AMESFANCLUB
November 19, 2017, 06:21:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/19/17. - Some progress has been made on updating the message board today. I'm going to take a break for a day or two. I feel like I'm going blind doing this. Sorry for any inconvenience. - Thanks - Brammy. marcpb1982@gmail.com - http://www.twitter.com/brammy1982

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald's bashing  (Read 688 times)
ynkeesfn82
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »

If anyone is ever in Connecticut do not go to the McDonald's on the corner of East Street (Connecticut Route 10) and Maple Street in Plainville. The employees there are rude and crude and clueless.

A couple of weeks ago I stopped in their to use the restroom and buy a shake. As soon as I walked in the restaurant I heard an employee very loudly using the "F" word. I used the restroom and left without buying anything. I sent a complaint email to McDonald's and the local owner sent me an apology email and a letter with a coupon for a free sandwich.

So Friday afternoon I went there to get my free Fish Sandwich and buy a soda. All the employees were of Hispanic decent and they were making fun of this Hispanic guy that was sitting in the restaurant saying that he looked like he just got off the boat from Puerto Rico.  After they took my order it was about 5 mins before someone took my money. I got my Fish Sandwich and filled up my cup with Coke sat down to eat and drink and the Coke tasted watered down. *Nasty*

I should've went the extra 2 miles down the road and went to the one in the Plainville Commons where the restaurant is newer and nicer.

Anyway these 2 McDs along with West Main Street in New Britain and MLK Drive in New Britain are owned by the OurMac Corporation of Plainville. (The Santacroce Family). I'm sure old man Santacroce is rolling over is his grave. He passed away several years ago.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »

I was doing some work over at my mother's house getting it ready to put on the market (she passed away a few months ago).   
It was late and I did not feel like cooking, so I took a run through McDonalds drive-thru.

My total came to $5.96.   The cashier was a very young guy.  It was likely his first job.
I gave him a ten dollar bill and six cents in change that happened to be rolling around
my dash console.

He was totally flummoxed.  He had absolutely no idea how much change to give me.
The line backed up as he just gave me this panicked look.  If he had keyed $10.06 into
the register it would have told him how much change to give me, but that did not occur
to him apparently.

He called his manager.  I waited.

The manager came to the window.  He too seemed to struggle with calculating my change!
He got it WRONG!  Overcharged me by a dollar and ten cents!  I was tired and hungry and
sick of sitting there, so I just thanked them, took my order and drove away.

This is less about bashing McDonalds than it is an absolute indictment of our public school system.  When a sixteen-year old kid could not figure out the change on this order it was bad. But when the adult manager could not do it that was way, way worse!  My uncle used to teach Special Ed.  Lots of kids who were barely functional.  And it was at a rough inner-city school. One of his main goals was to teach them all to count change so they would not go through life getting ripped-off.  And he was successful.

Twenty years later and it seems the public schools can't teach ANYONE to make change.
JJBers

No Ames nearby since 2002...

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »

When a sixteen-year old kid could not figure out the change on this order it was bad. But when the adult manager could not do it that was way, way worse!  My uncle used to teach Special Ed.  Lots of kids who were barely functional.  And it was at a rough inner-city school. One of his main goals was to teach them all to count change so they would not go through life getting ripped-off.  And he was successful.

Twenty years later and it seems the public schools can't teach ANYONE to make change.
Since I'm part of a much more rural, and in that sense, individualized school system, (If you can't tell at this point, I don't actually live in Willimantic)
while it'll be a lot quicker and easier to do it on a computer, I can still do it in my head, or at least on spare paper if the order is very large.

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »

Good thing you didn't give him a $10 bill and a $1 bill - he might have just exploded Wink

It is unfortunate that people don't learn that simple math anymore, but probably even worse that they don't know enough to use the tools available (the register in this case) to help when they need it...

I was doing some work over at my mother's house getting it ready to put on the market (she passed away a few months ago).   
It was late and I did not feel like cooking, so I took a run through McDonalds drive-thru.

My total came to $5.96.   The cashier was a very young guy.  It was likely his first job.
I gave him a ten dollar bill and six cents in change that happened to be rolling around
my dash console.

He was totally flummoxed.  He had absolutely no idea how much change to give me.
The line backed up as he just gave me this panicked look.  If he had keyed $10.06 into
the register it would have told him how much change to give me, but that did not occur
to him apparently.

He called his manager.  I waited.

The manager came to the window.  He too seemed to struggle with calculating my change!
He got it WRONG!  Overcharged me by a dollar and ten cents!  I was tired and hungry and
sick of sitting there, so I just thanked them, took my order and drove away.

This is less about bashing McDonalds than it is an absolute indictment of our public school system.  When a sixteen-year old kid could not figure out the change on this order it was bad. But when the adult manager could not do it that was way, way worse!  My uncle used to teach Special Ed.  Lots of kids who were barely functional.  And it was at a rough inner-city school. One of his main goals was to teach them all to count change so they would not go through life getting ripped-off.  And he was successful.

Brammy
Administrator
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

I have been a cashier different places - Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Price Chopper, etc. I have fat fingers and sometimes my fat fingers have typed in the wrong amount. If I have a piece of paper and a pen or pencil I can do the math. I need to see it in front of me to do the math in my head. (It's part of having ADD). If worse comes to worse a calculator can be used.

~Marc B~
Southington, Connecticut
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: