Main Menu

Lenox, Massachusetts

Started by BillyGr, September 30, 2013, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Just happened to be in the area today - the former Ames on Route 7/20 in Lenox, Massachusetts has been partially demolished.

This store is connected to a small strip which at one time had a Price Chopper, CVS, a card shop, Radio Shack and maybe one other small store.

The Price Chopper built a new store across the parking lot, CVS built a freestanding store nearer to the road, the car store is gone, leaving only the Radio Shack in the strip part.

Marshalls had taken over about 1/2 the Ames (the part closest to the rest of the stores) and that part is still there - they demolished the remaining empty part of the Ames.  No clues as to what they might do beyond that (if anything).

thpdg123

Was that Ames store open until the end of the chain? The only Hills store I have ever been to was the one up the road from there, attached to the mall.
I don't recall the mall store ever switching to Ames, but I was too young to realize what was going on. I guess their fates are tied together.

BillyGr

Quote from: thpdg123 on January 22, 2014, 03:44:48 PM
Was that Ames store open until the end of the chain? The only Hills store I have ever been to was the one up the road from there, attached to the mall.
I don't recall the mall store ever switching to Ames, but I was too young to realize what was going on. I guess their fates are tied together.

The Hills did in fact change over to Ames for a time, as did all the Hills stores (unless they closed where both had stores close together).  I assume that this (Lenox) store was always Ames (or maybe from one of their earlier aquisitions).

I believe both Ames locations were open through the final sales - after all they aren't really that close and each would be able to serve an area (since there are no other similar stores to the South of this one until you get to Great Barrington (which has a Kmart and had Ames), and nothing north of the mall until North Adams (which had Kmart and has WalMart).