Abandoned Buildings!!

Started by Jag67, May 22, 2005, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Memphis has a few abandoned malls.  I know the Mall of Memphis was abandoned back in the 1990's.  It was a nice looking mall at the time but I think it suffered just as the DSM and was located in a bad part of town.  :no:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Memphis has a few abandoned malls.  I know the Mall of Memphis was abandoned back in the 1990's.  It was a nice looking mall at the time but I think it suffered just as the DSM and was located in a bad part of town.  :no:

that mall closed in December 2002 it had a Dillards JC Penny bouth cloed in 2002 and a Service Merchandise closed in 1999 the mall has since been torn down:mad::(
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

a old bowling ally this closed in 1999 my sisters old hosue was right across teh street from hear i use to go hear all the time it closed inlate 1999 and was bult in the 50's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the cahins keeped getting in teh way grr
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a good inside shot there putting alot of jkink in there
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the 50's walling lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hears my sisters old house lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

so what do u guys think?????
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

Great pics. It must be sad to see that kind of stuff. Me and my aunt went to her school in the middle of the ghetto to work on some stuff and I saw many an abandoned house, as well as the Glenny Drive Apts (pics earlier in the topic). It seems that there's more and more abandoned houses down there every time I go there.

storehistoryguy

Jag67

Didn't take this pic, but ahh..here it is. The Buffalo War Memorial Auditiorum (or "The Aud" for short) built in 1939. The Buffalo Sabres played here from 1970 untill the building's closing in April 1996. It's been abandoned since then. I went to see Beauty and the Beast on Ice here when I was 2 or 3. The place is HUGE. This is only the main enterance. Elvis played here once in 1956. All the hobos hang out in the side enterance. About 2 or 3 years ago I went metal detecting here with my dad..found a few pennies.

This pic is quite a few years old. It looks even worse today.

jmn3

Ahh...the old Aud.  I like the Arena as much as the next guy...the conveniences, the moderness, etc...but Sabres games were always better at the Aud.  My mom's company had seasons in the lower golds which we were surprisingly allowed to use quite often.  Nothing like being a kid going to a hockey game and sitting next to Seymour Knox and his family (for those not from the area...The Knoxes are a very wealthy family, Seymour, and his brother Northrup (a.k.a. Norty), brought the Sabres into existince in 1970 and owned and operated them until the late 90's when the team was sold to the Rigas family (the proprietors of Adelphia and the subsequent Adelphia corporate scandal)).  

But many will argue that although lower gold seats were the best in the house...the true Sabres fans were wayyyyyyy up on top of the Aud in the Orange seats.  It's not the same anymore...that's for sure.

Besides the Sabres, the Buffalo Bruins (NBA - now the LA Clippers), Bandits (lacrosse), and probably some other teams that I can't remember all played here.  In addition to Elvis as jag mentioned...many other notable concerts were held here throughout the years...Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2, the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, and really...I could go on forever...but the point is...especially in the 70's and even the 80's, this was a stop on the tours of almost every major act in rock.

Jag67

The Who played there a few times too. It's in very sad condition nowadays. It's quite a blight after 9 years of abandonment, they should do something with it.

Jag67

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
now that's the kinda stuff I'm talkin about. Real abandoned buildings. Here's one of the buildings of the Glenny Drive Projects next my aunts school (GREAT place for an abandoned public housing project). In fact, this pic was taken in the school's athletic field. You can't see it in the pic, but RIGHT in front of this building is a baseball diamond. I mean just feet away. Scary. Thare's actually 6 of these things, this is just 1 of them. It's been abandoned since the early 80's (somewhere between 1981-85).

Just went by this place today and it looked even worse. The overgrowth is actually much worse than in the pic-the pic was take in december-when all the trees& weeds are dead. In the summer, the plants are up to the 2nd and sometimes 3rd floor "windows". I also noticed a lot of trash at the site. Also- just very recently (less than 3 weeks ago) somebody broke into the building next to Kensington Ave (?) and spray-painted all over the elavator shaft housing on the top of the building.

Here's the Porches on the buildings. They were enclosed in the 60's-70's becuase people kept pushing eachother off of them.

Jag67

Here's the baseball diamond. Creepy, eh? No film tricks or optical illusions were used here-It's really this close!!

Notice the lack of graffitti on these buildings. The area these are in is so poor they can't even afford spay paint:roll:

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
and hears my sisters old house lol

did your sister rent it or own it is it vacant and why?

Ameskid

I have explored quite a few abandoned buildings in my area...

First up is an old brewery-turned-nightclub.  It's been closed about 8.5 years now.  I've been here twice: once in December 2013 and again in December 2014.

'13:

'14:
Abandoned Brewery/Nightclub by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Mental 'Case by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Fall Of The Machines by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Curvy by harvestmanman, on Flickr

...one of my fellow explorers may have locked his bike in a highly obvious place, which may have caused the neighbors across the street to become suspicious, which may have resulted in police phone call, which in turn may have resulted in the cops raiding the building and may have ended the December 2014 trip prematurely. No one can be certain, however.  ;)

A small school in a tiny trailer-park town along the Ohio River.

Back To School by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Step Into The Green Room by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Nature's Way by harvestmanman, on Flickr

And down the river and across a bridge...a very swamp-like hospital left exposed to the elements for 30 years or so.  Kinda reminds me of something out of Portal 2.

Swampy Hospital by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Pathetic Patio by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Kitty by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Children's Ward by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Diluted Kitchen by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Hey It's Me by harvestmanman, on Flickr

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

ynkeesfn82

I never been to it or saw it. I also don't know if it's still there, but there's an abandoned lunatic asylum on a side street near Target on The Chamberlain Highway in Meriden, Connecticut.

Retail Regents

This shopping center in Amsterdam, NY. One of the stores on the right-hand section was an Eckerd.

Retail Regents

Demolition of the blighted Reid Hill Plaza, as of December 19, 2023. All but the back wall of the P&C is gone, and the left half is coming down. Just the Eckerd side stands.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
You cannot see attachments on this board.