesfn82

There are 4 Valero Stations in Bristol, Connecticut:

1053 Farmington Ave (Corner of Route 6 and Stafford Ave)
105 West Street (Route 69)
228 Pine Street (Route 72)
948 Pine Street

Of the four Valero locations 3 of them are owned by Getty. The 4th at 948 Pine Street is not. All 4 of them however are leased out to CT Leasing LLC of Jerhico, New York.

There was a 5th Valero that was not owned by Getty nor was it leased to CT Leasing. It was at 89 Stafford Avenue and it's now Gasman. 

There was a Lukoil in Bristol at 57 Middle Street (Route 229), but it wasn't owned by Getty. It's owned by Maureen Ghio - who's family owns numerous Dunkin Donuts locations in Connecticut included the one in back of the former Lukoil. The Lukoil station became Shell last year. And yes as Lukoil they were on the high side. Now as Shell they seem to be right on par with the Gulf Station next door, which is also owned by Maureen Ghio, but leased to Mercury Fuels and on par  with Foodbag Citgo on the corner of Middle Street and Redstone Hill Road. I'm not sure who's running the Shell station for Ms. Ghio.

Stork of The Weak

It would be nice if all the Lukoil stations could be demolished and replaced with Popeyes. I saw a former Mobil/Lukoil in PA have this done to it.