Granite Run Mall Sold

Started by ynkeesfn82, September 23, 2013, 11:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Hudsons81

ynkeesfn82

The Granite Run Mall may be used as a movie set before its torn down.

http://6abc.com/703627/

MikeRa

As of today, July 1, 2015, Granite Run Mall is closed.  The 2 department stores, Boscov's and Sears remains open, as does the AMC Granite Run 8 Theatre
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

Are they going to "demall" it? (turn the existing stores to face outward and allow those stores
to reclaim the interior mall space?)  That was done to the Village Square Mall here in Pittsburgh
in the 1990's.

The fact those stores remain open tells me this is likely the plan.

JoshAustin610

The plan is to demolish everything except the anchors and put new retail in the middle (similar to the Nanuet Mall in NY), but rumors are going around that Kevin Smith's touring it this week, so if Mallrats 2 ends up being filmed there the demolition might be pushed back a bit.

mixedday

Aside from the Boscov's and Sears anchors, the Granite Run Mall is fenced off. So one can't easily peek in one of the closed doors to try to see the empty mall.

I went to the JCPenney (the last remaining store and anchor) at Owings Mills Mall today. Unlike Granite Run, Owings Mills is not fenced off anywhere. Also, it was weird that inside the JCPenney, they have the glass doors to the mall entrance, but it's not boarded up either. So one can see the empty mall from within the store.

Regarding Granite Run Mall, I wonder if they can demolish everything of the mall aside from the Boscov's and Sears. And then get JCPenney back in a new building where the old mall was located, with it Route 1 facing. It would be in a central space and Route 1 facing. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad proposition for JCPenney. But I think there might be wariness of having three department stores juxtaposed together, big box oriented, with Kohl's also an outparcel. And, JCPenney might not be ready to open a new store. But JCPenney isn't in Concord Mall, the mall to the south of Granite Run, nor is it in Springfield. So, JCPenney does have a minor geographic hole with no store serving the area, with the exception of King of Prussia Mall. But at King of Prussia, there are so many choices and one might wind up at a competitor store when originally planning out to go to JCPenney.

Most likely AMC Theatres will be courted to move to the central space and then the center could be redesigned as possibly lifestyle center oriented (maybe i.e. like Hunt Valley Center), or just function like a big box center, with basically no enclosed common area mall space.

Hudsons81

I could easily see Granite Run being converted into a power center of sorts. This is the sort of thing that was done to Wonderland Mall, Livonia Mall, Tel-Twelve Mall and Universal Mall, all here in Metro Detroit and all within the past 15 years.